98' Signed Team Jersey

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DC_United, Jul 31, 2016.

1. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Used to see these kinds of posts more often "back in the day," not sure if they're still allowed. But I'm putting my DC United jersey signed by the 1998 team up for sale.

Signatures include Bruce Arena, Marco Etcheverry, Jeff Agoos, Ben Olsen, Eddie Pope, John Harkes, and all the rest. It even still has the tags on it. It might be player issued as everything on it is stitched with proper patches, though Yorks was never a player worth mentioning...

I figured it's best if it goes to someone who loves United as much as I do. It was acquired in a charity auction forever ago.

Message me if you're interested!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fatbastard, Marco10 and Winoman repped this.
  2. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Not a player of note but as an agent, he wasn't half bad.....

Oveki8 repped this.
  3. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Good call: He reps Jozy and Dempsey. Perhaps I should see if he wants it ;)

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a sweet shirt. The signatures don't suck either ;)

Marco10 and Winoman repped this.
  5. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    You know the signatures are interesting. When you mentioned them it made me go back and actually look at them and it's the first time I've ever seen a shirt with Dave Sarachan's autograph included that I can remember, and for that matter without Payne's autograph in there somewhere. He always seemed to get his name in there in those days. Sanneh, Gori and Llamosa each signed the shirt twice which is odd too.

And how did Slivinski get his autograph in there among that crowd? He barely played. And maybe that's Lassiter's signature in the middle next to Kamler, but I don't know about that. It doesn't look like his signature or number (15), it could be another Richie signing, but doesn't really look like it when you look close. Odd that Onalfo signed with number 24 too. He wore 30 in 98 and wore 24 in 99, so this shirt might be from early 99 before the season started, then again Garlick wasn't on the team in 99, so maybe Onalfo changed his number late in 98? Idk.

And who's that guy underneath Llamosa near the left shoulder? I can't figure that one out at all.

6. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    You know the signatures are interesting. When you mentioned them it made me go back and actually look at them and it's the first time I've ever seen a shirt with Dave Sarachan's autograph included that I can remember, and for that matter without Payne's autograph in there somewhere. He always seemed to get his name in there in those days. Sanneh, Gori and Llamosa each signed the shirt twice which is odd too.

And how did Slivinski get his autograph in there among that crowd? He barely played. And maybe that's Lassiter's signature in the middle next to Kamler, but I don't know about that. It doesn't look like his signature or number (15), it could be another Richie signing, but doesn't really look like it when you look close. Odd that Onalfo signed with number 24 too. He wore 30 in 98 and wore 24 in 99, so this shirt might be from early 99 before the season started, then again Garlick wasn't on the team in 99, so maybe Onalfo changed his number late in 98? Idk.

And who's that guy underneath Llamosa near the left shoulder? I can't figure that one out at all.

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why are you selling it?

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always liked Lyle Yorks, he came out to Ashburn and helped coach a U-9ish* Leesburg girls team I was involved with. Nice guy, the girls loved him and more importantly took him seriously. He loved when I would crack Richie Williams jokes.

*The team moved years with the same group, can't remember which exact year Yorks helped out. Time that long ago is just a blur.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    That unknown signature was bugging me so I went and looked up some of my old autograghs. I'm pretty sure that's David Vaudreuil. However he didn't play for the team in 98 because he was picked up by Miami in the expansion draft that pre-season, he only played for DC 96 and 97 and in an odd twist he wore number 24 those years.

Maybe this was signed before the 98 season before Vaudreuil left? But that doesn't explain Onalfo signing with the number 24 as he did play in number 30 in 98. Or maybe it's not Vaudruiel?

This is gonna fester! I'm not gonna sleep until this is figured out.

And how could anyone crack Richie jokes? The man was nothing but a winner his whole career. Only a jackass would crack Richie jokes........Oh, I see. Nevermind. :)

Winoman repped this.
  10. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    It's been sitting in my closet for years. I always meant to get it framed and hang it, but then I got married and had kids and completely forgot about it. Now my dream of a guy's den are over (for now) and I have no real use for it. I'd rather hand it off to a fellow fan who can put it to better use than gather dust (metaphorically speaking) in my closet. Some of those signatures are incredibly rare (never seen a Bruce Arena signature on DC merch) and due to its rarity, I know someone will get a kick out of having it. I'd even donate it to the team if they were putting a museum in the stadium, if they ever needed it.

I have some other neat things like a copy of the only 1950 newspaper to originally carry the US v England results. They accredit the goal to the wrong player. Again, always meant to get it framed. No longer have the cash to get it done properly.

Winoman repped this.
  11. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    I don't want you losing sleep over it :) I can take closer pics of the signatures if you want.

Marco10 repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)
    Every time someone skies a shot over the bar from inside the 6, I make a Richie Williams joke :D

I agree with you he won everything he touched ....... until he left DCU

Winoman repped this.
  13. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I hear that! I got a ton of stuff in bins because each new house I get promised a soccer room and then don't get it as we need an "office", a "guest bedroom", another child's "bedroom", yeah right, like that one ever sleeps in her own bed! And I don't even like other people outside the house much less a guest!

And nope, no money either although I notice the kids and wife get whatever they want because it's always for the "family" or the "house". Yeah, all that crap is fine, but hang a scarf? No, no we can't have that.

Not that I'm bitter or anything you understand.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  14. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Haha, well prior to this townhome, we were in an apartment. My wife gave me the spare bedroom's closet as my man cave.....

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    i still make a Chris Albright joke.

Winoman repped this.