9/3 US vs Mexico US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I totally agree (and would love if they did that because I'd then be assured tickets). Somebody on one of these boards mentioned that some other countries (England perhaps) do this for their fan base because, well, with the huge demand, they have to.

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Some college teams have similar programs as well, the college hockey Frozen Four also does that, there are complaints that it's unfair since it's nearly impossible to get your foot in the door in the first place, but that wouldn't be a problem with us since we have plenty of games that don't sell out. Go to enough Gold Cup games, friendlies against the likes of El Salvador and Bolivia, etc. and you'll be assured to get tickets for the Mexico WCQ (and for that matter the World Cup).

Maybe 1 point for a World Cup game, 2 points for a WCQ, 4 for a secondary competition (Gold Cup, Confederations Cup, etc.), 5 points for a friendly; you get a multiplier of 1.5X for an away/neutral game in CONCACAF, 2X for South America or Europe, 4X for anywhere else in the world; and you get a 1.5X multiplier if the opponent is outside the top 50 in the FIFA world rankings at the time you buy the ticket, 2X multiplier if they are not in the top 100.

Then you set up tiers; for instance everyone with 40+ points gets first crack, then 30+, then 20+, then 10+, and finally everyone else. Give 300 tickets to the opposing FA, hold out a certain number for youth clubs and MLS season-ticket holders, and then off you go.

Not perfect but it's not bad either.

3. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why you start in 2005. I think most willing fans can get their foot in the door.

I was actually the one who mentioned how England Fans works like that, IIRC. I have friends in Portsmouth who just joined last year. They have windows when you have to join by to be eligible for the next tournament. It's also vital for them with road qualifiers. Someone countered my argument and suggested that England only does that because of security (hooliganism) concerns, and therefore, we are neither interested nor have the resources to do this. Although, it costs 65 pounds (haven't looked at the exchange rate in a month, ~120USD), to join England fans+ (which gives you access to home, away, and WC06 tickets. I believe you have to renew each 'round'(major tournament).

I mentioned this to someone with Soccer Vacations (I know they're not affiliate with USSF) in Mexico City, and he seemed to like the idea.

4. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get the thread back on topic....

I have a room at the German Village Inn that I will not be using. The room is for two nights (Fri/Sat). Please PM me if you are interested in coordinating my cancellation with taking the room. It has 2 doubles/queens and I believe the rate is $89.

5. CA-SA

CA-SA Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Brownsville, TX
    We are flying into Columbus. Friday and Sat plans are all about the game...what the hell is there to do for fun on sunday & monday in Ohio. we're making it a long weekend trip since we're blowing cash on the flight. Should we fly into Cleveland or Cincy instead.

6. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland is fun, go to Cedar Point if you like amusment parks!

7. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup that's what we are doing. Driving up to Cleveland on Sunday and hitting Cedar Point on Monday and flying out of Cleveland on Tuesday.

8. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    What's the latest on tix sales?

9. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Flying into Columbus makes sense, although both Cleveland and Cincinatti are interesting as well.
    There is a very good Air Force Museum in Dayton, near the infamous Wright-Patterson Air Force base. I also enjoyed Malabar Farm State Park, about 70 miles north of Columbus. There is a very nice house there where Bogart and Bacall got married, as well as a real farm for city slickers to see. The whole place has a Lost Horizon feel to it.
    There are many other state parks in Ohio with scenery and hiking, but I am having a terrible time getting information about them. There is a good website but that does not tell you which one is best. I am working on this and will post the information when I get it.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Mid-June expect details to be announced.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Anything yet? :)

12. hookemhorns25

hookemhorns25 Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Garland, Texas
    How about now? :D

13. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    no news is bad news

14. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok guys.. don't make fun of me too bad, but.. I've never bought tickets through Sams Army. I see you just fill it out and mail it in when the tickets are available. Is it very reliable? I mean, will there be a good chance that I'll get tickets using that? Thanks!

15. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Always get my tickets thru Sam's Army. Very reliable, never any problems. Cheaper than TicketMa$ter.

16. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sweet.. and that will put me in the fun section, right?? :D :D

17. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    if today's version of Sam's Army is your version of a "fun" section, then yes.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'm going to be standing in the Sam's Army section and I'll sure as hell be having fun.

And yes, by "having fun" I do indeed mean starting to drink at noon and watching the US skull-fvck the scumbag Mexicans.

19. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like fun to me! :D

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    noon?

We're talking about starting the night before and carrying that us into Saturday night!!!

21. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the only difference for us is that we will start drinking in cinncinati because that is where our layover is before getting to colombus. I can't wait for the scum-************ing pigs to enter the stadium

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Well, we're going to shove 20 people on the bus with tons of beer and drive all night (well the driver will be - uh driving and the passengers wil be - uh drinking! ;)) from DC getting to the stadium very early on Saturday.

23. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think i have an issue.. does anyone know any hotel chains you do not have to be 21 to rent?

i'll sleep in my car if need be :)

24. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Joe, where did you get this info from? I want to be on the bus!!!

25. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Sorry Doug - the bus is full for Columbus. It's the WCX - went on it to Chicago, what a blast! If you want to get on the bus, do a search on Joe Gannon. He's got his email somewhere on the US thread.