9/3 US vs Mexico US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    In theory, would it be possible for SA orders to fill up the whole stadium aside from the Crew pre-sale and Mexie FA allocation??? Meaning tickets would never go on sale to the general public at all??

Also, I wonder how one would go about buying tickets through the Mexican allocation?? I've already got my order in (and I doubt they'd sell to a guy with an English last name anyway), but any loyal Yanks with Hispanic names out there up for doing some investigation?? They're trying to buy tickets through our sources so there's no reason we shouldn't do the same to them, and if you've got the right name (somehow I doubt the MFA is worried about being charged with racial discrimination) it might be worth a shot, can't be too hard to convince them you're a Mexican living in the US as I doubt there'll be many people actually coming up from Mexico for this...

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Crew sale, SA sale, US Soccer sale could grab up most if not all of the tickets for this match meaning no public sale. I think tickets will go on sale for the general public but there won't be many.

3. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    500 tickets in 24 hours. Not bad. : )
    Keep it going!! Bug your friends, your lists, your boards.
    We need EVERYONE at this one!!! EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just talked a friends wife into celebrating there wedding anniversary a week later so they could come!

WE NEED YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon guys, this is THE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bd Pleading

call the neighbors, wake the kids, even Drew Carey is in SA for this one!!!!!!!!!!

4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Heh, that would be sweet if Drew Carey was in SA.

5. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    No shizzle! He'd be treated like a god! If he's ever going to sit with the suppoerters this is THE match to do it. I truly believe that if even Tom Cruise, Nicolas Cage, etc. sat with us they'd just be another fan.

6. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speak for yourself.. i'd pour beer on him, i'm still bitter from the comments he made about my boys at the last SJ/LA game :rolleyes:

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I've never liked Drew Carey but couldn't really ever put my finger on why, I just didn't like him. Those comments proved to me that I was right all along.

I can't fvcking wait for this game. It's still a month and a half away, I'm going to the Trinidad game, I'm going to the Quakes-Metros game next week at Spartan (rare for me, I only get to go to a game out there about every other year), I'll be going to at least 2-3 days of Eagles training camp up in Bethlehem, and I still can't wait for this. I'm still pissed about missing the game 4 years ago but this will start to make up for it (won't be fully made up for until I see us win in Azteca in person).

8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    club related crap stays home when the US plays.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Game's not even for a month and a half and I already feel like I'm starting to get organized for it. I even caught myself looking up directions on Mapquest from my dad's place in Cleveland to the hotel in Columbus a few minutes ago. Realized how ridiculous it was as I went to click the "print" button (100% chance I'd lose them between now and then anyway).

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I noticed on the SA site it says there'll be a bar event the night before the game as well as after the game, but is anything planned for the afternoon of the game?? There used to be something up for a party at Tommy Keegan's from 12-4, now that Tommy Keegan's is out will this be held anywhere else?? I may end up going to the OSU football game anyway but if I don't it's nice to have other options.

Oh yeah--about to order myself one of these off ebay:

[​IMG]

11. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know C-bus is a BIG college football town and must have loads of bars but I was wondering if anyone knows of any specific spots to check out some games before we all head to Crew Stadium??

Being the first weekend of the season & the fact that college football is my second favorite sport (behind soccer, of course), it would be nice to catch some games. Unfortunately, MY team's game doesn't start until 3:30 pm, which is when we'll probably start heading to Crew Stadium. Just as well, since I'd probably get my head "shot off" if I was cheering for MY team in C-bus!!

12. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone's gotta get a good tailgate going... hint hint :D

i'll probably be at the parking lot right as it opens 330ish while the OSU game is still going on, that way I can avoid the traffic ;)

13. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There isn't any traffic from the Ohio State game. The shuttle parking is in a complete different part of the parking lot and doesn't affect traffic into CCS.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    BC-BYU game also starts at 3:30 so I'll be SOL too...I'm sure there'll be sports bars near the stadium but I'd bet they'll just be showing the OSU game. If there's a big, touristy Jillian's-type place they'd be a lot more likely to have other games on than just your run-of-the-mill sports bar. I've never been to Columbus at all so I don't know.

I'm definitely starting to warm up to the idea of heading to a bar and taking in one of the noon games instead of going to OSU. Even if I went to the OSU game I'd probably leave halfway through the 3rd quarter anyway to get to CCS nice and early and I can't really justify spending $50-60 on a ticket for that. I'll definitely go to OSU for some of the pre-game tailgating festivities but probably won't stick aroudn for the actual game.

Maybe one of the Columbus folks can suggest a place to gather from around 12-3:30 now that TK's is out??

In any event, there are a few decent games that day (Notre Whore-Pitt, Virginia Tech-NC State, Auburn-Georgia Tech) but most of them seem to be night or late-afternoon kickoffs. Best early-afternoon game for a neutral seems to be West Virginia-Syracuse which is at 1:30. Anyone know if there are any European or South American WCQs that day??

As an aside, how freaking stupid is MLS?? All their games on 9/3 are at night!! Metros-KC at 7:30, Quakes-Dallas at 8:30, Rapids-DCU and Revs-RSL at 9:30, Crew-Chivas at 10. If they were smart they'd have some noon, 2:30, and 5:00 kickoffs as appetizers for the main event at 7:30...shouldn't affect the TV ratings too much as only 2 of the games will directly conflict with US-Mexico, but who the hell is going to go to these games??

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Oh all three orders for KC fans were sent in Friday afternoon. Don't you worry about that. See you there.

16. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are really no options around CCS as far as bars are concerned; however, there are numerous bars throughout the city where college football games other than the OSU-Miami game will be televised. If you're looking for a Jillians-type place, our Jillians closed a couple years ago, but there are numerous places that are very similar in style, which I'll get to later.

If you're going to be on campus for the pre-game tailgates (which I HIGHLY recommend--there is nothing, NOTHING like being in Columbus on an OSU home gameday), you could easily take a quick cab ride to the Arena District ( www.arena-district.com ) and take in several games at Brothers (formerly Jillian's) or its neighbor, Gaswerks. They have pool tables, tons of TVs, a huge patio, bubble hockey, Golden Tee, and probably some really good drink specials for the games.

There is also the infamous Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar Bar, also in the Arena District, which should have a nice crowd, and usually has a lot of eye candy. O'Shaughnessy's is also in the area, if you'd like to watch the games Irish pub-style. Other options in this area include Barley's, Novak's, the Char Bar, and Gibby's. In short, you can NOT go wrong by going to the Arena District to watch the games.

If you'd like to be immersed in the tradition and history of OSU athletics, you could watch the games at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe on Olentangy River Road (not far from Ohio Stadium), which is kind of like a Hard Rock Cafe, except filled with OSU memorabilia. It has an enormous game room, with pool tables, several bars, and even has TVs in the bathrooms!

I hope these options sound decent and you find something enjoyable. I can provide additional options if none of these work. I would recommend taking a cab to the OSU campus just to experience it, though, I can't stress that enough. Make sure you get to "Hineygate", which is a gameday tradition; also, buy something from one of the vendors lining Lane Avenue...you just can't beat walking around with something fattening and greasy in one hand and a beer in the other, while taking in the sights and sounds of a big-time college football atmosphere.

17. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Alex, where did the info come on TK's being out before too many get confused ? Last i heard Rich and the C-bus bhoys were working on TK's for the night before and post match spot? Are you just saying pre match day ? maybe we should try to have the stadium gates opne early so we can all hang at the stadium. Better than the Mcdonalds across the street LOL

18. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I just faxed my order!!!! :D

19. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, well there still better be good tailgates :D

20. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlist=event&Mid=70

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Jim,

I posted this, and the info. came straight from the the gang in Columbus organizing things.

Evan

22. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sounds good, thanks a lot for the info.

Right now my plan is to try to check into my hotel as soon as I get to Columbus around 10 (the website says I can't until 4 but I'll see if they'll let me anyway), head over to OSU and hang out at the tailgate for awhile, head to a bar (the US supporters pre-tailgate party if there is one, otherwise just someplace to watch some football) until around 3, then take a cab over to CCS and tailgate (head into the stadium aroudn 6-6:30). After the game I'll probably head over to the post-game party and hopefully end up partying all night and passing out in my car because I'm in no condition to drive back to my hotel.

I'm also planning to bring my car to CCS first thing in the morning, park it as close to there as possible (McDonald's if I have to, I'll pop in and buy an order of nuggets and they won't complain), would you suggest this?? I know the 'Shoe and CCS are only a couple miles away from each other so that cab ride should be pretty cheap but how far is the Arena District from each place (in terms of time) and how much can I expect to spend on those cab rides??

SA website as Evan and Ally said. Although I don't see why their grill closing early would be a problem for the pre-game festivities...I doubt their grill will be closed from 12-3 on a Saturday with OSU playing. Wish I could make the night before too but you do what you can do.

McDonald's tailgate sounds kinda fun though. Reminds me of my first US game, the Sallie qualifier back in '97 up in Foxboro (I miss that stadium, some great memories from that place), we head home after the game and roll into one of those service plazas by the side of the highway. Literally 2 minutes after we get in, 3 busloads full of pissed-off Salvadorans show up. My dad was getting food for us at the Burger King and these people are eyeing me and my buddy up in the bathroom, we were 13 at the time. We got the hell out of there as quickly as we could.

Don't worry about that, I'm all over it... (for the US game anyway, for the OSU game I'll be mooching off random OSU people)

23. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's right smack in the middle of downtown Columbus, so Ohio Stadium and CCS are approximately 5 miles from there, leaving you with an approximate 10 minute cab ride, depending on gameday traffic. I can't imagine it costing you more than $10.

24. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Is this all weekend or just pre game, game day ???

25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Buckeye Hall of Fame would be a fun place to watch the game from, and usually one of the radio stations does a post-game show from there. I'd imagine it would be packed solid, so you might want to get there a bit early. If you have a car, there is on-site parking. Once that fills up, they give you a map to a remote lot, where a shuttle is waiting to take you back to the Cafe. If you have kids, i'd recommend this option.

If you're trying to get to the Arena District from the campus area, you might be able to take a bus. While our bus service is pretty much suck, there are a few routes that go south on High Street from campus to the Arena District. Bus fare would be $1.25 one way. If you're a fitness and exercise nut, it's about a 2 1/2 mile walk, give or take. (There's at least 2 routes on High Street, plus the #7 Whitter St. bus that winds through campus. All of these go fairly close to the Arena District, Brother's, and GasWerks, as well as the other High St. bars mentioned.)

If you're walking around campus with beer, be warned that the local city police, in conjunction with OSU, started a crackdown on open containers during OSU football games.

There are some places where it's allowed, such as Hineygate, but once you step outside of the roped-off areas, that beer better be gone. Outside of the areas, you run the risk of getting a ticket.

If you're not in a roped-off area, it seems that most of the crackdown is focused on the Tuttle area, north of the stadium. South of the stadium, and anywhere else, get a red plastic cup, and be very smart about it.

Also at HineyGate and the nearby Riverwatch Tower, there's several monstrous TVs to watch the OSU game on.

Of course on campus, there's a bar on almost every block. There's a Donato's Pizza with a bar in the basement, there's the Varsity Club, and several others. Don't try to get something non-OSU turned on at these locations though.