9/3 US vs Mexico US Supporter Info :: Part 3

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by fidlerre, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Palmer's (I've not been to Viking) has an okay selection of Belgians.

Normally, I buy Belgian beers (and related, like Ommegang and Unibroue products) at The Andersons on Sawmill Road. This place is hard to explain, but it's worth the trip. For perspective, check out:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1825/
    How quirky is this place? Case in point, they have a terrific beer selection and also provide all the turf grass supplies for Crew Stadium.

Downtown, walking distance from the pre/post-game party venue is North Market (which is a pretty cool place) where there's a small place called From the Vine that has a good selection. There's also Kenny Road market located northwest of downtown. Just read through the reviews on BeerAdvocate, http://www.beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/40/.

There's also a Wild Oats grocery on Lane Avenue that has some good stuff.

Palmer's is very good and extremely convenient to Crew Stadium, but try and get to The Anderson's if you can.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the red we'd be wearing, a red wristband might be a bad idea. I'd suggest white, yellow, or another color that would stand out against red.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm glad I'm old. :)

Some of us could wear wristbands from hospital psych wards, which would be appropriate. :D

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Granted I've never been to CCS and the police situation may be different there than at places like RFK and Foxboro, but I've never been carded tailgating at any soccer game in the US. Is this really something we need to spend too much time/effort/money/energy worrying about?? Especially when anyone who wants to can bring whatever they want and give it to whoever on an "unofficial" basis.

Edit: I turned 21 a few months ago so don't have any personal stake in it...just think it's kinda pointless

5. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    have you ever been fined for "distributing to minors"? It doesnt matter who brings in the beer whether it be you or minors....if police do come and check IDs the individual(s) over 21 will get the majority of the punishment unlike the U-21s who will get a slap on the wrist

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That's why God gave us liquor and Solo cups :D

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's a serious matter -- regardless of what anyone thinks, or whatever anyone else cares to do with their own alcohol It's against the law and we will do everything in our power as organizers and with our sponsors whose name is on the line, to make certain no law is broken.

8. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

Considering it's made with the same ingredients, it pretty much is.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I understand that...trying to make sure anyone who gets booze is over 21 is one thing, I just don't like the wristband idea since it'd take money that could be used for other things to get them made up and since anyone who wants to drink is going to do so anyway, either bringing it themselves or just getting from someone who doesn't care...

10. FK Partizani

FK Partizani New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    To stay on topic about the beer: does anyone know if Newcastle is available to any of the abovementioned bars/pubs?

To slightly derail from the topic, I need some help.
    I have some extra tix for the Sam's Army section due to my being overinclusive in the projections of people who would come to Columbus from NYC. Some guy in Tennessee is asking me for a pair and everything seems fine but how do I make sure that the guy is not a Mexie trying to sneak in? It would kill me if I sold the tix (at face value nonetheless) to Sam's Army's section to the enemy.

Anyone has some sort of a test deviced for this situation besides calling the guy on his phone (which I'm certainly doing)?

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sadly, only way to be 100% sure is to meet up with him on gameday.

12. FK Partizani

FK Partizani New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Thing is he'll fly from TN with his wife (unless that's what he says to make the story more palatable). So I'm not sure he'll fly unless he gets hold of tix.
    What would the consensus be here that I only sell tix on gameday?

I'm also concerned that if I wait till gameday I'll be stuck with the tix (I have 5 extra). I'm driving from NYC so I won't be in Columbus until 2-3 PM on Sat.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's not then there be hell to pay. Any decent upstanding bar has it by the bottle, and any "pub" worth it's salt should have it on tap.

14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigDog as told me that he can personally vouch for several US fans on the clearinghouse page...you might want to try there...Dan's Ticket Clearinghouse

I have 4 extras right now....unless I can get a few more buddies to join me I'll be unloading them in CBus....I'm sure there will be no shortage of US fans needing tix at the tailgate...

Mike

15. FK Partizani

FK Partizani New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Well I know that's true for NYC but I've had quite a few surprising experiences when it comes to liquor outside NY. I just wanted to make sure. I can't live without my Newcastle :)

16. FK Partizani

FK Partizani New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Thanks Mike, that's very re-assuring. I'll probably unload 2-3 now and the rest in CBus.

For the transaction in question I used the Clearinghouse. It only occurred to me later that this guy could be a Mexican posing as a US fan.

17. cbus8

cbus8 Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Short North
    Not to worry F K Partizani about the Newcastles if you stick to the bars in the Short North and/or Arena District (both just north of downtown Columbus)... And to the U.S. fans with extra tickets, plenty of Columbus U.S. Soccer fans will be coming to the talgates for the off chance that there is someone selling extra tickets!!

18. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Art Kempf I know. the others I knew seemed to have gotten there tix now.
    Try calling them, the ask them something like who scored goal the heard round the world or the first yank to score a gamer winner in the FA Cup Final.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have two, I know a guy who is as American as Doris Day - he coaches High School soccer - who would kill for a pair. His wife (maybe ex for all I know) forgot to order them and he's not happy.

I'll personally vouch for the guy, and I'll send you the dough myself so there's no hangups. Let me know.

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Newcastle Brown is sold at the stadium as well as lots of bars around town. In the stadium proper, Anheuser-Busch has pouring rights so its bud and bud lite but the tent west of the stadium has a reasonable though overpriced selection of beer and liquor.

21. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get this thread BACK on topic, thanks for the update Buckeye.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Tailgate Update

It's also looking more and more like O'Shaughnessy's will be our tailgate sponsor, along with Budweiser, as well. With the proceeds from the scarf sales we should be able to pay for a fairly sizeable "staffed" grill with burgers, chicken, hot dogs -- sides too -- and if we're lucky which it looks like, folks will be able to grill their own stuff on it the rather large grill too.

All we ask is that when you come to the tailgate, please bring some cash to tip the grill-staff, it'll be greatly appreciated by them as they work in the heat for a few hours grilling up food for all of us.

I am going to start a poll soon to get an idea of how many folks will be at the tailgate so we can buy the appropritate amounts of food, so we don't run out and we don't have a massive amount of leftovers...

23. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allright, an even better update Fid. Thanks!

24. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't tease me here without filling in the blanks... R & T... must be a British Pub... that might have Fuller's ESB or London Pride on tap... I'm watering at the mouth... now what does R & T stand for, where is it, does anyone know if it has Fuller's on tap and football on the telly?