9/3 US vs Mexico US Supporter Info :: Part 3

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by fidlerre, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've got maps to the stadium, tailgate and info for the Screaming Eagles road trip in the USA v Mexico link in my sig below.

You'll need to install the Google Earth application (also linked) to use the file.

3. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    IMPORTANT FINAL SUPPORTER DETAILS

****** Please pass this info on to your other lists, friends, countrymen, etc. *******

**TO ALL US SUPPORTERS, PLEASE BRING FLAGS, MAKE BANNERS, MAKE COLUMBUS STADIUM YOUR HOUSE!! - THANK YOU!!!!**

Sam's Army Event Page:
    http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlist=event&Mid=70

THX to everyone for their time.

4. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey folks I missed the USSoccer sale while on vaca in Maine and my password sitting in my inbox. If you have extras please PM me! Thanks.
    -DrewBrown

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question about the tailgate. This being my first one, I was wondering if we needed to bring our own food or our own drinks or money to pay for stuff? I mean, I'm pretty sure about the brining money to contribute thing, but I didn't know if it was BYOB.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Excellent question. Will there be any kegs? If not, where's a good place in Columbus to get good beer? Actually, if people want to get kegs, I'd be happy help get them to the parking lot, since I'm planning to rent a car.

7. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are currently looking into places to provide a large communal grill. Possibly the official bar (O'Shuaghnessy's), maybe someone else.

The most likely scenario will be food, but not beer. Beer would present the policing problem with making sure people are of age. Regardless, we will post the information as soon as we know.

Good places to get good beer: Viking beverage on King Avenue (just East of Neil Avenue) has a great selection of cold (i.e. refrigerated) beer. I think 400 plus. It's south of campus, on the way from downtown. I can check on the kegs.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Correct. Food will be provided...most likely it'll be burgers, hot dogs, brats, etc grilled up for everyones pleasure and some sides -- though we are still working with some vendors, caterers, and possible sponsors to help us out. We should know more in a week or so.
    Correct. We will probably not be providing alcohol for those exact legal reasons, of course this could change providing there is a simple, effective way to police under-age drinking -- and if it does you can be assured will post that information here.

9. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Bah we don't need beer at the tailgate. If you're not driving, tie a few on before getting on a bus or taking a cab, then have a few more when the gates open.

10. TonyDanza

TonyDanza Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure if there will be kegs available. Typically, the Ohio Expo Center and the State Highway patrol have frowned on kegs in the parking lot. In no way am I condoning bringing kegs, but you may find this information useful. In the State of Ohio kegs can only be purchased from distrubuters. There are a few distribution centers around the OSU campus area, below I have listed the two most popular and their beer selection.

Central Beverage (871 Michigan Ave)
    Beer Offered (Listed by cost, high to low)
    Double Diamond
    Beck's
    Beck's Dark
    Molson Canadian
    Gordon Biersch Pilsner
    Gordon Biersch Marzen
    Gordon Biersch Blond Bock
    Gordon Biersch Export
    Blue Moon White Ale
    Foster's
    Killian's Red
    Leinenkugel Red
    Leinenkugel Dark
    Honey Brown
    Miller Lite
    Miller Genuine Draft
    Coors
    Coors Light
    High Life
    High Life Light
    Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Keystone Light
    Milwaukee's Best
    Milwaukee's Best Light

Columbus Distributing Co. (1000 Freeway Drive East)
    Beers Offered (Listed by cost, high to low)
    Kirin
    RedHook Seasonal
    RedHook Blonde
    RedHook ESB
    Anheuser World Select
    Michelob Amber Bock
    Michelob Ultra
    Michelob
    Michelob Light
    Michelob
    Budweiser Select
    Bud Ice
    Budweiser/Bud Light
    Busch/Busch Light
    Natural Light

If you are looking fine selections of beers, not in a keg, I would suggest the following two stores, which are located a short drive from the Stadium.

Viking Premium Beverages (237 King Ave)
    Palmer's Beverage Center (3375 Indianola Ave)

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've updated my Google Earth link to include Palmer's Beverage Center and Viking Beverage

Thanks for the info, guys!

12. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks buckeye5 and Fid.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of paying stadium prices for beer.

14. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ok...uhm..wear loose pants and smuggle in a few cans for the tailgate?

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    My 9 year old prefers Mickie's BigMouths. Can we make sure those are available for him.........?

Actually, it's my first trip to Crew Stadium, and I'm coming with 2 kids. If we go to the stadium early to tailgate, will we be able to do the kinds of stuff that would be fun for kids (e.g. kick around a ball, throw a frisbee,...) or will it be too close quarters?

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    There will be plenty of room for that kinda stuff.

17. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    There will be so much kickaround they will sleep all the way home! : )
    See you there, Bd
    kickaround ring leader ;)

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    No kegs here but I should have a case or 2 of something...anyone know if they sell Yuengling in Ohio?? (I'd bring it from Philly but I'll be leaving here about a week before the game) And of course some trusty Jim Beam :D

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring the Y.

20. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason or another Yuengling hasn't made it to Central Ohio (at least not as a common beer at distributors/grocery stores). Bring as much as you can.

On a positive note though, you can buy beer at almost any grocery store or gas station.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I won't really be able to bring it--I'm driving to North Carolina to visit family on the 27th or so, and will be heading straight from there to Ohio. I do know at least one other person will be bringing it but the more the better.

Do they sell it in western PA maybe?? I'll be in Cleveland for a few days before the game, wouldn't be much of a problem to drive the hour or so to PA to grab some if I'll be able to get it there...

22. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so excited, I'm planning on bringing so much crap

of course, I'll be decked out in red, and I'm planning on bringing a flag or two, my scarf (which should be coming in the mail soonly) and my Nat Jersey, as well as the camera

I'm just hoping the 6 hour drive wont be a nightmare since it's labor day weekend.. we are planning on leaving EARLY :D

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they sold it all over PA?

I'd bring it but that wouldn't be too cool if for some reason I was pulled over and they found it

24. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Kryptonite said above, make sure you bring in Yuengling. Any beer drinker in Ohio can tell you about beer runs to the PA border to buy it. They do sell it all over the state. My friends in NE Ohio make the runs.

25. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

Sweet, I can have that Old Style I have heard a lot about and never seen personally...is it actually good? or is it cheap crap? Either way I am getting some :D