9.28.19: RB Leipzig vs. Schalke [McKennie starts, Adams out!]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by neems, Sep 28, 2019.

1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schalke win 3 - 1 at Leipzig. Historic a number of different ways. McKennie goes 90 and really impressed with his work rate. He won’t show up top on the score sheet but he found the right time to make an impact.

You would have to make a strong argument that Leipzig couldn’t use Adams right now and the fact that he has to earn his spot back after this performance will be seen as a little silly in hindsight.

wixson7 and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great match for both Yanks. RBL need Adams back (and fully fit).

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the game where Leipzig's balloon pops? Saw a bit of the match and they looked stunned. Credit to Schalke, they've got to be thinking they're going to finish somewhere around what their rep would dictate.

4. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    To be fair, Adams' replacement so far this year, Konrad Laimer, got a red card in the last game and was unavailable for this one.

neems repped this.
  5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great point.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weston's work rate is really impressive. He does a ton of stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet... and the dude is the definition of box-to-box. That being said, he is yet another US player that just doesn't have a nose for the goal. That is the best look he has had all season and he headed it over the bar. I really like Weston. He can help us win games... but we need some guys to step up and start scoring in Euro on the regular.

Overall, this is the 1st time this season I have seen Leipzig's D struggle. The twin towers handled Sargent easily last week but had a hard time with Schalke's 19 year old and Harit. Speed kills and Schalke had it in conjunction with constant challenges. Pretty impressive win for the Blue. IMO, Adams would have really helped. He is better than the absent Laimer. I can't wait to see him back on the pitch.

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I too am looking forward to Adams return, though it may be some time before he is able to reach top gear again. He's a strong leader not just a fantastic athlete, he just believes in his own abilities. And he knows how to find the game. We need a player who launches himself into the maelstrom so wholeheartedly.

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need more than one player... In fact, we need more than one player at every position that are starting in top-flight leagues. Every legit FIFA nation has that... meanwhile, I record about 10 EPL/Bundisliga games a week and am lucky to see 2 or 3 USMNT players.... period. That is unacceptable and the reason why we are ranked so low as a nation.

Regarding injuries... I am kind of shocked at how many of our players have been hurt... but what is more troubling is the length of time they are missing once injured. Adams, Brooks, and Yedlin have been out forever. Morales steps in and gets hurt in his 1st game back with the MNT. He still has yet to return to his club. Then Weah goes down with what they are calling a very bad hamstring tear. Those are tricky... I expect him to be out for the rest of the year. I don't get it. So much bad luck w/ respect to injuries.

Now that Adams is back to full training, I expect him to win his job back quickly once he gets on the field. He is out best player overall. I like Weston too because he is tough. When he rolled that ankle I thought he would be out for ages... yet he returned pretty quickly. We can't count on him to score... and that goes for Adams as well... but I think we can count on them to hustle, defend and facilitate thru the midfield.