9/26 Charleston at Rochester (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, September, 21

Battery to face Rochester Rhinos in first round of Playoffs

Deciding game at Blackbaud to be televised nationally on FOX Soccer Channel

Charleston, SC. The Charleston Battery will square off against the Rochester Rhinos in the first round of the USL First Division playoffs in a home and home series next weekend. The first game will be played at PaeTek Park, Rochester, NY on Friday, September 26; kick off is set for 7:35 PM. The second and deciding match will take place at Blackbaud Stadium on Sunday evening, September 28; kick off TBD. Sunday evening’s game will be broadcast nationally on FOX Soccer Channel with kick off dependant on the TV time-slot.

The top seven teams advanced to the playoff tournament, with the Commissioner’s Cup winner, the Puerto Rico Islanders (regular season champion) receiving a bye into the Semifinals. The First Round involves the #2 - #7 seeds competing in two-leg aggregate score series with the three winners advancing to Semifinals with #1 seed pitted against the lowest remaining seed. The semifinal winners advance to the USL-1 Championship set for October 11.

The Battery (11-12-7, 40 pts.) finished the regular season in fifth position, Rochester (11-10-9, 41 pts.) finished in fourth. During the regular season Charleston defeated the Rhinos three times winning 2-0 at Blackbaud Stadium on May 2, 1-0 at PaeTek Park on May 17, and 3-1 in the third game of the series at Blackbaud Stadium on June 28.

The Battery did not make the playoffs in 2007; in 2006 Rochester knocked Charleston out in the semifinal round; the Battery last won the USL First Division Championship in 2003.

Tickets for the game at Blackbaud Stadium next Sunday are priced at $8 - $15 with discounts available for groups of ten or more and current Season Ticket holders; to purchase tickets please call (843) 971-GOAL (4625) or purchase online at www.charlestonbattery.com. Three Lions Club members receive complimentary tickets to all home post-season fixtures.

THE PLAYOFF FIELD

Seed 1 - Puerto Rico Islanders clinched playoff berth August 29 and clinched the regular season champion September 19.

Seed 2 - Vancouver Whitecaps clinched playoff berth August 29.

Seed 3 - The Montreal Impact clinched a playoff berth September 10.

Seed 4 - The Rochester Rhinos clinched a playoff berth September 8.

Seed 5 - The Charleston Battery clinched a playoff berth September 11.

Seed 6 - The Seattle Sounders clinched a playoff berth September 13.

Seed 7 - The Minnesota Thunder clinched a playoff berth September 20.

* Regular Season Commissioner’s Cup winner receives bye to Semifinals

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TV once more. bring your friends as the Playoff matches are a tough sell. With less than one week to get the word out, make sure you pimp it to everyone you know!

Also we will be tailgating before the match once again. this time its burgers and hot dogs so stop by and grab a beer and burger before heading into the match. Once the match time is decided, we'll post the tailgate time here

Mikey

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant wait

5. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be watching Friday. Hup The Battery!

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match will be shown on FSC 7pm Sunday night Brook, I'm hoping it will be on USLlive.com but i havent seen confirmation yet.

As you say Up the Battery!!!!

7. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday night: Batts 1, Rots - 0
    Sunday night: Batts 1, Rots - 1 (nailbiter)

Onward and upward......

8. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Now would be the time to win on the road...or even draw...maybe the Bats were just playing us all and wanted to "sandbag" themselves and then do a run thru the playoffs?...lol

9. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've played a lot of games this year with preseason, Carolina Cup, regular season + 6 USOC matches. I did a rough count and I came up with around 46 matches so far. We have some younguns on the team but our main guns are experienced guys like Lazo, Armstrong, Dusty, JW, Nylen, Reda, etc. I do think there is a fatigue factor and the older guys realize you do have to conserve energy during the season and pick and choose which games you go balls to the wall. And I think these guys realize its time for B2TW....

10. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Totally understand that and not arguing with that but 4 wins on the road the last 2 seasons....now when does that become saving energy and just absoultly not performing on the road? With our poor performance on the road i think we were just lucky to be in the playoffs....

after our homestand we could've easily locked up a playoff spot in early Aug. (yea i did the math....lol...nothing else to do at work) and could've taken it easy during the long road trip. But then our road form showed up and practically got nothing out of it. I get you have to conserve energy, pick which games you go balls to the wall, but watching the games i just didnt see any effort except for maybe 3 games....you cant always play to tie on the road and thats what we do and the min we go down its like ok lets not make it bleed so bad...but thats just my opinion from what i see

11. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Has anyone found a link for the radio station in Rochester?

12. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 at the half...

14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the link... As if I saw it coming... The Batts give up the late goals. They are absolutely snake bitten on the road.

15. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the game is on USL Live for free.

16. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Well hopefully our home record will help us on Sunday...and we'll pull out a win

17. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery lose 2-0

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was shocked and disappointed at the size (or lack thereof) of the crowd at BlackBaud last night for the second leg. Even E10 looked deserted.
    Bummer guys.

Better luck next year.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was a small crowd. Playoffs are always a tough sell with less than a week to advertise to the casual fan. being a sunday night didnt help much either.

I think most everyone was nervous with anticipation in the stands tonight.

It was a pretty good season the boys played well last night and minus 5 min in rochester were the better team of both legs IMO.

How many times does the ball need to cross the face of goal before soemone taps it in. And Was it a PK? I havent seen the highlights but the concensus was that it should have been.

Hopefully we can retain the core of this team and start strong next season!

Mikey

20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As bad as it probably looked on TV, it was absolutely deserted about 15 minutes before KO. I was actually pleased as many people finally did show up.

Yeah, that last 5 minutes up in Roch. was the difference and I'm disappointed it came against a veteran back line. We certainly had our chances last nite and the opening goal by Ozzie set us up perfectly. Some will point to several questionable PK no-calls....I just can't go there, it drives me crazy. Probably leftover from my youth coaching days, had to learn to block that stuff out. We had the ball for several thousand touches against the Rots.....we should have scored.

Only one team will look back on 2008 and say they were successful...the one who finally wins the playoffs...and that's too bad. Bowing out of the playoffs too early certainly leaves a bad taste on one's mouth but we've had some very nice tastes this year. That's what I'm going to remember.

And I'd love to have more than 50% of this year's team back.....that would be more of a core than we normally have. However, some of these guys are getting on up there in age and I wonder if some of them are thinking of hanging it up.....

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So does Mike Anhaeuser keep his job and try it again next year or does the Battery ownership look at other directions with coach(s) and/or players?

22. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Its funny about the last part cuz we were wondering why Dusty was just walking about the pitch after the game, looking up, and just taking a look around as if he's not coming back...

but i hope we can convince more then 50% to come back...another scary thought to see almost a completly new team and have to learn their names for the next season to cheer them on...lol

23. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We (fans) underestimate the physical demands of a player training and pounding his body for 6-7 months. When Watson made the switch to coach a couple years ago, I remember we had a big game coming up and everyone was speculating if he would lace them up as a player and have another go at it. I asked him straight up if he was going to play and I'll never forget his answer. He said, "No, I want to still be able to walk when I'm older".

24. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

So im taking it that this was Dusty's last season? Asked a couple people and they weren't sure. Do we know anyone that will for sure be back next season...heh

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dusty has had some back problems, but he does live here year round, so who knows. They were expecting Mark to play that last year, but he opted not to. Even when he plays with us on Sundays, he's sore the next day. Of course, he hasn't mastered the art of not going full speed into tackles, like the older guys on the team.

Didn't we have a thread devoted to players signing and resigning?