9/25 Pulisic starts against the Grimsby Town Minnows

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by madvillain, Sep 25, 2019.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Pretty much. He definitely made the right runs just barkley had tunnel vision and they were mostly looking left.

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my baseline to compare was how Dortmund plays bang bang bang one touch and move ... Chelsea players clearly hang on to the ball much longer - heck Zouma was making 30 yard runs forward with the ball before he would send a pass forward .... but Lampard was not known for playing ManCity bang bang bang like either.

3. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Couldn’t agree more. Looks awkward with teammates. Same at BVB.

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Just watched first half, and I'd agree. Only thing is every time I expect the camera to pan to him (cross field balls to the right or down the line passes towards the corner) it's Pedro or Barcley that comes into view and receives the ball. Is he hiding? Are they encroaching on his space? Is he deferring? Is he instructed to stay more central? Not sure, but it seems like he just isn't in a comfortable position or a position where that fits him best right now.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  5. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    And then Dempsey proceeded to look like a shadow of his EPL self for half a season or more....

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    What a ridiculous "analysis." They were running in the same space. The ball came to him. It was maybe row 5.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    #207 Sam Hamwich, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Clint has never been what you call loquacious, at least not in public.

I recently read his autobiography on his time in England:

Fulham tried some stuff.
    Some Goals. Got krunk. Fish and chips
    Tottenham sucked.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Why would he play Zumba when he might be the single worst defender in the prems this year? Why would they fire the coach that reached champions league and won the euro cup?

Best not to reach for logic when making this cocktail.

9. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    I agree with you. People love feeding into the overly pessimistic view of Pulisic. It was completely reasonable for Pulisic to take the shot on goal during this play as he had the momentum facing goal. The finish should have been better but the shot was not that far off. Pulisic was tentative all game and it was actually nice to see him be assertive and maybe a little bit selfish.

Futhermore, Bats was selfish in the attack (sometimes the striker should be) several times that prevented easy chances for Pulisic. Bats first goal could have easily been Pulisic's goal. Pulisic also assissted Bats second goal, so no big deal if Pulisic takes a chance from Bats on this one.

orcrist and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Also, the attitude is different up front when your strikers are in a feeding frenzy vs a weak opponent. 'You got yours, now let me get mine.' [I'm only half-kidding.]

My moment of concern came pretty early. A teammate took a shot and CP was near the goal box when the ball zipped in; the GK spilled the ball, right in front of the goal, and it seemed as if CP was well-positioned to poke in the rebound; but a defender out-quicked him to the ball and cleared it safely.

Of course I immediately thought to myself that a hungrier, in-form Pulisic scores right there. Instead, the frustration mounted.

Would love to see that particular replay, if anyone has it.