9/25 Pulisic starts against the Grimsby Town Minnows

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by madvillain, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Method

Method Member

United States
    Aug 20, 2018
    I think he just needs to continue to get play time. 19 days between games is way too many for him.. You can see that he's very close. A 7 is too high for his performance in this game IMO, but the assist really helps.

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it will be clear to most that Tyler Adams is the best player the USMNT has by midseason. CP has way more pressure on him and is adjusting to a new league. Furthermore, it is hard to improve when you are not playing all that much. The more and more I read these posts the worse I feel for CP. Dude is under the world's largest microscope and is seemingly taking the brunt of all the frustration dating back to the T&T train-wreck.

madvillain repped this.
  3. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    He needs to call up Tuchel and have a little talk. Gain a little confidence in himself again.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Therein lies the rub. He came to a historically dominant EPL club who has a lot of options at his position. Double edge sword... he needs to playing time to get better... but he needs to score in order to get playing time. He really needed to put at least one away today.... the pressure is just going to get worse and worse until he is either primarily benched or actually has a run of good form.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chelsea fans are talking Puli up because they don't want to feel like fools for following a club that paid £58m for him.

All the media out there has him as the worst Chelsea player today, even the usually-lenient-with-Yanks Sofascore.

https://www.football.london/chelsea...chelsea-player-ratings-james-gilmour-16982642

Christian Pulisic

Nice ball through to James for the second goal. Beat his man a couple of times in the first half, however somewhat quiet in the 45 minutes.

Not a great second half, though. Struggled to get into the game and took the ball off Batshuayi's foot and wasted the chance. Another good opportunity went by as well. Struggling for form. 4

---

By comparison, Pedro got 6, Barkley 7, CHO 8, Bats 8, Gilmour 9, James 9, and 17-year old sub Anjorin 6.

6. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    One of the few that didn't score. Not good. Not going to cut it. Won't see and important start until he really starts shining.

appwrangler repped this.
  7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Damn Pulisic cant do any right with yall unless he drops 2 goals every game.

8. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    When you take the ball off the foot of your team mate in the 6 yard box and miss the frame of the goal and send it into the 30th row you're going to have some questions asked about your game. Especially given how finishing has been a problem for him.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    When you're an attacking player, and your team score 7 goals and none come from you? You're having a bad day, a pretty bad day.

At this point, he will keep riding the bench.

Something is wrong with Pulisic, not with his feet, but with this head; his mental state. I think maybe Mark Pulisic should take a month long vacation to England and spend some quality times with this boy.

madvillain repped this.
  10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Who cares? Pulisic is far more important to the team.

Pulisic is far and away the most important player the USMNT has. The USMNT sucks with or without Pulisic but without him they have absolutely nothing going for them in the attack. He is the entire heartbeat of the USMNT's attack, however poor that is. Without him the attack is just a catastrophe.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't watch but I'd say his assist really sealed the deal for Chelsea today. :thumbsup:

striker and dark knight repped this.
  12. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    He got an assist and improved during the last 10 minutes but for a division 4 team, he should had done much better.

He missed 2 very good chance to score and failed the hit the target...and this is why some on here are a bit down.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Heck, the best thing for Pulisic right now is stay the far, very far, away from the USMNT.

This USMNT team is a train wreck right now. He needs to focus 110% on his Chelsea job.

striker and madvillain repped this.
  14. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    He and his entourage made their own bed. Feel bad that things aren't trending positively for the young man but choices were made.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Yep. I wouldn't even show up. Stay in London and train and go out on the town with his team mates. Get some chemistry on and off the pitch.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea aren't loaning him out...

Show me how often young 50M pound buys are loaned within the first, say, 18 months please?
    I could probably extend it to 2.5 years, but either way if there are no examples please let this idiotic talking point die.
    CP moved to Chelsea. This is what happens when you move to Chelsea and aren't a super productive player. You rotate.
    He knew that going in. Everyone did, or at least they should have.

I'm watching now, and kind of think he's doing just fine today, half hour in and he's been quite good... I assume his 2nd half is less good?
    Either way all the projecting and impatience in YA just makes even mildly objective analysis of his play sort of impossible IMO.

twoolley and striker repped this.
  17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously think Clint Dempsey needs to talk with him.

He has lost his mojo and he needs to find it.

I don’t think it is in Kensington or Trafalgar Square.

It is between his ears.

Dad can help but Clint might be better at helping him through this rough patch.

elchacal repped this.
  18. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 4 is ridiculous. He was involved in two goals. He beat his marks a few times and drew a yellow card. He wasn’t great but a 4?!?! That’s just trolling. He was decent to ok. A 4 seems to indicate poor to bad. Maybe in relation to what we all know he can do it was a 4-5, but a 4 overall is way too harsh.

19. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea fans defending him on twitter, saying he was making good runs that were missed and that he and CHO were equally good but CHO’s runs were rewarded.

Winoman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no doubt in my mind there is a team chemistry issue with him, whether due to his performance, his teammates, his coach or the fact that he is American. Something is clearly off.

USA-Zebuel and elchacal repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Therein lies the problem... Everyone and their mother's are making him out to be some sort of savior... and whenever he misses a pass, turns the ball over or fails to score it is like the sky is falling. The USMNT needs more than that. They need 5 or 6 attacking players starting in top tier Euro leagues for their teams at all times. But I will say that the US used to compete on the WC stage behind a strong D and keeper w/ some speed to counter. It seems to me like the D side of the ball is what has really let us down of late. Furthermore, now that GB really wants a possession out of the back approach that it is even more important that you have a world class holding/defensive midfielder to relieve pressure and get the ball forward. You could argue that Adams is more important... because if GB would actually play him at #5 then we wouldn't need to rely on an over-the-hill Bradley or a subpar Trapp.

22. Noriega7

Noriega7 Member

Newcastle United
    Dec 27, 2017
    Agree...4 is ridiculous...A 6 would be about right., given the opposition, I was expecting him to do better.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only at halftime, but that is not really what I'm seeing at all. Apart from a few plays, most of what Chelsea is doing well involves multiple players attempting to combine together. The dangerous crosses have all been from overlapping and a couple players working the ball into space.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    What if he talks about how much he enjoyed life at Seattle? :eek:

25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    ha, I was at Duece's first game in Seattle. Literally was in the top row at the CLINK. The place was rocking.