9/21: Sargent (start) - Bremen v. Leipzig

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ArsenalMetro, Sep 21, 2019.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 ArsenalMetro, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Sargent starts for an injury-ravaged Werder Bremen as they host RB Leipzig. No Adams in the squad for Leipzig as he deals with adductor and foot injuries.

Leipzig sit third in the Bundesliga with 10 points from the opening 4 matches, while Bremen are 10th, with 6 points from 4.

Kickoff is at 12:30 PM Eastern on FS2.

Winoman repped this.
  2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    With the obvious caveat I understand english is his second language, this color guy on FS 2 is laughably bad. Just doesn't stop talking, but it's all nonsensical. Actually hilarious.

hoys and kba4life1 repped this.
  3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Just started watching 5 minutes ago (32nd minute now). So far, Sargent isn't seeing the ball. Leipzig is bossing the game and keeping possession in Werder's half.

4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Leipzig up 2-0 now after a great free kick by Sabitzer. It's looking like this will be a fairly useless game for Sargent. Maybe if Leipzig go up by 3 or 4, they'll take their foot of the gas, Werder can get some offensive possession, and Sargent can get some touches.

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Sargent just picked up a loose ball in his own half...and was dispossessed immediately.

6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Almost got on the end of a good cross, but was about half a step behind.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been watching for the last 10 minutes or so. Sargent seems to be making good runs, but Bremen's midfield doesn't have the quality to play a good pass.

Sargent is turning the ball over way too frequently though.

superdave and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has held it up well a few times only to have poor options. Had a good run in on goal ~10 minutes in but lost control and fell down around 6 yards out. Some chippier moments between the teams but he's kept his distance from them. Leipzig clearly the stronger team.

9. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    He was a bit more involved in the last 10 minutes or so of the half, but honestly, I felt like the CB or DM pretty much ate his lunch every time he got on the ball.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At this point Pizarro is starting to look like a better alternative.

11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Don't think there's much you can say either way for Sargent. I watched the first half, and Werder had all 11 behind the ball the entire time, with Sargent and the other forward nearly going back to their own 18. Whenever he got the ball, it was in his own half and nobody really there to support.

I thought he looked about the best of any of the attackers/midfielders, which says just about nothing cuz they are not even trying to win, and RB is way better.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Klaassen, Eggestein and Goller have all been involved in the couple of chances created by Bremen. Josh has lost nearly every ball he tried to move forward.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sargent needs to learn how to use his body better. He gets knocked off the ball anytime a defender challenges him, and because he doesn't have the quickness to create much separation, he's facing a challenge nearly every time he receives the ball.

superdave, Gacm32 and largegarlic repped this.
  14. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to evaluate Sargent in a game where the other team is so clearly on a different level from his team. He's doing more defending than anything.
    I mean, Leipzig wins the ball back in their half, 3 Werder players try to win it back, and Leipzig effortlessly breaks 3 lines in a row and is off to the races.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard this refrain about our players hundreds of times over the years. It has never convinced me. Good players make an impact, even on poor teams.

Note this is just a general point, not an indictment of Sergeant.

largegarlic repped this.
  16. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent (nor anyone else for Bremen) not looking all that threatening. But good holdup play in the second half after a few sloppy giveaways in the first half.

Gacm32 and largegarlic repped this.
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Pizarro in for Eggestein, not Sargent, so that's a good sign, I guess.

18. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB red card this could get interesting

largegarlic repped this.
  19. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Agreed. You can make the case that this performance hasn't hurt Sargent, since Werder's undermanned, severely outplayed, and Sargent is still young and inexperienced and hasn't been any worse than more established teammates, which is all true. But the flip side is that he hasn't done anything to make a positive case for more starts either.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nice pass back by Sargent to start that chance. Smart pass, too: to the open guy.

PS: One of the Eggesteins was taken out due to a knock, it seems. Not sure if it was Johannes (the forward) or Max (the midfielder). I suspect it's the latter, who was just back from injury.

21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    It seems that Sargent has recognized he needs to play more one-touch passes. He's figured out that Leipzig presses super fast and super hard, and he will lose any physical battles with those CBs if he's caught on the ball.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sargent’s lay offs have been excellent, that’s about all he can do under the circumstances. RB with 10 still looks the more dangerous side.

Gacm32 and orcrist repped this.
  23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Bittencourt has killed at least 3 half-chances or better now, hasn't he?

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBL is faster at everything. Faster runners, faster passes, faster thinking.

largegarlic repped this.
  25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I will say that I'm happy for Adams to be coming back to this Leipzig team. They look really good. It's always foolish to think anyone other than Bayern will win the title, but I think Leipzig (along with Dortmund) can keep things interesting for quite a while.