9/20 Group C AUS-CAN [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing casual about it regardless of the teams involved. IMNSHO, that was a good call by the referee for the collision with the 'keeper (IIRC).

As far as calls pro/con, I dearly loved Dagny Mellgren as a Boston Breaker, but I still wouldn't have trusted myself around her with a sharp object. :eek:

2. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I agree. I think that if the goal was called back by the game officials it couldn't have been a good goal.

3. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    And China is still lamenting the fact that Scurry jumped the line on the PK in 99...

Handball by Norway in 95...

Hand of God goal...

Reffs miss all the time, sometimes bigger than others... It did not cost you the championship, Canada was never getting that far.

4. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as if things weren't bad enough, the fart-sniffers were at it again, turning down an opportunity to host the Olympic qualifiers. I smell foul play/conspiracy/something behind the scenes, because I don't think the people up top would have lost their minds long enough to pass up an opportunity like that.

"Who, me?" indeed...

p.s. Go the Matildas...and the WNT...

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    It has happened to us

On the women's side, the Mellgren armball that led to Norway winning the gold in Sydney 2000. I don't think she played it that way intentionally, but the ref would have called it had she seen it. Still, I focus on the fact it was a poor clearance by Fawcett and that Mullinix should have stopped the shot anyway.

On the men's side, the Frings handball on the line that cost the US a goal and a man advantage in the 2002 WC quarterfinal. While it's definitely still a talking point of the game, US fans also know we missed numerous other wide open chances that day.

In both cases, the non-calls clearly affected the US's chances of advancing more than the disallowed goal against Norway affected Canada's. It's really not worth focusing on.