8/28 Charleston vs. Richmond for all the marbles

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Charleston Battery will host the Richmond Kickers in the 2010 USL-2 Championship match at Blackbaud Stadium on Saturday, August 28 with kickoff set for 6 PM, LIVE on Fox Soccer Channel. The Battery advanced to the Championship game after defeating the Charlotte Eagles 3-0 last Saturday night and winning the USL-2 regular season title. The Kickers earned their sixth Championship appearance in the past nine seasons with a 2-0 win over the Pittsburgh Riverhounds in the USL Second Division Semifinals Saturday night at Richmond City Stadium.

Tickets for the Championship match are on sale now starting at just $10 with discounts for groups of ten or more; there is no charge for children four and under. Fans that place a deposit for 2011 Charleston Battery season tickets will receive complimentary tickets to the USL2 Championship game. To purchase tickets or for more information please call (843) 971-GOAL (4625) or visit www.charlestonbattery.com.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should be a great match.

if you want an $8 ticket in E10, send me a PM or post here how many you want by Monday night. we will make a group order on Tusday and we will hand them out at tailgate before the match but please have the exact amount for the tickets.

And we will be hosting a big tailgate staring around 3 or 3:30. Bring some beer to share and well update the menu soon.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully Ali will get the start as well.

I'll be pulling for you, mostly because you've got Ali, but also because the Richmond fans hated us. Maybe it's because we went down to Richmond for the semi-final and owned their stadium.

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he led the team in minutes played this year.

5. fútbolgrande

fútbolgrande Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were impressive, that's for sure. What are the chances that in the near future you guys get the pro team you deserve?

6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ail has been great this year. If he is healthy he will be playing!

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. MenaceFan

MenaceFan New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Ma Cameron's
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Looking forward for this one! The matches with the Kickers have been pretty chippy this season, so hopefully everyone keeps their cool or at least controls it!

Wonder what sort of crowd to expect?

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoke with the tickets sales people and they said things are going really well, they tied in a ticket for the final when put a deposit on season tickets for 2011. that has been great success.

I would expect close to a sell out,

The only thing about the bigger crowds is alot of "uninitiated" get put into E10 and that can hamper some of the "atmosphere" created there. Still it will be a good time and looking forward to it.

Mikey

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tailgate is set. we'll be starting near the East Stand Entrance around 3pm.
    We should have pleanty food (unless you show up with 20 kids or something!) Bring some beer to share and join us in prepping to cheer on the Battery to a victory!

12. MenaceFan

MenaceFan New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Ma Cameron's
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Any word on who will be doing the PbP and color for FSC? Will Andrew get the honours or are they bringing someone in?

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spoke with Andrew and he requested his name be withdrawn. He said he didnt want there to be an appearance of conflict-of-intrest and more importantly, he wanted to enjoy the match. Im not sure who is going to do it though

Sadly I dont get FSC with my cable company anymore so I am hoping someone records it and I can borrow the broadcast from them to watch it again...

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. fútbolgrande

fútbolgrande Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn you and your marbles!

17. lowcountry1

lowcountry1 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Battery win the championship, 2-1 over the Kickers, even with just ten men through a lot of the game.

Richmond scored in the last 30 minutes of the game, but couldn't get an equalizer. Go Battery!

18. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Congrats to the Battery! It was a fun game to watch, and you were well deserving of the victory.

19. Keystone FC

Keystone FC New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Congrats to the Battery and Mikey on a Championship season. Can't wait for the new season to start...man is this ever going to be an interesting off season.

20. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great match last night. good goals, Richmond peppering the Battery goal at the end, ten men winning. Crowd wasnt as big as I thought it might be but alot of the local youth teams were playing in an out of town tournament. The Crowd that was there was very into the match though and made it a great match.

here are some post match articles

Post and courier
    http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/aug/29/29battery/

Photo gallery in the local paper http://www.postandcourier.com/photos/gal...pionship/12481/

Potomac soccer wire
    http://www.potomacsoccerwire.com/news/460/12578

Richmond times dispatch
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2010/aug/29/kick291-ar-478064/

two videos at this link from Channel 5
    http://www.usldiscussions.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/265045/3

clip from channel 4
    http://www.abcnews4.com/global/category.asp?c=189729&clipId=5067334&autostart=true

six minute raw video from channel 2
    http://www2.counton2.com/sports/2010/aug/29/usl-2-championship-game-highlights-01117-vi-50442/

random Youtube find
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcMyvTVKk3Y"]YouTube- Charleston Battery beats Richmond Kickers 2-1 to win 2010 USL-2 Championship[/ame]

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations for the title!

FORZA GIALLONERI!!

22. MenaceFan

MenaceFan New Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Ma Cameron's
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great night, great game, great win!

Heineman was working his tail off up front, really doing a nice job of using is body and secure the space around him to distribute and keep the attack alive. I think his ability to pass and create is underrated.

Officiating was typically inconsistent.

Hertel #17 for Richmond got under my skin and Armstrong's.

Fuller played a great match and was always in the right place when he needed to be- the first goal, his goal and stopping an equalizer late in the match!

Battery showed good mental toughness and tactical awareness after going a man down. For such an offensive minded club and based on prior performances this was exciting to see, despite the "newbie" behind me in E08 who continually called it "boring". I thought they did well to counter when the did!

Overall a great night!

Oh, how do I find out if I won the jersey I was bidding on? The girl at the table said the auction closed at the end of the match, so at the 85th minute in the middle of the frenzy I went down to make sure I was still winning my auction and the bid sheets were gone...

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a fan of Tommy all season, he really does alot of the dirty work that makes it easier for guys like Neagle to score.

As to the newbie if he couldnt find excitment in that match last night, he probalby is better off not coming back! I stopped trying to convert people a couple years ago but I agree it is a bit of a downer if someone near you is complaining.

And on the Jersy, They typically contact you if you win but I imagine if you call down to the Front office they will be able to tell you. Which one were you going for?

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what's odd, though? If there's one guy who I'd actually dismiss the conflict of interest thing with, it'd be him. Andrew would have given it a great call and been as neutral as you could expect, I think. He's a true professional and I enjoy listening to him call a match. I know he's done FSC games before and I believe he may have done a Battery match or two, but, obviously, not the national final. Bowing out was classy, but probably unnecessary. Unless you're from Richmond. :)

Anyway, congrats to the Battery. Does winning the league mean you get promoted? :D

25. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Andrew is great as well. I havent seen a replay of the match, so I dont know who made the calls.

Didnt you hear about promotions Ken? We are bringing everyone down to the D3 ;)