8/23/04: US Vs Germany: olympic semifinal (11 AM ET on MSNBC) Pre/During/Post/etc.[R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    I think they want to blame Kylie Bivens for this goal too. If you play the game, eventually you will get scored on. Rampone played a great game but slipped which cost the US. Yea, it was definitely Kylie Bivens fault again.

2. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

Because Rampone did (much) more good things than bad's

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the men play in green on occassion. In fact, I think the green is their normal "dark" jersey. In fact, I can only remember seeing them play in white or green, never black (or yellow or red).

As for sloppy play, we did win the ball only to pass it right back to the Germans frustratingly often.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally Posted by Lloyd Heilbrunn
    I just watched my tape(and managed to avoid spoilers ),and without reading the thread: A very nice win, where we almost choked away domination by not killing the game with another goal. Very solid all the way round with almost no exceptions.

Speaking of choke, what's with NBC, I thought the broadcasts were commercial free??!! I haven't missed a goal in a commercial break since the 80s. How the Hell can you change this for the Semis?

And if my VCR was smart enough to know that there would be commercials for the first time after 4 games, and switch itself to Telemundo, then that could have happened. :cool:

I'll watch the final live, and can switch if needed.....

5. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Even Lori thought that it was ugly. I enjoyed the heart the US played with, but I thought that it was ugly also. However it was very entertaining, even in the beginning.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. Where are the Mitts haters now. Next time they poke their heads up I will again have to be forced to defend Heather by referring back to yesterday's goal.

7. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    You won't have to defend Mitts because she will never see the pitch.

8. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I'm only a little slow . . . does that mean you are going to defend Mitts based on the fact that other defenders make mistakes?

I would think Brandi's own goal in '99 would be a better example in that case. . .

Or do you mean that Rampone got back and goalside before she fell over - since that doesn't happen with Mitts who let's attackers get in behind her. I never thought of it, since she's running back towards her own goal in a straight line, she won't fall over :rolleyes:

If you defend Mitts people who watch soccer are forced to remind you that Mitts is a very good defender - just not an international level defender at the moment.

9. hoosierfan

hoosierfan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    indiana
    keep in mind that brandi came back to score a goal after the own goal in '99

10. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Keep Bivens out of this. She was scorn for no reason and now she isn't even at the Olympics and she caused the goal. You are a tough crowd.

11. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

Re: 8/23/04: US Vs Germany: olympic semifinal (11 AM ET on MSNBC) Pre/During/Post/etc

Why not, I think she is fast enough...she probably makes a mistake once in awhile but, who don't.

peace.

12. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Re: 8/23/04: US Vs Germany: olympic semifinal (11 AM ET on MSNBC) Pre/During/Post/etc

You have to understand that she could cost you the whole enchilada. It isn't her speed that I am concerned. It is her positioning and her lack of marking abilities. She has been exposed and you don't want to jeopardize everything by playing Mitts. She should not see any action. Sit back and collect your
    Gold.

13. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Was Repone a very good defender at International level when she first made the team.The point i am trying to make is lets be fair to all the players you would see total diffrent post if it was Mitts that gave up the goal.

14. TheWholeTruth

TheWholeTruth New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    And why is that?

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You know why.

16. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    to all the Mitts haters out there I got news for you:

She will see plenty of playing time action once momma Joy hangs her boots. :)

17. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. You make no sense whatsoever.

Mittsie is a wing back. Joy is a central defender.

Stop working yourselves into such a lather. Whatever happens will happen. The cult of personality that pervades the alleged supporters of the USWNT is mindboggling. I will cheer loud and long regardless of who wears the uniform.

Mods should have closed this thread long ago or split off the last 4 or 5 pages into a new thread.

18. yophilly

yophilly New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Mitts has played center D this year almost as much as outside D

19. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I tried to start a new one but it seems to have disappeared.

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Even though your a mod, careful of slamming people before you know all the facts. As yophilly mentioned, Mitts has played center back almost as much as wide back this year. Not that I like her in that position, but Ape did try her out there when Joy was recovering.

Once Fawcett hangs it up, Kate Markgraf will likely move back into the middle....if April or the new coach has a brain, that is. I think she is ready to take over Joy's leadership responsibilities in the backline. After all, she's a seasoned vet now and has the best defensive instincts as anyone on the team not named Joy.

Mitts will likely stay in the mix as a wing back, but if the coach chooses to put her in the middle, they could be in for trouble.

21. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack

Nothing to do with being a mod. I'm not in this forum (else I would have culled this thread long ago).

The women on this team have probably played every position on the pitch at one time or another. Just because Mia played 'keeper back in '96, it doesn't make me want to see her there in the future with the USWNT. :)

22. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I taped the game and finally started watching it last night. couple of comments:

- the ref let ALOT go without calls in the first half, she seemed to only call really hard fouls.

- I sure hope Chastain has not been playing due to wanting to save her legs for the medal round. She had a huge impact out there, she may be getting older, but she still is a VERY smart player. She made several huge defensive plays in the first half. Early on came across the field for a nice slide tackle, in the box that not only was very clean, but was smart enough to bounce the ball off the attacker for a goal kick rather than corner kick. Later in the first half on a nice push by Germany, she "bumped" the German star while changing direction to step up to the ball carrier, this disrupted both the star making a cut and the carrier about to put the ball through.

- hamm's non call for a PK on the keeper. Not sure it was so clear cut as to give a call for it given the type of game the ref had already set. Ya she was fouled, but not drastically, she was taken out by a slide, only the second leg coming through and raising up, which I didn't really see until the replay. So ya, it was a foul, but given the other non-calls, I doubt she could have sold this call.

Watching the rest of the game tonight!

23. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    I am finally vindicated after predicting that O'Reilly would bail us out in the Olympics. I'll pat myself on the back....

24. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

25. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA