8/17 US v T&T US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCsoccaplaya16

MCsoccaplaya16 New Member

May 31, 2005
    Alrington, MA
    this was a great game to be at. does anyone know why they threw a guy with a crazy USA hat on out about 60 minutes in. He was sitting in the Sam's army section

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spoke to some guys who work at the stadium, they said they sold 11,000 tickets in the last week. Pretty impressive.

Very pro US crowd, should see Hartford get another match.

3. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    What a great day of weather, futbol and meeting so many great people. It is truly a honor to attend matches with you all!

No voice. much love, Bigdog
    Fan of the beautiful game, eat more snitzel : )

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Somebody threw a sandbag or something with some good weight at the TnT keeper....missed him by that much....I noticed the security guys on their walkie talkies trying to locate the culprit...maybe this was that guy???

I know our guys get much worse stuff tossed at them in these third world countries but I just don't think that is called for here....We are not and should not act like the classless barbarians we encounter in these foreign countries.....

JMO

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I don't know who threw the object at/towards the T&T keeper, but it came from one of the first few rows down to the right of me.

The guy with the crazy hat is apparently a member of Barra Brava from what I recall, but don't know why security was going after him. All I know is that he ducked down my aisle (I was standing on the bench seating), tossed the hat, then disappeared, this as a yellow-shirt security staffer went looking for him.

That being said, if I ever see anyone throwing something like that again, and can confirm who did it, they'll get fingered: that sorta action can have repercussions for more people that just the parties responsible, and there's aboslutelty no reason or justification for doing so.

The Magpie

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The guy with the crazy hat is a friend of mine and is also a bigsoccer poster. Im sure he'll be along sometime to confirm this, but he called me after being thrown out to tell me that he had been thrown out for no reason, they had apparently accused him of throwing something at the T&T keeper. He did NOT throw anything, so it was someone else in the crowd and of course we all know how great stadium security is :rolleyes:

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Spidergoose got thrown out? That was his first ever US game, wasn't it?

That really sucks!

8. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If the person truly is a fan of the USMNT, such actions may cause us to lose a spot in the world cup. When Dida was hit with the flare just a couple of months ago (or when Anders Frisk was hit by a lighter), the team that threw it lost and had to play without fans for a few games. If some idiot feels they need to even risk having the same thing happen to our team (whether the object misses the intended target or not), you bet I'm going to make sure security takes them out (after they pull me and everyone around me off the person). Why take the risk just of jeopardizing our own team by doing something that uncivilized people think is cool or funny?

9. tazerowe

tazerowe New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    It was a balled up paper cup and it came from the REALLY drunk guy in the Philadelphia Eagles cap who thought he was Eminem. The same guy who kept yelling vaguely racist obcenities during the TnT national anthem. I was a few rows behind them. They didn't add much to the atmosphere. Anyhow, his more sober friends called him out on it a little, and he actually had run away several minutes before security came up. I think a couple of people did describe / point him out, but I don't know what happened.

10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy with the crazy hat was a fool. I was hoping he would get booted all game.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The guy with the "Philadelphia Eagles cap who thought he was Eminem" was me. I didn't throw anything the whole game, I didn't leave early, I was there to the end. I didn't yell anything during the TnT national anthem either so I don't know where you're getting that from. Perhaps there was someone else in an Eagles hat. I don't know. I didn't drink all day, mainly because I was DD.

I did however, join in a chant that I really shouldn't have. I didn't start it, I did join in it a few times. The people around me were doing it, a beer got thrown and a guy got pissed and accused me of starting it, which I didn't. I let the situation settle down for 10 mins or so. In about the 85th min, I approached the guy that had gotten angry and genuinely apologized to him for joining in it. I explained to him that I didn't start the chart but that I was embarrassed that I had joined it. I also told him that there was no place for it and that it was very unusual of me to have joined in it. He was very cool about it, accepted my apology and shook hands.

I would like to apologize to other SA on here that I may have pissed off. I am not proud of joining in the song. I am the type of person who is more likely to throw a beer to stop it rather than join. I don't know what came over me. I got swept up in the anger of a badly officiated game and didn't think. So again I'd like to apologize to anyone on here who might have been at the game and witnessed a truly embarrassing act by myself and others around me.

-Eddie

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many people on these boards are willing to come on and admit that they did something wrong. Good job for doing so.

13. tazerowe

tazerowe New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Based on these facts, I would say you are definately not this guy. Sorry to disparage Eagles fans everywhere.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    All I saw was a crumpled up plastic cup thrown at Kelvin Jack. A bunch of us were actually surprised both at the throwing and that whoever threw it could get such a flimsy object so close to the keeper.

I was far more surprised that Chiquidracula (the ref) didn't get a beer shower walking up the tunnel at halftime.

The only cop/security incursion I saw was at the end of the match when they went down the aisle right next to the tunnel and went after somebody--but I figured that must've been in response to something done right then, as the players walked off.

I also saw/overheard something so embarrassing and so personally humiliating go down between one guy and his mother right after the game that I cannot possibly mention the specifics.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Natty,

I know your friend was in the vicinity of where the thrown cup apparently came, but again, I didn't see who threw the object. Whomever that person was should have been immediately identified and tossed; there is no place for that.

That being said, I'd like to hear your friend's side of the story, especially if he "had been thrown out for no reason." All I know is that one minute I'm drumming away, and the next I see him running full speed down my row (from the right hand side of Section 109 to the left), tossing his hat away, then heading towards the top of the section up the aisle, with a yellow-shirt security staffer lagging somewhat behind.

FWIW, I didn't notice much more than this in terms of security issues on the night, and things seemed to go incident-free for the most part.

The Magpie

16. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Suck my dick, pal.

Yeah the cop came up to me and told me that it was my last warning and that if I threw anything again I was out of there. Seeing as how I never threw anything in the first place, I didn't know wtf he was talking about so I explained to him that it wasn't me who threw something at the keeper. I asked him what he saw that made him think it was me who did it, and he didn't have an answer. I again proclaimed my innocence and he said that's it, I was out of there. I tried reasoning with him more and he just got pissed off. When the yellow shirts came, yeah I took off the hat and hoped they'd lose me in the crowd by some chance. (I know it was stupid, but I was drunk, what're ya gonna do. :rolleyes: )

That was my first USNT game and it was an absolutely awful experience. I can say with complete certainty that I'm never going to another US game again unless it's in DC. I came hundreds of miles to see my beloved national team play for the first time ever. I'd been excited about it for the last month since my parents told me they were going to take me to Hartford for the game as a 21st birthday present (Monday). I never would've done anything to get myself thrown out of there, that's just stupid.

In conclusion, RevsFan143, I don't know what I did to make you hope I'd get booted all evening or make you think I'm a fool but, blow me.

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Okay, this is going nowhere good.

Class move with the way you talk spidergoose :rolleyes:

We're done.