8/17 US v T&T US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey guys im a first time poster in this section so i need some help.

im a ct native, and i live 15 minutes from this field. i will be at the game no doubt.

i was wondering if anyone has info about things like where the usa would be practicing and things like that...i would love the oppurtunity to see the guys play...or just see them in general. i would love to do some field work for BS.com.

thanks for any info shared guys its appreciated!!

forza inter

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Are we still wearing red, even though that's what T&T will be in?

White? Blue?

Will there even be 20K at this one?

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Some people will wear red, others white or blue. 20-25k is my guess but I have absolutely no idea.

4. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Disturbing to think that the east coast fans feel there will only be 25,000 at a match this late into qualifying. Ok, so it's only T&T, but a critical match none-the-less and the stadium's capacity is only 40,000. It would be a success if the thing sold out and you held T&T supporters to 30% of the crowd (proximity to NYC means there could be a sizable T&T contingent of fans there), or 12,000 T&T supporters - max. That actually seems like too many T&T supporters, but doable and still assure us some kind of home field advantage. It's time US Soccer considers resting all east coast cities from Qualifiers - just for awhile....

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I could be low-balling it a bit, but it's a midweek game, an unattractive opponent, and the game hasn't really been heavily marketed--plus a lot of people are looking past it to the Mexico game just 2 weeks later (including a lot of out-of-town fans who would otherwise be there but are saving their money for Columbus).

Fixed. And I'm assuming you're not including Columbus as an East Coast city (it's not, but it's close enough that a lot of people would consider it one).

Foxboro and RFK have always done very well for weekend games, they just don't do well midweek...Hartford, I'm sure, is the same.

6. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    No, Columbus is a midwestern town if anything. It just seems that the sheer amount of people on the east coast should bring us a few more supporters, but the consensus seems to think maybe 30k, and obviously there will be a T&T presence in the crowd, so what are we doing scheduling in a stadium like this if it can't even sell out with T&T supporters?

Columbus, Portland (OR) and Salt Lake City are looking more like places of the future. Schedule a match against a non Spanish speaking opponent at the Home Depot Center in LA and let's see what happens.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm wearing red, but wear whatever you want; it's a free country for the moment.

As was said just below: "... it's a midweek game, an unattractive opponent, and the game hasn't really been heavily marketed--plus a lot of people are looking past it to the Mexico game just 2 weeks later (including a lot of out-of-town fans who would otherwise be there but are saving their money for Columbus)..."

FWIW, T&T didn't bring that many supporters to their qualifier in Foxboro several years ago, probably no more than 5,000, if even that. I'll predict something about 17,000.

The Magpie

8. Waquoit

Waquoit Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a press conference at the stadium today attended by Coach Arena. Mostly boilerplate, but I did hear two bits of interest:

-The team will be staying at the Crown Plaza hotel downtown

-Only 15,000 tix sold so far

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.

Do college football fans change their color when they play another similiar team (michigan v. penn state, ohio state v. wisconsin)???

10. Beadling Boy

Beadling Boy Member

Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks as though I've managed to arrange a last minute business trip to New England next week. Does anyone know whether anybody will be selling tix to Sam's Army section at the SA tailgate next week?

Otherwise, I'll purchase a regular ticket at the gate on the day of the game.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  12. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15,000. That's sad. Maybe the casual soccer fan is waiting to go to the qualifier in Boston? How far apart are the two cities? But that's a discussion for another thread.

13. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    Only 15,000 sold so far... (heavy sigh)... I'm afraid this could be the first and last visit to CT for the USMNT for quite a while.

Too bad, I thought it was a perfect venue... 38,000 capacity for soccer, "regulation" size field, easy drive from both Boston and NYC... guess I was wrong.

14. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
    Both Boston and NYC are about 2 hours away.

I'm sure putting the Panama qualie in Foxboro did not help.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I agree with this sentiment, but not how you got there.

This game was never going to be a big draw - anywhere.

16. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weeknight games like this (yes I know it was a FIFA date) against "inferior" opponents turn off casual fans. I'm getting out of work early & leaving NYC with two pals at 4pm to head to Hartford, but many other friends told me they would have made the trip had the match been scheduled on a Saturday.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can almost guarantee that whatever the crowd is for next Wednesday's game will probably be just about (if not higher) than what we're going to have here at the Boro for Panama.

Another mid-week game, against an unattractive opponent, after the US has (hopefully) already qualified. I was asked by Revs management my opinion about them going after the Panama game and I said it was a bad idea. They chose not to listen. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Make that 15,042. I bought 42 tickets yesterday for a bus trip from Albany.

Why anyone from Columbus is crizicizing this game is beyond me. Big deal, you can sellout Mexico, on a Saturday no less. 15K is about what they put in the building for Grenada and Jamaica combined.

Andy is right this is a tough sell. Another factor keeping the counts down (at least from my perspective trying to sell a bus trip) is High School Soccer. In NYS, so I presume the rest of the northeast, this is the first week that school soccer is beginning. You know, tryouts, two-a-days. Between having to practice at night or late afternoon and again early Thursday morning is keeping the numbers down as the kids (and their coaches) are foregoing the trip if they are more than an hour away.

19. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, that wasn't criticism of the bloody venue. I expected it to be higher myself. The 'sad' part is a commentary on where the game rates on the priority list of people.

We only had 11k for JAM. I personally think it should have gone to DC or LA. Oh, and I'm driving to the match at Hartford.

I'd criticize USSF if they put the Panama match in Cleveland too.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not to mention this will be the 5th time we have played Panama in 14 months, and it will be Panama's 8th game in the U.S. since October 2004. All the makings of a box office flop. If this game were a movie, the studio would send it straight to DVD.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The fact is, the USMNT ticket buying public has become much more sophisticated - especially in the east coast MLS areas.

Meaningless mid-week school night game in November vs Jamaica? Who the ******** cares?

Meaningless mid-week school night game in October vs Panama? Who the ******** cares?

At this point, I consider anything over 10k for Panama to be a rousing success. And if it is, it will likely be because Panama is playing for that fourth spot and their fans show up - because you ain't gonna see much in the way of support for the USMNT at that game.

I really consider the Panama in Foxboro game to be a complete travesty. That game - played between the final two weeks of the MLS campaign - was tailor made for a non-MLS market. Send it to brand new 13k seat Pae-Tec Park in Rochester. Send it to wonderful 5k seat Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston or 7,200 seat SAS Stadium in Cary. 68,000 seat Gillette Stadium in Foxboro? WTF?

----
    As to the T&T game. I'm disappointed by the Ticket sales. But apparently even the expatriots from the Caribbean can't be arsed anymore. The monster crowds of Jamaicans and Trinidadians we saw 6 to 8 or more years ago are gone. Apparently it's set in that these games are usually losses and all too frequently massacres. It's one thing to show up to root on your homeland against the U.S. when the party is likely to end in a tie or even a win. It's a much harder sell when a tie is no more likely than a 7-0 ass-kicking loss. It's pretty hard to get energized for that.

The growing success of the U.S. - especially in CONCACAF (what was it, 31 games without a loss in the confederation before the game in Azteca?) has sapped away much of the fervor and demand for tickets from the various immigrant communities. We're in a transitional state with the ethnic crowds. In another 10 years, everyone likes a winner, they'll be showing up to root on the United States. The last massive presence I saw of Caribbean fans was back in 1997 at RFK Stadium (Jamaica). The 2000-2001 triple of Barbados, Trinidad, and Jamaica at Foxboro Stadium never saw more than a few thousand "away" fans.

And even the Panama support at RFK last October was relatively weak.

22. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent analysis AM.

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yes, but youre all forgetting that Adu will get his first cap against Panama... I predict a sellout ;)

24. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the interest of planning activities, I just got back to Hartford from a summer in Italy, and it looks like the pre-game festivities have grown on Pratt Street.

Apparently now there are live bands and a shuttle to and from the game (good for those of us who don't want to worry about driving or pay $12 to park). This is all from the ads Vaughn's has been running in a local newspaper under the headline "Hooligans Wanted!" Take what you will from that, but even if attendance at the game won't be too impressive, the pre-game party should be packed. It does say festivities start at 5pm though, but of course it will be open all afternoon for us.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please ... at 5, I'll be happily tailgating, hopefully with many of you guys with me!