8/14 -- US v Brazil pre/during/post/etc. [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Wambach won't play against Australia Tuesday

Other articles; US Soccer: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=95676 , USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/athens/soccer/2004-08-14-usa-brazil-women_x.htm

2. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Here's Beulah's report:

http://www.beulahsports.com/oly2004_8_14_04.htm

I have a couple of questions. The PK was set up by Foudy's long run up the midfield--on the left side. Why wasn't there a Brazil defender in front of her? Where did they go? What was she doing on the left?

Here's a quote from the USAToday article mentioned in an earlier post:

More questions: Does Foudy determine how much pressure they put on the opponents? I figured that would be the coach's job. What does she mean "switched to a different system"? Going to a 4-3-3? Or just more pressure?

C'mon, all you bright guys with ideas how this team should be run. Please answer my questions.

3. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Whoa there buddy. The refs were unwilling to punish Florida? Florida was called for 31 fouls in the match, to 4 for UNC. Anson was complaining about every little bit of contact and 9 times out of 10, they called it, while big bad UNC got away with quite a bit. If the refs favored anyone that day it was UNC. The 2 teams played different styles, Florida's wasn't pretty, but it was effective. Don't blame that loss on the refs. I don't have a problem with that tactic, if it's legal and takes the other team out of their gameplan. UNC had their chances, just like Brazil today, but they couldn't finish, mostly thanks to the play of Flaherty in goal. Mitts did a great job on Parlow that day too. Florida, like the US today, took advantage of their few opportunities and no one was gonna stop Fotopolous's shot that day. Sorry for getting off track, just had to defend my Gators.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to Rampone, I believe that she was caught retaliating for an earlier foul that wasn't called (stupid, yes - but it could have been avoided by either the CR or her asst calling the earlier foul on Marta, who was acting out of frustration (and because the CR had been allowing Brazil to get away with so many fouls.))

This ref was one of the worst that I've seen at this level - I even thought that Abby got jobbed a number of times, and I'm usually one of those who complain about how she's not tough enough. I thought that the US definitely got the worst of the 'non-foul' calls, but that Brazil got the worst of the 'non-card' fouls. That cleats up shot by Boxx...

That said, the team looked awfully slow - in physical speed, in physical reactions, and in the mental realization that the other team was indeed moving much faster than they were.

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Actually, Germany has been at this for longer than we have - they are hardly a latecomer to women's soccer.

6. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

I thought we are the pioneer of women soccer ( champion of the 1st WWC ).

7. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having never interviewed April Heinrichs, nor having watched any of the USWNT's training sessions, I won't even begin to pretend I can adequately analyise their game performanaces from watching on television. Reading the posts on BS makes me imagine what it might be like being a male NT supporter, or media personel, from Brazil---you know, the kind of fan/supporter/media person who is completely unsatisfied and calling for the coach's dismissal every time Brazil do not win 5-0 or more.
    (There actually seems to be very little media scrutiny/pressure from the media/fans regarding the US MNT and its coach, compared to the US WNT, but that's a whole 'nother issue)
    Anyway, it does make me think that dynasties and such seem to go in cycles. After Brazilian WC victories in 1958 and 1962, the team was a wretched shell of its former self in 1966, vicious Portuguese and Bulgarian fouls notwithstanding, and the whole country (fans & media) were howling! After a lot of the "old guard" was finally cast loose and Brazil emerged victorious in 1970, this was followed by more "substandard" performances, according to their fans/media, in 1974-1978-1982-1986-1990 simply because Brazil didn't win it all in those years. In Brazil, for the men at least, coming in third, or even second, is synonomous with failure, and there are always an innumarable amount of reasons to explain the countless deficiencies.
    As each dynasty, made up of individual players, grows older, the ability to dominate, even repeat as champions, gets more and more difficult. (With regards to women's teams, consider how China is currently playing in these Olympics, and that Sweden did not even qualify!) The rest of the world never completely stands still while some programs are dominating those around them.
    For some reason, I think of Willie Mays, as a member of the NY Mets, in the 1972 World Series vs. the Oakland A's. Reminded me of what I saw today from Julie Foudy and Kristine Lilly in particular, and even to a certain extent from Mia.

8. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that last post, I meant to refer to China and NORWAY (not Sweden!). Sorry.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dude...Ahh never mind, just a waste of time.

10. Chili

Chili New Member

Jan 11, 2000

As I recall, the US women were not the favorites to win in 1991. One of the western European countries (Germany, Sweden or Norway) was.

11. megsoc

megsoc Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Arizona
    I see that Kelly has a broken shoulder blade. Can anyone tell me how she got it? I didn't see the contact. :confused:

12. megsoc

megsoc Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Arizona
    And who is Dr. Boob?

13. Kimble

Kimble New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Just outside the US box, around the 72nd minute:
    Code:
    Kelly  Reddick                          ...... ball
         \   |                       ......
          \  |               .......          
           \ |       .......                 
            \|......
    Kelly was shielded/charged off the ball by Reddick* . Kelly landed right shoulder first, rolled over, and stayed down. The trainers came out and looked at her, but she stayed in for a few more minutes (including Wambach's goal). She collapsed while standing still before a US throw-in around 79:08. I'm glad to hear it's "just" a broken bone -- the way she was being treated, I feared some sort of seizure. :(

* I'm not 100% sure it was Reddick, but the incident occurred where you'd expect the left center back to be defending.

14. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    It looked like a win from where i was sitting......

15. j&bontherock

does anybody here agree with me that Brasil will be the team to beat in any major competition in the near future ? and also Nigeria if it is coached by the right person....while the US will be a mistery team, to find out which players will be replacing the fab 5 will be an interesting thing.

16. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate to agree with you. If Brazil becomes serious about fitness, they will be top dog. Soccer playing nations are overcoming cultural disadvantages and are rapidly gaining on the US. We need international coaches who understand the game the way it is meant to be played. Imagine that Russia wanted to become a power in American Football. Would they hire a coach from some school in Siberia? I think not.

We will also need to replace more than five players. It would be nice to bring in someone who has a more open mind.

17. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Yes it was, and I'm happy that we won. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. We avoided a tie or loss by the width of the posts.

18. j&bontherock

So, which players should go and which are meant to be with the future team ? ....I would say, Wambach, O'Reilly, Reddick, Boxx, Tarp, and Leone (the ast coach).

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It's not like Brazil came out of nowhere. They were the surprise team of the '96 Olympics, and played us VERY tough in the 99 semi's (even after Parlow scored in the first couple of minutes on a goalie error). They've been a bit down (in transition?) and sent a joke team in 2003 (Ronaldo's wife???) due to their federation being almost as stupid as ours.

Now that Simoes is the coach, they're back to being VERY tough. Marta is a nice player, their goalkeeping is better, etc.

Nigeria is in no danger of getting any coaching.

And the US team will eventually overcome our federation and return to its rightful place atop the soccer universe - we do have easily the deepest, most athletic talent pool in the world and we're not up against an overwhelming amount of resources like we are on the men's side (where every country in the world is max-ed out trying to develop talent for a national pro league). Of course, the soccer dads who run the federation certainly have a track record of making this much harder than it needs to be - especially for the women.

20. j&bontherock

and this will be the reunion of U-21 champion than won the tittle in Canada plus three outsiders..

21. j&bontherock

Would you be alittle concern without the existence of the WUSA ? well, I AM but, if these (national team)players willing to play for the amateur women league that we have right now (joining Kelly Smith and Pichon), it will be a little brighter, the league will becoming more competitive..that's what these talents need, great competition.

22. j&bontherock

and they will be playing the entire match like they did in the first half yesterday, i think they realize about that now.

23. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would seem to be the case, if Foudy's comments in a Washington Post story today are an indication: [the] "stinkiest half of soccer we've played in a long time." and "I can't remember playing that bad," Foudy said, "and yet, we walk in at halftime saying, 'Hey, we have another 45 minutes to pull our heads out of our [rear-ends] and do something about that."

The Post piece is an interesting one...particularly since it contains a lot of ranting by the Brazilian coach about the dirty play of the US. Funny, that. I'd have sworn that the dirty play was coming from players with yellow shirts.

24. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    There's some interesting reading in the Forum over at Beulah's site. Here's a quote from nmjohn (I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him):
    If you want to check out the Forum here's the link:

http://pub1.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=73727476

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Personally, I'd agree with the Rene Simoes. The US was by far the "dirtier" team. I just rewatched the game, and we were very fortunate that only Rampone got caught.