8/13/02: A Tale

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    thanks man... you rock

2. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dallas morning news sucks

can anyone give us the short form of what the dallas morning news article said regarding the burn taking hold?

headline looked positive... but day-um.... what did the article say?

3. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Dispatch sucks

day-um.... another paper we have to sign up from... argh..... why cant it just be open without having to signup for it!!!

4. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Times sucks

see other posts!!!

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    quit your whining and sign up... you will get junk mail regardless... they don't sell your email, most places get it via other means, not from buying it... although i am sure someone else will come in and whine about the big bad boogey man too

if it bothers you that much, set up one bogus email address for stuff like this

this is really getting annoying... you realize you have to use an email address to sign up for this site... right?

:rolleyes:

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The article on the Burn is a great read from a business perspective. Very positive!

Sachin

7. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    "The MetroStars expect midfielders Clint Mathis (knee) and Brad Davis (plantar fascia tear) back in the lineup for Saturday night's home match with the Dallas Burn. Both may see limited time against Chivas, as will Akwari."

Has anyone else noticed this? The thought of Clint and Diallo up top makes the Metrostarts a contender again.

8. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    It's not the e-mail addresses that bother me so much as them wanting your street address, phone number, blood type, favorite color, etc.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

so make stuff up

is it really that hard?

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I signed up for a bunch of newspapers about a month-6 weeks ago and my junk email has zoomed up exponentially. It's pretty sickening. I was stupid enough not to use any fakes but don't you have to use your basic email address for all this stuff?

Anyway, I love reading the stuff and so far it's been worth the price but still I got badly burned. For some reason you take it personally but it's still a jerk-around by the powers that be...

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i essentially use hotmail for everything... i have it set up for maximum security... works great, no problems... everything goes to junk unless i declare it as safe

i don't take it as an insult or anything, although i don't really understand why people don't sign up

i've always gotten junk mail... from well before i ever signed up for anything

i just figure it's like real mail, you get junk mail no matter what

besides, it's nice to give these writers additional readers

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Sign up for the DMN and quit complaining. I just did. They didn't want all that much personal info anyway, just name, DOB and ZIP code. And all I need is the delete key to erase junk mail.

The article was great though. It's just the kind of article we at BS long for in all media outlets. It seems to be directed at the layman/sports fan in general, but is not patronizing or insulting to the sport and its fans. Very positive article. Those of you in Dallas, are things really looking that good, or are there problems that the article glosses over?

EDIT: Just sent Richard Alm of the DMN an e-mail thanking him for his positive article and for his publication's coverage of MLS.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are indeed going very well, but there still a few concerns for me:

1. Lamar Hunt has still not officially taken over operations. That makes me feel a little vulnerable from the standpoint of potential for the team to move. But given what they say about the market for soccer in Dallas, this is still highly unlikely.

2. Attendance. While growing, it is still below the MLS average. Re-watching Saturday's game aginst the Fire (having been there in person) the crowd was sparser than I had thought. It is still disappointing to me that we don't draw more folks given the huge level of youth soccer.

3. The Cotton Bowl. We could use a new stadium. I'm fine with the CB, but I do think that for whatever reason it keeps certain people from coming to more games. There has been repeated talk of 2 or 3 cities involved in talks with MLS to build a stadium but we all know how long these things take. The team will be a lot harder tomove IF we can get our own house (and an owner).

Obviously, Andy Swift is doing a great job with limited resources. The team does not bounce around making noise about nothing, with a revolving door for players and coaches. He has a philosophy (a good one) and patience. And the team is benefitting from that on and off the field.

Swift is kind of the Anti-Sakewicz and the whole front office seems to have bought into it. I got a call two weeks out of the blue from a sales guy asking how things were going. He wasn't selling anything, he just wanted to know if I was satisfied with my season tickets for this year. Hell yes I am. We get FREE close parking.

Imagine if the Metros were run like this - what would their attendance be. I think I will go re-up season tix for next year right now.

14. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How muddy are building permits, approvals, etc. in the Metroplex? I mean, once they get a deal done with one of these places, will construction still be a year away because of environmental test, etc., or do those things happen before they make a deal.

Each state is so different, you never know. Just curious.

15. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas
    Regarding the Brun-Fire attendance...

It was rainy with scattered thunderstorms all day, plus the game was on TV in Dallas. Perfect combination for lousy attendance.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that getting permits, etc in Texas is much easier than in most parts of the country.

There're probably only a handful of liberal environmentalists in the entire DFW area, and while you're starting to hear a few grumblings about excessive growth in the suburbs, most people here are stll pro-development.