8/11 -- US v Greece pre/during/post/etc. [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
  2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm in the "I'm employed but since I work evenings (3:00 pm to 11:00 pm), I'll be able watch "every" United States Olympic Womans Soccer Team Game LIVE" catagory.

The only time I would be in trouble would be the FINAL (since its being televised on NBC at 1:30 pm or so in the afternoon) but I solved that by taking one of my vacations for the week of Aug 23-Aug 29. (Of course since I get at least one day off per week-most times two days-I could have just asked for that day off.)

LaxBandit
    GO USA!!!!

4. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    I am in the on vacation for the first match and work nights catagory. so i am greatful to have a night job right now;)

5. l'AJA

l'AJA New Member

May 19, 2002
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working from home has its advantages.

This is the best game from an American standpoint: The Americans vs. the (Greek-)Americans. Eight Yanks on the Greek squad, and should have been nine: Regina Holan's passport didn't come through in time, so the Greeks lost their best scorer.

6. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

7. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas

8. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

9. Dread_I

Dread_I New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an "appointment" tomorrow at 11:00 AM. I will have to leave work at 10:30 and should be back by about 1:30. :)

10. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    hmm- doesn't the game start at 11?

11. Caligirl

Caligirl New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    duh...sregis's appointment that he has to leave work for is the game!!!

12. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    recent AP piece:

By JOSEPH WHITE AP Sports Writer
    IRAKLION, Greece (Associated Press) - At the end of a workout under a searing sun at an old Greek stadium, captain Julie Foudy gathered the U.S. women's soccer team in a midfield huddle.

"Let's get this party started!" Foudy bellowed in a singsong voice.

The party that is the 2004 Olympic Games is indeed about to begin, with soccer kick-starting the festivities two days ahead of everything else.

The United States opens against Greece on Wednesday on the island of Crete, one of eight games two days before the opening ceremony for a sport that has to start early to squeeze everything in.

"We've been ready for a month," goalkeeper Briana Scurry said. "We're very excited to see what we've got."

Most everyone knows what the United States has _ a deep, talented team determined to reclaim its supremacy after disappointing finishes at the 2000 Olympics and the 2003 World Cup.

Greece, however, is another matter. The soccer-mad country that so euphorically celebrated its surprising men's European Championship title last month barely recognizes the women's game.

The Greek women qualified only because they are the host country, and they've enlisted eight American players with Greek ancestry to help their cause. Three of them _ Eleni Benson from Connecticut, Walker Loseno from Seattle and Tanya Kalivis from New Jersey _ sat together at the athletes' hotel this week and told some interesting tales.

"Greeks were surprised that women can actually play soccer," Kalivis said.

"Women's feet are not made for soccer," Loseno said a taxi driver told her during a passionate discussion about women's place in Greek society.

Benson said one taxi driver wanted to arm-wrestle her and feel her muscles.

One of their Greek-born teammates had to sneak out of her home to play soccer as a kid. When the team tried to hold a soccer clinic for girls recently, only eight girls showed up _ but there were a lot of boys.

They've tried to bring American sports values to a Greek culture where everything _ including practices _ seems to start 10 minutes late. The Greeks counter that the Americans need to play with more passion, with "American heads and Greek hearts," Loseno said.

And what about their chances Wednesday against the two-time World Cup champions?

"Even getting this far is an achievement," Benson said diplomatically.

Needless to say, the U.S. team is the overwhelming favorite in the opener, but that hasn't stopped coach April Heinrichs from compiling a laundry list of concerns.

"Heat, humidity, fatigue, possible injuries," Heinrichs said. "It's a lot of issues to be concerned about, but nothing is more important than advancing."

In the unusual Olympic format, the Americans play three first-round games in seven days, while teams in the other groups play just twice. If the U.S. team takes a big early lead, look for Heinrichs to rest some of her veterans in the second half.

The two teams have been sharing the same hotel this week, but the U.S. players have generally kept their distance from competitors about whom they know very little.

"We kind of pretend they're not even there," forward Abby Wambach said.

Heinrichs planned to give a 45-minute scouting report Tuesday night, but she said the emphasis will be on executing her own game plan. Her players say the biggest hurdle will be the opening minutes, especially if there's a loud Greek crowd.

"Both teams kind of want to feel each other out," forward Mia Hamm said. "We're both going to be full of so much adrenaline and emotion because we're in the Olympic Games, we're playing the home team. The stadium is going to be spirited, as it should be."

The Americans are guarding against overconfidence going into a game in which their opponents have nothing to lose. Only a comfortable win will meet expectations, putting the pressure squarely on the U.S. players on a day when they have the Olympic spotlight all to themselves.

"We always look at pressure as a privilege," Foudy said. "And it's a good opportunity to showcase the sport."

13. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Game info

The USA-Greece match will be preceded by an Opening Gala followed by the kickoff at 6 p.m. local / 11 a.m. ET live on MSNBC (Coverage starts at 10:30 AM ET) Wednesday 8/11/04. Play-by-play announcer JP Dellacamera will call the action while Lori Walker will provide color commentary. Why is Scurry not starting in goal?

14. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    Re: Game info

link?

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Re: Game info

She isn't? I just scanned through several links and saw nothing on this (I could perhaps have missed it).

It's not like Greece is gonna be getting off several dozen shots-on-goal though cuz Mitts is gonna shut 'em down. Mama Joy and Reddick can just sit on lawn chairs drinking Mai-Thais.

---------

Is it me or have I missed anything about MatchTracker having this game? I just saw the original link and saw nothing on this.
    :eek:

I better become temporarily unemployed quick!

16. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    So what do you think.... 3-0, 4-0,5-0?

17. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    6-0. Greece is really going to bunker hard for 90 minutes though as goal differential could become very important for them should they manage a draw against Australia.

18. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    5-0

not even the gods can save Greece this time ;)

19. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Little bit of a scare in greece today.

?HERAKLIO, 10 August - The USA Women's Football team have finished their pre-game duties today, with a 45 minute training session.? ?The training was closed to the media after 15 fifteen minutes but strangely, it was broadcast from all televisions in the venue, due to some test broadcasts. Everything went smooth and there were no injuries to report.? ?Coach April HEINRICHS (USA) had the usual pre-game meeting with the players and focused on some tactical analysis of their Greek opponents. ? ?HEINRICHS decided not to announce the starting line-up until tomorrow, the day of the match. ? ?Whilst entering the pitch, Mia HAMM (USA) fell off the stairs, shocking members of the USA team and media who were covering the first 15 minutes of training. HAMM needed no help afterwards and assured her teammates she was ok.

20. Tom T

Tom T New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Soccer Wasteland
    Can we get 5 or 6 vs. the bunker? Hasn't happened too many times.

21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I thought Kate was the team klutz. :D Hope she's okay.

PS, I'm so excited for this game (and entire tournament) to get underway, I probably won't sleep tonite. Best of luck to Team USA.

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Taping, and keeping head in sand, avoiding TV, radio,and the Net!!! :)

23. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    *raises hand* 8 am is freaking early, but I'll be in front of the tv.

[​IMG]

Hope she makes a good showing and doesn't get too starstruck facing off with her idol Lilly.