7/1 - U19 WWC Final - Canada vs USA [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BrandiC63, Sep 1, 2002.

1. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    USA WINS!!

After 109 minutes of soccer, Lindsay Tarplay pulls out a goal in the 2nd overtime.

Tarplay finds herself in the center of the box after a US cross from Kakadelas on the left flank is kept in play by an onrushing Heather O'Reilly. The ball flicks out to the center of the area where Tarplays first touch is rejected by a Canadian defender, allowing her a second touch that she sails to the left side of the goal and past McLeod.

Lineups:
    US - Ashlyn Harris, Rachel Beuhlar(Jessica Ballweg 16), Jill Oakes, Kendal Fletcher, Keeley Dowling, Lori Chalupny, Leslie Osbourne, Manya Makoski(Angie Woznuk 60, Megan Kakadelas 105), Heather O'Reilly, Lindsay Tarplay(capt), Kelly Wilson.

CAN - Erin McLeod, Sasha Andrews, Clare Rustad, Melanie Booth, Carmelina Moscato, Amy Vermeulen, Candace-Marie Chapman, Kara Lang(Robyn Gayle 74), Britany Timko, Christine Sinclair, Katie Thorlakson.

2. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gold Boot - Christine Sinclair with 10 goals
    Silver Boot - Wilson with 9 goals
    Bronze Boot - Tarplay with 5 goals

USA receives the Gold Medals, Canada the Silver.
    Germany wins over Brazil in PKs for the Bronze Medals.

3. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Congrats USA!

That was some win the U.S. managed to pull out after 109 minutes of hard-fought soccer! Sounds like the final sequence was a gut effort to get the ball in center to Tarpley, probably thanks in part to the fresh legs of Megan Kakadelas!

Wish I could have seen this one on TV, but Fox Sports World is darn near impossible to find here in Greensboro, NC. Do we THANK U.S. Soccer for helping to get this broadcast, or do we ask why it was not in the plans EARLIER to have the broadcasts made available on a more widespread basis? Who knows....

Had to watch this one on MatchTracker, but it was no less exciting.... I read that Germany defeated Brazil, 4-3 on penalty kicks, opposite of what MatchTracker reported. Read this at European Women's Soccer.

GO USA! Can't wait to see Tarpley suit up for the Heels this weekend!

4. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Germany won the bronze.

5. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Tarpley is a complete player, she reads the game great, she can score, she deffend well, she feed other forwards with beautiful passes and she is cute.

6. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just edited my post. US Soccer Matchtracker said Brazil won, which is why I wrote it. Sorry!

Had to put that one in there, huh??? ;)

7. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    i kinda like both her and the way she played

8. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    which players do you think April has in mind to take them to China next year? my guess are Tarpley, Wilson, O'Reilly and Jill Oaks.

9. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    I'd just like to say congrats to Team USA. It was a great game and both teams diserved to win. I am so happy for Canada though, they showed alot of heart and gave it there all, they gave the US a great game.

Way to go USA!

I LOVE YOU CANADA AND THANK YOU FOR AN AWSOME 2WEEKS!

10. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
  11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Congrats USA!

Think Dish--or Direct TV.

12. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the US team - they defeated a very good and very determined Canada squad that never ever quit. As one of the announcers said, it's too bad that anyone has to lose a game like this.

I'm glad that I had one of those 2:40 minute tapes in my VCR, and that the game didn't go to penalty kicks!

13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    None of them. There is not a one that are better than the current group of prospects particularly when you throw in the U23s.

While this group is good they all still have a ways to go before even getting on the radar for the senior squad.

The days are gone when the talented 15-17 year old has much of a chance unless she is the next Mia and everyone is sure of her ability.

However, given Ape's propensity for doing the absurd, there might be one or two taken along but the US, and no other country, can now the World Cup now with children playing much of a roll unless they are EXTREAMLY special players and I have not seen one, yet, that falls into that catagory.

14. buff415

buff415 New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Sorry!

Whoever replied to the previous post, I accidentally deleted it when I was trying to delete my own post.
    Feel free to re-reply.

15. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Congrats to both teams. 47K plus in Edmonton, and over 32K for the semifinal. Maybe WUSA should move New York to Canada?

16. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Great game!!

Those kids can play! It's real exciting to think some of em will be on the full squad sometime in the future.

Oakes, Tarply, O'Reilly. I never saw them play before and seeing thier names on the callup list to the Full squad in the past, i can see what April is so excited about.

Man these girls are tough, scrappy and fast!

17. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I was also pretty impressed with Chalupny (is that right?). She was doing a real good job in midfield, possessing the ball and setting plays up.

18. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am I the only person to notice how the Canadians booed and harassed the American girls every single time they played. It seems the locals always rooted for whoever played against the Americans. Justice was served and the Canadians lose in the final in front of their home crowd to a superior side. What goes around comes around! :)

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Excellent point, Mike.

Believe that WUSA may be looking to the Northwest: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver. But Edmonton is a great, great sports town and can have a WUSA team from April to August without snow.

The Canadian team did very well. Sinclair is a force, and so was the Canada back line. They probably should have won in stoppage time, but how can Thorlakson miss the cage like that?