6 cities you would like MLS to expand: 5 U.S. & 1 Canada.?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Hoosier388, Jul 23, 2016.

?

5 Cities you would like to see MLS expand to. 5 U.S. & 1 CANADA?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2017.
  1. Indianapolis, Indiana

32.6%
  2. Charlotte, North Carolina / Raleigh, North Carolina

48.3%
  3. San Diego, California

42.7%
  4. St. Louis, Missouri

70.8%
  5. Las Vegas, Nevada

20.2%
  6. San Antonio, Texas / Austin, Texas

48.3%
  7. Phoenix, Arizona

27.0%
  8. Cincinnati, Ohio

62.9%
  9. Detroit, Michigan

51.7%
  10. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

4.5%
  11. Nashville, Tennessee

23.6%
  12. Louisville, Kentucky

7.9%
  13. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

11.2%
  14. Buffalo, New York

5.6%
  15. Cleveland, Ohio

6.7%
  16. Quebec, Canada

9.0%
  17. Ottawa, Canada

28.1%
  18. Calgary, Canada

18.0%
  19. Winnepeg, Canada

2.2%
  20. Edmonton, Canada

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't make more sense (but not really) to have Minnesota move East?

Cinncy being East is a minor reason to get in over Sac. Sac is really the front runner.

UCFWayne repped this.
  2. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah it is slightly more east isn't it. Marginally, though it puts them closer to the Northeast

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can leave Canada out of it.

Garber was clear that there will be no expansion in Canada and the CSA will block any attempts for a club to join MLS

UCFWayne and Three and Three repped this.
  4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego
    Tampa Bay
    San Antonio
    Sacramento
    Cincinnati
    ST Louis (yes I know)

5. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or think they are still under water :rolleyes:

6. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And don't be surprised if the favor is returned in one form or another. It's about time, really.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually, we're counting on it. Best case scenario would be for MLS to be only American cities while CPL would be all Canadians.

8. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    Ottawa would be a good choice

9. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only 'choices' in Canada are Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa. Each are half the size of MLS's smallest markets at present, so they're not desirable on their own, and the league feels like it has Canada covered by the three teams it has now: one for Ontario, one for Quebec, and one for the western provinces. MLS wants expansion to fill in some of the American cities of significant size that remain--there are over a dozen urban areas of over 2M people without MLS teams. The Canadian teams in MLS don't want to split their national fan base four ways instead of three without significantly growing the pie overall. The CSA has had some friction with MLS and are currently building their own pro league; they're not interested in giving up one of the markets that could be a cornerstone for the CPL.

10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I personally agree, and I think that most knowledgeable Canadians would agree. Canada is finally starting up it's own league and does so having already "lost" it's three biggest markets. Let's not continue to cannibalize what they need to build their national team,... a true domestic league. Besides which, the markets that MLS included from Canada already were no-brainers, two of whom already had top-notch operations in place and the third was located in it's biggest and most influential market which has teams in 3 of the 4 biggest North American sports leagues.

11. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Also, where's Sacramento on this list? I only voted for five bc I reserve my sixth choice to be Sac City Reps. That said, my official list is as follows:

East
    Indy 11
    FC Cincy
    Charlotte or *Raleigh (Leaning towards Raleigh for the history they've put into the sport in this country. I'm not a nativist fan who hates Euro names, but I do wish Raleigh would go back to the Railhawks nickname which I think was good, had history and was not overly cheesy like alot of the NA style nicknames which have been dropped by MLS teams in the past. Both serve as rivals in the expanding Southeast.)

West
    Sac City Reps
    Phoenix (already have a stadium and are ready to expand. Huge regional hole covered thereby expanding MLS' footprint significantly and bridging rivalries can be formed in Utah, Colorado and Texas. Drogba beating Beckham into the league's ownership ranks is nice bc I'm a HUGE Drogba fan. Owner seems to be motivated to compete and make a big splash in this league much like Orlando's ownership.)
    San Antonio Spurs (what NBA franchise has ever scouted and built on the fly like they do. Me and a friend from work who doesn't follow soccer were talking about the Spurs and I pointed out that they operate like a soccer team; they scout and develop players with star potential rather than simply sit on/stockpile draft picks and hope for the best or try to buy the biggest free agent available.)

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Lost? Those 3 will have a CPL franchise at some point, which is pissing off TFC beyond belief. They are big enough for more than 1 club

13. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I have stated on the CPL thread that this (placing teams in those cities) was plausible and should be done by CPL, but they won't own those markets in the manner that most D1 leagues own their biggest markets. CPL may have teams there but I doubt that they will ever equal the MLS teams in terms of support or money. In that way, they have lost them. Perhaps that wording is too strong. Cardiff, for example, has several football teams in the Welsh League, but none of them approach the stature of Cardiff City who is merely in the Championship of England.

This is all okay, however. It doesn't mean that the CPL will be a failure. It doesn't have to beat the MLS Canadian teams to succeed, it simply has to succeed as a league in it's own right.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We'll see

15. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    yeah they will be Brentford FC, Charlton Athletic or Leynet Orient to TFC's Tottenham Hotspur

Bury F.C. or Oldham Athletic A.F.C. to Montreal Impact's Manchester City

Preston North End or Blackpool to Vancouver's Everton

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're overated those 3 quite a bit don't you think?

17. Lentil Soup with Beans

Portland Thorns/Timbers
    Azerbaijan
    Mar 28, 2017
    The Dinner Table
    not at all since they actually exist, play games and are the biggest baddest teams in each city.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was just making the point that those 3 city can easily have 2 clubs and Toronto, even 3. Hard not to be the "biggest, baddest" team when you're the only one in town...for now

19. TorontoFC_SouthendElite

Toronto FC
    Canada
    May 28, 2017
    southern Ontario
    in the US would like to see Detroit (close to TFC) St Louis(losing the NFL, would really kick start a mls team)
    SanDiego ( same reason as St Louis) Cincinnati and Tampa Bay

in Canada, the best option would be Ottawa....a good rival for TFC and Montreal/

20. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I would say that National TV coverage is waaay more important than you're making out. That's what makes the region that the team is located in so important. Even given Atl United's support, it was the fact that they were smack dab in the untapped South that made them a must. Expanding the TV market is probably the most important piece of business for MLS because the next TV contract has to be another win in order to keep growing the league. It's the biggest reason for MLS expansion aside from the expansion fees. Gameday revenue is nice, but for the league to truly improve in quality and value, the TV contract needs to at least double and possibly triple when it's up again. And that requires probably doubling their current ratings by that time.

UCFWayne repped this.
  21. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I can't see the next MLS TV contract being worth triple its current value, especially considering the amount of cord-cutting that's going on right now. But I could see a $200M annual payment, which would go a long way to covering player salaries.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orient - Tottenham I can let you have.
    Brentford - Chelsea
    Charlton - no-one really.
    Manchester United.

Everton? Bolton Wanderers have been the traditional dominant team from that area but you'll probably see more Manchester United and Liverpool shirts than anything else.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS wants a combination of prestigious names and big media markets, which is why they are going to give Miami, St Louis, Detroit, San Diego and Phoenix a lot more time.
    Tampa has a bigger media market than Miami and Cleveland a bigger market than San Diego but when you put a game on ESPN who are people more likely to tune into?
    The only way Cincinnati is going to get into MLS is if someone offers to build the Crew a stadium there.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CSA won't allow that. There's a ban on teams joining USSF leagues in Canada. After USL, Fury can either upgrade and join CPL or fall into irrelevancy. It's their choice

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do you think Edmonton has a chance then?