6 cities you would like MLS to expand: 5 U.S. & 1 Canada.?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Hoosier388, Jul 23, 2016.

?

5 Cities you would like to see MLS expand to. 5 U.S. & 1 CANADA?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2017.
  1. Indianapolis, Indiana

32.6%
  2. Charlotte, North Carolina / Raleigh, North Carolina

48.3%
  3. San Diego, California

42.7%
  4. St. Louis, Missouri

70.8%
  5. Las Vegas, Nevada

20.2%
  6. San Antonio, Texas / Austin, Texas

48.3%
  7. Phoenix, Arizona

27.0%
  8. Cincinnati, Ohio

62.9%
  9. Detroit, Michigan

51.7%
  10. Milwaukee, Wisconsin

4.5%
  11. Nashville, Tennessee

23.6%
  12. Louisville, Kentucky

7.9%
  13. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

11.2%
  14. Buffalo, New York

5.6%
  15. Cleveland, Ohio

6.7%
  16. Quebec, Canada

9.0%
  17. Ottawa, Canada

28.1%
  18. Calgary, Canada

18.0%
  19. Winnepeg, Canada

2.2%
  20. Edmonton, Canada

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hoosier388

Hoosier388 New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    6 cities you would like the MLS to expand to?
    5 U.S. & 1 Canadian city.

U.S.
    Indianapolis - Already have proposed stadium plans close to Indianapolis Airport.

Charlotte - Soccer already very popular at the Universities in North Carolina.

San Diego - Soccer is Big popular sport among Hispanics and S.D. has a large Hispanic community.

St. Louis - A lot of talk about expanding to STL the last 3 or 4 years. Just do it already.

Las Vegas - Pro sports seem to be taking a hard look at L.V. the last few years as the NHL is the 1st to expand there in 2018.
    -
    CANADA
    Calgary / Winnipeg - Would like to see the MLS not crowd one area of the country.

2. Chiefmanfresh210

Chiefmanfresh210 New Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    San Antonio - They have everything MLS desires in a market
    St. Louis - Great Soccer Market
    Sacramento - Deserving
    Cincinatti - Doing everything right so far

Canada - Calgary

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we need another Canadian team?

Eleven Bravo, AndyMead, Unak78 and 5 others repped this.
  4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Sacramento not on this poll? Larger metro area population than all but two of the markets in the poll, largest TV market in the US that doesn't already have at least two major pro sports franchises, consistently selling out USL games at MLS ticket prices. I hope it's only being left out because it's seen as inevitable.

Marko72 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no other Canadian cities that presently merit consideration. Canada is a sparsely populated country, with only three metropolitan areas of over 1.2M residents. Each has an MLS team. In fact, Vancouver is one of the small markets--along with Columbus, Kansas City, and Salt Lake--and it's twice the size of the next echelon of Canadian cities.

After Sacramento, (the clear frontrunner for #25,) San Antonio, Detroit, and Cincinnati are all pretty good candidates. After that is very speculative, without strong potential owners. I'd love to see an actual small market that MLS gets all for itself, but San Diego, Las Vegas, and a Carolina city may be more likely.

HailtotheKing and artml repped this.
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US markets most similar in population to Ottawa and Calgary, Canada's fourth and fifth most populous metropolitan areas: Richmond, VA; Harrisburg, PA; and Buffalo, NY.

US markets most similar in population to Edmonton: Albuquerque, NM and Tulsa, OK.

US markets most similar in population to Quebec City and Winnipeg: Modesto, CA; Des Moines, IA; Syracuse, NY; South Bend, IN; Boise, ID.

I think that explains pretty well why those Canadian cities are not likely to support any major professional sport other than hockey, and even hockey only because it's the overwhelmingly dominant team sport in Canada.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, San Diego seems like a city where MLS might fail to get a foothold. Club Tijuana is quite popular on the US side of the border, and has started at least two US-born players (occasionally as many as five) in almost every match since entering Liga MX.

8. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    As much as I would like to see Ottawa in MLS, no other Canadian teams are being considered at this point, especially with the up-coming Canadian Premier league probably kicking off by 2018. There's quite a drop-off in population after Vancouver. The three Canadian MLS teams are centred around 1/3 of our population as it is.

My choices were more for (in order of priority) geographical representation, stability, and population centres: Charlotte, St Louis, San Antonio, Phoenix, Detroit, Nashville/Las Vegas.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  9. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    We don't but another team within 6 hours of the Twin Cities sure would be nice. ;)

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So put a team in Minneapolis to go with the team in St. Paul... :)

11. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Ha that's my joke. LOL.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester, which sits right between Buffalo and Syracuse on the Erie Canal, might merit consideration. At this point in time, the only traditional soccer hotbeds that are not in MLS are St. Louis, Rochester, Tampa & the Research Triangle area in North Carolina. Although Rochester is no longer the high tech capital of the country, the greater metropolitan area of Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse probably has greater media exposure than, say, Austin, Las Vegas, Quebec or Ottawa. I don't think that Rochester is viable right now, but it might be a good location for expansion after the round of expansion to 28 or for a relocated MLS team. Not all that long ago, Kansas City was considering relocating to Rochester.

As for the current nominees, I think that Cincinnati and Indianapolis would have a sweet local rivalry with Columbus if they get in.

Just sayin'.

The Irish Rover and don gagliardi repped this.
  13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its not WHY- its- is there any other canadian city suitable for a MLS franchise? - i see none that can support it- even ottawa, our capital, is just not big enough to pull it off IMO

having 3 in MLS is good for a small population, expansive country- and 2 cities- TO and montreal- are serious contenders for MLS Cup as both have ambitious, progressive owners and have heavily invested in star players

14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason why MLS might want to do it is that Canadians - judging by fan support for the Impact, Whitecaps and TFC - love soccer and adding a team in Ottawa or Quebec would create instant rivalries with Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. Ultimately, soccer is a passionate game and great rivalries fuel the T.V./cablecast ratings needle.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Austin lumped in with SA?

dafuq

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that the Orginator of this poll assumes that there can only be one.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  18. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this order:
    1. Detroit
    2. St Louis
    3. Charlotte
    4. San Antonio

Followed closely by Nashville.

19. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Buffalo -- cool little city, and I feel a bit sorry for them, their decline, abandoned buildings, potentially losing Bills one day, so give them a soccer team. Great pro sports culture. Potential for a great team name. Buffalo Hearts? There's also potential for extreme weather conditions to keep things interesting, I like an occasional blizzard game on TV.

Rochester -- if I give a team to Buffalo, I will feel sorry for Rochester, because they were supposed to be the center of soccer in Western New York. So I'll give them a team too. They can be rivals.

San Francisco proper -- put a team in Candlestick area. Ocean winds, cold, rain, maybe some fog games. This would be the most Scottish experience in MLS.

Baltimore -- good city, good sports fans. Rivalry with DCU. Use some abandoned rowhouses for facade of the stadium. Blue collar feel and the Wire will make this the favorite team for neutral hipsters. It will be like St. Pauli of MLS.

OKC -- to annoy people from Tulsa.

Canada: Calgary -- a pretty rich, growing city. If some city in Canada can sustain a team, Calgary is probably the best bet, especially looking 20,30 years from now.

I'd say Quebec City because it's a cool little old city and I feel sorry for them losing their NHL team and not even having a Canadian football league team, but I already felt sorry for two cities here.

cwilke1 repped this.
  20. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I'd rather buy out Canadian franchises, pay each of them $100m, give'em their intellectual properties and tell'em to go ******** with the CPL than adding another Canadian team.

Three and Three repped this.
  21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's even less likely than adding another Canadian team, Which isn't particularly likely to start with.

22. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    My pie-in-the-sky final MLS configuration that limits clubs to within the top 40 TV markets (for TV Contract revenue), keeps most current rivalries together (to build traditions), and spreads out the game among the largest geographical area (for national footprint and game-day experience) would be the following:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Atlantic:
    DC United
    New York City FC
    New York Red Bulls
    Philadelphia Union

Central:
    Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    Minnesota United
    St Louis

Northeast:
    Detroit
    New England Revs
    Montreal Impact
    Toronto FC

Southeast:
    Atlanta United FC
    Charlotte
    Miami Beckhams

Orlando City SC

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    California:
    Los Angeles FC
    LA Galaxy
    San Diego
    San Jose Earthquakes

Cascadia:

Portland Timbers
    Sacramento Republic
    Seattle Sounders
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Mountain:
    Colorado Rapids
    Las Vegas
    Real Salt Lake
    Phoenix

Southwest:
    FC Dallas
    Houston Dynamo
    San Antonio
    Sporting Kansas City

Playoffs would as now, except giving only the Conference Champion with a bye and have the play-in round among the other 3 division winners and the next 3 teams with the highest point totals in the Conference. I'm hoping this setup would be fairly balanced in the long run. You don't want too many strong or weak divisions. Any cities feeling left out can go to NASL (sorry Cincinnati/Indianapolis). To be honest, I'd be fine if there was no Miami and it was replaced with another team. At some point MLS is just going to have to let that city go.

23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami is big. The only major North American pro leagues missing a city that size is the NHL not being in a couple southern cities and the NFL not having a Toronto team. It's much larger than the optional cities you've left out; I think the next biggest is Cleveland. Yes, the interminable delays are annoying, but it's not like the NFL ignored LA in expansion and relocation for two full decades before now, either.

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just switch Columbus with Detroit and recreate The Always Humorous Norris Division...

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    good points! but i dont think it will happen- 1.2 million people in the greater ottawa area- i just think there are just too many usa cities that could have a bigger impact and have a larger imprint for the growth of soccer in NA

UCFWayne repped this.