6/4 US v CR US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
  2. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Some Early info:

Supporters section will be in south endzone S1 which can hold about 1000 fans.
    http://real.saltlake.mlsnet.com/MLS/rsl/stadium/
    This is an old photo but it shows the south stands on the right

Here is a great Salt Lake City website:
    http://www.visitsaltlake.com/home.shtml

Group rates for US Supporters is being setup at the Hilton Downtown. Which has a sports pub called Trofi's. It is within walking distance of bars and restaurants galore. It is one block away from a trax station that will take you the 1.5 miles to Rice Eccles Stadia.

Thanks to Glenn and Chris for the info.
    More soon

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have an estimate for that group rate? I'm sitting here looking at airfares and hotel/air deals. I'm most likely traveling solo, so I'd very much like to be at the same hotel as the supporters, but these air/hotel combos are pretty enticing pricewise. The Hilton is not one of the hotel choices that come up.

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i'm curious about the group rate as well
    hoping to stay at least fri to mon and see some sights as well

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    is this?

Hilton Salt Lake City Center
    255 South West Temple

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ditto....I'm probably travelling solo from KC and would like to stay where all the other Sammers are. But the combo's on the travel sites are pretty cheap and don't include that Hilton.
    Any other news on when tickets are on sale?

7. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    They only have rooms for 6/4, Is that IK for everyone ?

They just told us 63-6/3 they have a convrntion in town!

8. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    So we'd only be able to get a room after the game?

9. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    This tempts me to get a room in Wendover.

Wendover, 124 miles west of Salt Lake City, part of which is just over the Nevada line.

It's an option for those who can hold off on drinking until later.

HOWEVER... given the number of rooms downtown, much less in the general area, I don't think the place will sell out. I don't think it even sold out for the Olympics.

10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    as others have noted, the packages for air and hotel look pretty good, which is kind of good given what you're saying about a convention as there were significant package discounts available for arrival on 6/3 and even 6/2. i'll probably go that route, but would be curious to know where the meeting spot for everyone is.

11. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    How many people would be able to do 2 nights
    for $225 total including tax, knowing you were
    getting an incredible value, in quality, logistics,
    and "coolness" ??

I'm already reserved at this property. I have
    conducted significant analysis of all equations
    related to a Deseret Week-End. If we could
    get 50 people to reserve, or 25 down payments,
    this rate could be had for all first-come-first-serve.

-bs

12. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which property are you talking about, the Hilton Downtown?

After Birmingham, I'm pumped to book a trip NOW, while I can a) find a room and, b) get a room and air and a car (or not) cheap!

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - I can't make it to the game in time if I'm I don't come on Friday. I think I'm looking for another place.

14. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Idea for this match. See if we can cobble together cash to run an ad somewhere imploring US fans going to the game to wear red.

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A newspaper in SLC? How about putting notices under doors in our hotel rooms?

16. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm figuring the crowd makeup will be more SLC locals than out of town supporters.

17. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting, although worth every effort, I agree with Ikari that many supporters may indeed be locals not taking hotel room space; and even then, to hit all hotels might be, well, a challenge.

Continuing this brainstorm: In the last qualifying round (Semifinal Round) here in Boston, where I live, when the US faced El Salvador at Gillette Stadium in good old Foxhole-a-chusetts, the Revolution front office -- I think it was them -- ran a radio ad advertising not only the US-El Salvador match, but they also promoted their mighty Revolution, who faced San Jose in the tailend of a double header. The ad concluded with a fun request that went something like this: "And remember to wear RED to show support for the US National Team."

Perhaps Real Salt Lake, if they plan to run a like ad promoting the US-Real Salt Lake double header, can be convinced to do the same.

I'm sure all it would take is someone on these boards who might know someone in the front office to put the bug in their ear.

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    How about writing "Wear Red" in chalk on city sidewalks?

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, well, in looking at the combined hotel/airfares on Travelocity, I saw a combine fare of something like $425 for a room at the Travelodge, which is a block from Temple Square. This is descibed as an economy hotel and I'd expect that many fans would like something like that. To me, it's more important to be in a good location with lots of fans than a super nice hotel.

Looking at the Trax Route map, I got a better idea of there these places are and how it will work getting to the hotel.

Here's the route map:

http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndMaps/routeSchedules/routeMapImage.aspx?abbreviation=702&signup=48

The hotels are usually described as being near Temple Square or Delta Center (that's the convention center??).

20. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This sparks an idea, a possible workable idea for anyone living locally willing to do some dirty work. Let me explain:

Go around town each day/night and write with red and white chalk "Wear RED!" in large block letters on any and every public walkway, sidewalk, intersection, and any other highly travelled public place. If it's done far enough in advance, coupled with a little bug put in to select news outlets, that the "Wear RED!" written on the streets is a code name for something newsworthy, then maybe, just maybe, the news outlets will bite and do our advertising for us. People, including the media, may start publicly guessing what and who is writing these messages and speculate in what they mean. Perhaps it'll then take on a life of its own...

We could even write "Wear RED!" on spare bed sheets and drape them over roadside signs.

Operation Wear RED!

21. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Here is what the Hilton people recommended:

Embassy Suites
    available which is located just 2 blocks from the Hilton. The contact
    there is Jason Greenleaf 801-359-7800 M-F 8 am-.

22. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Peery Hotel or Shilo, which is better?

Looking for something clean, safe, preferably with a restaurant and bar/pub on premise and in a decent location for walking to tourist attractions and restaurants and bars.

23. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

Don't the Ticos wear red too (or I confusing them with Panama)? In which case, there should be no problem.

I think the best bet would be to try and get a hold of a newspaper writer in Salt Lake City to do a human interest story on Sam's Army the day before the game. Perhaps he could interview a few of us and ask us about why we're willing to shell out big money to travel so far to see our boys play, etc. As part of the article, we could plead with the locals to show their support by wearing red.

I have emailed this idea to Lauren Gustus and Michael Lewis who have been covering Real Salt Lake for the Salt Lake City Tribune. Maybe they'll bite.

24. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good hotel deal:

Marriott on the U of U campus, within walking distance of light rail and the stadium.

$69 per night if you pre-pay immediately online (no cancellations possible)
    or
    $89 per night standard 24 hour cancellation policy

Book online at www.marriott.com

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shilo seems to be very close to the Hilton. They had some weekend deal for about 160.