6/28 vs. Sonoma County FC Sol

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Expect a livley match

Battery wants to do well and im sure El Sol will be up for the match.

Still I would expect Auggie to use some of the guys who haven't gotten a lot of time lately to start with.

I don't recognize any of there players but hell Juergen Klinsmann played for a PDL team in California a couple years ago under an assummed name so who knows.

dont' eexpect much crowd for this match either I'll say 1000 max But Ill be there. I know the east stands will be closed. and I know they are waiting to hear back from USSF to see if they can braodcast video of the match via the PPV. Hopefully they USSF will allow it I can think of why they wouldn't want some publicity for the USOC.

mikey

Mikey

3. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
  4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope the rain holds up, despite the week's forecasts. As typical when the Battery have a home match, I have duty:(

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it will be if the Battery get the okay from the US Soccer Fed.

As of Friday they were still waiting to hear back from USSF but im pretty sure the Battery will have the audio if they don't have the video PPV.

mikey

6. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He may use some B Teamers as subs but I bet he starts his best 11. The Battery always puts a lot of emphasis on the USOC. Hell, everyone besides MLS does.

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony would take the US Open Cup over the league championship.

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the USOC = $100K in the bank
    Winning the league = sweaty handshake from Marcos

I don't blame him.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha,ha, ha LMAO

Im looking forward to this match and think the weather will be a big factor. I'm sure there are some quality players on the Sol but the heat will really slow them down, especially since they are probably going to go balls to the wall.

I would have the Paramedics standing by with extra IVs.

mikey

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    broadcast has been approved by USSF.

tune into the link provided by ohhh-yeah above to watch the match.

kick off is at 7:30pm EST and broadcast starts at 7:00pm EST wed. June 28.

11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article in todays Charleston Post and courier newspaper about the match tonight.

Battery know the dangers of taking Cup foe lightly

Good to hear this from Auggie,

"I think we're going to have to increase our intensity by 10 to 20 percent just to match Sonoma's intensity. They're going to be fired up for this match. We need to bring our professionalism, our intensity and our technical skills to this match. If we do that, I think we'll have a good result."

mikey

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope y'all play better than you did against Atlanta, that hurt to watch.
    Good luck, I'll be busy chasing down audio for the United game instead so I can't watch (damn KC to hell for having such poor TV coverage).

13. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    redundant statement .....

14. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Any word yet on 3Lions dinner?? You know a man's gotta eat.....

15. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Hello guys,

I am looking forward to watching the webcast tonight from out here in Sol country (No. California). May both teams play well and fair and let it be an injury-free game. Most of all, for both teams, I hope the refereeing is consistent and high quality.

One note re Open Cup: Four substitutions are allowed-- that's a couple less than are allowed in NPSL league matches, so yes our boys will have to pace themselves especialy if the humidity is going to take its toll.

For perspective, the Sol have basically the same player makeup as a good PDL side. The NPSL was started as a lower cost alternative to the PDL and it has grown rapidly in northern California and the rest of the Western region.

Both teams have a match on Friday evening. For the Sol it's at home so that's good (and the NPSL has no roster size limit per se, so guys that didn't make the trip to SC will surely be available on Friday). How do you think the quick turnaround will affect the Battery's use of its roster tonight?

If the Sol have prepared themselves well for the humidity and their midfielders can run the whole game including getting back on D, I think they will give the Battery a tough game. Whatever the outcome, I hope the Sol play some entertaining and competitive soccer for your enjoyment tonight-- they are certainly more than capable of it. Go Sol!

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks cristo

Its been raining here for the last hour or two. if the sun comes out before match time the humidity could really shoot up.

For the Battery (and most D1 teams) back-to-back matches aren't uncommon so to have 48 hours before a match will be something the players will like. The USL plays with 5 allowable subs so that wont be too different for the boys.

Good luck and I hope your guys enjoy our stadium, get a chance to check out the pub and enjoy there stay here in Charleston.

Mikey

17. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
    i think back here we are rooting for the battery...

this is so our boys do not have to play against the sol here on the 12th, fly to charleston on the 13th, then play charleston the next day, & atlanta the following day...

we would rather see the team play charleston on the 12th in charleston, gets some rest, play charleston on the 14th for the league match, and then the league match against atlanta on the 15th...

and take 6 points on the away trip...

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery played basically the second string tonight, got the 1-0 win and seemed happy to possess the ball where they could and let Sol run at them most the night. Could have turned nasty at the end when the Sol had a good chance in closing minutes to tie it up.

Weather was faboulous at match time. a big storm moved through about and hour and half before the match, cooling things down nicely and there was vurtually no humidity

Sol looked like a good team. they played well and clean. After the match they all came up to the pub and seemed to enjoy it in there.

Good luck to the Sol in the rest of there season.

It wasn't pretty but a win is a win and I would guess we still have some gas for ATL and Minn this weekend. and we get to take on Portland in acouple weeks.

post match report from Battery HQBattery defeat Sonma County in the USOC

19. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Derek Shaffer had some good saves. He has three years of NCAA eligibility left (already used his redshirt year), as do a number of the Sol guys so we could see a fairly consistent roster for the next two years.

20. ohhh_yeah

ohhh_yeah New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Portland
    during the match at blackbaud stadium, there was several "fans" turned around chit-chatting during the whole match... i hate seeing this...
    the "upcoming fans=kids" were seen in a corner of the stadium kicking a ball around the whole match... obviously bored as they did not pay attention to any of the match...
    the webcast's positive is that they have several different camera operators, so you get to see different angles...
    the webcast's negative is that they continue to mess around with their replay system while the match is in progress... so you have to miss some of the live action...

sonoma county sol actually played a good match and was unlucky to find the back of the net... #18 from the sol stood out on the pitch...

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sure you get your fair share of hand sitters too. Im sure not everyone at as vibrant as the Timbers Army. A few people chit chating and a few kids in the corner kicking the ball don't bother me, to each his own. I like sitting in the louder sections when I attend matches. the one we have for Battery matches happened to be closed.

Combine that with the fact, half the stadium was closed, it was a team no on really had heard of and the team Battery seemed to be playing with two cyclinders, I was surprised we still got 1300 at the match.

Derek did well in goal last night, considering he had our BTG vrew behind the goal all match heckling him, seemed to push right through it. One of the kids who usually sits in the supporteres group was a ball boy last night, right in front of where I sat last night. He was having a hard time containing himself everytime Derek took a GK, he let slip a couple "ohhhhhh...punto" when he took a kick. thought that was funny.

I hope to see you guys some time again in the future seemed like a quality team and a class organization.

mikey

22. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Thanks for being good hosts to our guys.

Here is the account posted on the Sol's website (front page). Apologies for the typos (e.g., Blackbud)*:

*I did not write it in case you were wondering.

Best of luck to the Battery in Atlanta tomorrow and in the rest of your USL-1 season (and third round of the Open Cup).

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cristo

thanks for the article. I would love to hear what your players and staff thought of our facility. We have a great ownership group and they have done a fine job putting together a great club. The pub is the jewel in my opinion and overhearing some of the Sol players, they thought it was increadible.

Ill keep checkin in on the Sol.

mikey