6-25 v. Carolina Railhawks

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by kofte, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kofte

kofte Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    After two unlucky losses, we get the league high-flyers at Silverbacks Park on Saturday night. The game earlier in the season was a close one until late on. This would be a big statement if we could grab another win!

Also, heard today that Silverbacks are going to call it "Thrashers' Fans Appreciation Night" to try and lure some hockey fans over. More details here:

http://www.birdwatchersanonymous.co...ks-to-throw-thrashers-fans-appreciation-night

2. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told my girlfriend to wear her Thrashers jersey to the game. Hopefully she will get one of the free t shirts since those jerseys are made for cold weather.

I am looking forward to the game, first one of the year for us.

3. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tons of respect for all the Silverbacks fans who continue to support their team. "Mad props," as the hip kids say. Hopefully the boys start winning some games (after Saturday, of course) and you'll feel rewarded for your loyalty.

BTW, what nickname do y'all use for the team? The 'Backs? The Apes? :confused:

4. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    Weather on Saturday will be a good deal cooler (87 degrees), with scattered thundershowers. With the heat breaking a bit I am hoping for some Thrasher fans to show up. We will see.

Yes a win would be glorious, and I think possible.

5. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thrashers tie-in is a good one - it really sucks losing your team like that, and if you can find another sport and another hometown team to pull for, that's cool. Best of luck with the attendance.

For every goal we have allowed, the RailHawks have scored over two and a half. For every goal the Silverbacks have scored, they've allowed over two and a half.

Is it possible for your team to win this match? Yes, absolutely. Is it even remotely likely? No. (Though after having been shut out for 80 minutes last time, I'm quite worried about the possible draw.)

6. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    I believe in our team and am optimistic, nevertheless.

We knew this year would be tough given the re-start and the lack of time to prepare. I admire our team's never-quit-spirit and tenacity. I see continued growth through shared adversity. I see "victory" with each incremental improvement, and there have been many so far. The wins will come in time because our hearts are in the right place.

Really, any team we play should fear us. We have nothing to lose and are improving with each game.

7. kofte

kofte Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    @westau glad to hear you're coming out for Saturday. Hopefully you'll see some good footy (hopefully it will be us playing it), though we may need to feed Etienne Barbara some 'Tottenham Lasagne'.

I agree with drummer that we have no fear any more. That's been my impression in the last three games and we're definately getting better. One thing to tackle is keeping concentration the whole 90 minutes - we get tired and lose focus late on. That's where the home crowd comes in!

8. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By that standard, don't just expect another victory Saturday - count on it. From the few I've watched I'd say your team gets stronger game by game, and mine will really give them a chance to show what they're made of.

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I've been calling them the 'Backs for several years. But that's just me. :D

10. kofte

kofte Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    urgh. well that was just an old-fashioned tonking. A glorious opening ten minutes followed by a pretty awful eighty. Super Jimmy Maurer made the scoreline semi-respectable, but we gave them so much space. They were having cracks on goal because no one was closing them down. Bad night football wise, but we had some good chants going and some quality cross-field chanting between 109 and 309 in the second half. And I got to sing '1-0 to the Silverbacks' for a brief period :)

11. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, great passing for our one goal, but terrible lazy defending gave them most of their goals. Can't give the guy 3 yards to shoot every time.

Overall we had fun at the game though, really liked the $3 beers but I would like for them to add a couple other beers like Sweetwater and Sam Adams. We were planning on going to at least one more game this season but it looks like I somehow already am planning on going out of town every single home game for the rest of the year so unless the team picks it up and makes the playoffs we won't be able to go again until next spring.

12. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Road trip! You're not that far from Tampa...

13. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    They offer sponsor-beers. You should ask management about this. I have heard they are adding hard-cider after one of the 109 who requires a "gluten-free diet" asked for it and a sponsor was found. My guess is that if you ask the team to talk to Sweetwater and Sweetwater agrees to even a small sponsorship the team will offer it. I believe Sweetwater is ATL based so they might agree.

14. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya Sweetwater is brewed and headquartered in Atlanta, that is why I was surprised they didn't have it.

15. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I hate driving to Florida, way too many old people clogging up the roads going the speed limit in whatever lane they choose. The last time I drove to Tampa took 7 hours down, 10 back because of all the old people heading back to Indiana/Michigan/Canada on I-75. Probably wouldn't have to worry about it as much this time of year though.

I actually do fly down to Tampa a few times a year for work though, maybe I can time the next one to match up with a game...

16. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Right now, the team has a deal with Tecate/Heineken. Not sure how long that deal runs, I'd assume that it provides them exclusivity.

17. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuk! :mad: Sweetwater is 1,000 times better than that swill.

18. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They at least did have the Dos Equis Amber. Although the first time I went to the concession stand the guy had no clue what Dos Equis was and we had to describe the bottle to him...

I personally wouldn't drink Heineken unless it was free, and even then I might pass. I understand exclusivity deals and how well they can work for companies sometimes, just sucks from the consumer perspective when the selection sucks.

19. kofte

kofte Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, all I'd add is given they got swoopd by the cops two weeks back for not having the right license to sell beer, I'll be glad to take whatever they've got! Though would love to see Sweetwater or Red Brick in the concession stands.

20. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that is no good. Maybe I should have been happy with my Amstel Light after all...

I did see a cop at the game go up to one of the Westside 109 guys in the second half to tell him he needed to cut out the You Suck A****** cheer. A lot better then the way it was apparently handled in New England a couple weeks ago.

21. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Is that the best use of the police's time, micro-managing fan chants? That would never happen at Braves game, would it?

22. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that seems like a request a team staff member should be making. But way, way better than "We've decided not to tell you we don't allow that chant anymore, but now that you're doing it anyway you're under arrest."

23. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he basically went down to him and pointed out the small children 4 rows behind him and then walked back to where he was before. I think it does happen at Braves games when people are unruly but also there weren't any Silverbacks personnel around either who could have said something to the guy instead of the cop.

It was also stupid just in general for the guy to be doing it while the Silverbacks were already losing 3-1 at the time and made him look like an idiot.

I was mainly mentioning it though as a much better way for it to be handled then the 20 or so people who were arrested and banned from the Revolution games recently.

24. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was well done by the man in blue. I sit corrected.

True, but let's give the Silverback faithful some slack here. They've been very patient.

I've missed that. That doesn't sound like it was handled well at all.

25. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, it didn't seem like it was, apparently the front office sent an email or two about how much they don't like the chant to the heads of the supporters groups a couple days before the match with no mention of make sure it doesn't ever get chanted again. So when it started security and police started arresting, even people who weren't involved in the chant apparently. It also seemed like they would understand that they sell tickets to a generic supporters section so the people who run the supporters groups only have control over about half of the people in the section, and even then how are they supposed to get it to stop in a day? So needless to say there are a lot of angry supporters in New England.