6/24/15 DCU @ Chicago Game Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murr, Jun 23, 2015.

?

What will happen on Wednesday?

Poll closed Jun 26, 2015.
  1. VAMOS UNITED ESTA NOCHE TENEMOS QUE GANAR

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Chicago burns DCU's hopes and claims all three points

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Olsen gets tossed by the Joker in the Middle, Ashton leads us from 3 points to 1

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Pontius stays home, nurses injury with ice bags and bonbons

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Game cancelled as Tropical Storm Bill changes course for the Windy City

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Aqua Lung sponsors game, supplies players with scuba packages, MLS leads the way again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Espindola shown first underwater red card for biting off Jeff Larentowicz's air supply line.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Worst. First place team. Ever.

;)

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Too bad Boloni got in his car and left before Doyle scored his GOTW.:) Really, we are living in a parallel universe where Conor Effing Doyle goes all Zlatan on us. If Kasper and Olsen sold their souls to the Devil, they're getting the benefit of the bargain right now. BTW, I liked Coria, Mishu looked better than either Korb or Kemp and Halsti was fine (but a bit slow). Arrieta was Arrieta. I also don't think the back 4 was lazy at all, they smothered everything and Birnbaum turned in a yeoman performance at right back.

3. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Doyle... I think my head just exploded from cognitive dissonance, and I am glad?

shawn12011, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  4. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    3 points thanks to one heck of a shot!

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  5. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I will say it now, Conor Doyle is the new Josh Gros.

shawn12011 and DCUSA repped this.
  6. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another solid defensive performance leads to somehow managing to get a road win when I thought it as destined for 0-0.

Winoman repped this.
  7. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connor Doyle. Maker of goals. Winner of games.

Deal with it.

8. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Doyle :(
    Doyle :laugh:
    Doyle :)

Winoman repped this.
  9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You missed some pretty cool stuff tonight.

Thx,

Jay!

10. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Conor Doyle with the wonder goal and a good first half too.

Mishu was quite which is good for a defender. Coria looked very good in the first half and then tired.

Ben managed this one wonderfully. Now let's bring on TFC with its three-headed beast of an attack.

Vamos United!

fatbastard repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I almost left, but not because of Doyle … I generally feel on edge in situations where children outnumber adults. Seriously it felt like I walked into a day care center that just happens to be in a soccer stadium

Sad to see how far the Fire has fallen from their glory years. OK … not exactly sad … but puzzling. That club really feels like a minor league club in a major league city. From the play on the field to the confused look on Yallop's face and to the mediocre game day atmosphere.

Kudos to Ben … He really rested all the key attackers and midfielders and still got the 3 points. Last night was all about lock down defense. When we start Boswell, Opare, Birnbaum and Halsti we're hard to break down.

12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were infinitely helped by Chicago's ineptitude. They had many wayward crosses and shots. They showed almost every hallmark of a bad team. They were even struggling to set up on a free kick at one point. Chicago had almost no ideas on how to break down our defense, which was solid, but still vulnerable. The few times they got us out of shape with some quick passes they blew it.

Our team on the other hand, looked organized almost the entire game. Which is pretty good considering the rotation we're doing. That's a credit to the players to some degree, but mostly the coaching staff. I also think it says a lot about the coaches that a guy like Mishu gets drafted, sits around doing almost nothing for a few months, and pops his head up a couple times and looks like he in his 2nd year already. He might just be having a good day, but it didn't look like we lost a lot there. At least against Chicago.

Doyle has a long way to go to be Josh Gros, but the tools are there. He needs to learn to cross the ball and his defense needs to get better.

Boloni86 and stangspritzring repped this.
  13. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joga bonita it isn't - but results count - 3 points

nice crack by Doyle ...

three more road games - one at a time.

no goals yielded ... I just love seeing Boswell, Birnbaum, and Opare in the back with Hamid ... a great package of players ....

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Interesting factoid on Twitter last night from Thomas Floyd: DC United is the first MLS team to win a Wednesday night game on the road this season.

Nice to see New England lose again. And feel rather fortunate we don't have any more games against them.

sitruc, Winoman and JRHokie repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win, well deserved by the guys.

At about the 23rd minute I started to feel good about the game a little and by the 33rd I told gittnbizzee that I had no doubt at all we'd get points out of the game unless something bizarre happened (which in soccer, it often does) and they got a fluke goal. They did get behind the defense once or twice wide open, but they always gave me a reason to laugh and/or yell Thank You For Sucking :)

Halsti owned the midfield and got great support from the players around him. I'm sure it had something to do with Chicago's lack of confidence or ability, but we really just dictated the midfield in this game. Would have been nice to have better finishing, but Johnson was actually having a really good game in goal for them. I figured that would limit us to one point instead of the three I thought our play deserved, but then along comes Doyle. wow.

In real time, I thought the goal must have just barely hit the inside of the crossbar and come back out - it just went in and bounced back out so fast - if not for all the red players' heads dropping and our guys running to the sideline I might have thought it was still in play. In slo-mo, looks like it might have just brushed off BobbyBoswell.com's right butt-cheek before it went it. Probably took all the hair off on the way :eek: Venomous! ;)

Between United and the US Women, I am drinking a lot on weeknights this week :D

16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I looked it up and Mishu wasn't drafted by anybody. He was on trial earlier with RSL and joined DC when it traveled to Austin. Given that Lewis Neal previously had a trial with RSL before DC picked him up, I would say DC should trial anybody RSL looks at and passes on. I thought Mishu looked very solid last night. Good on the ball, good pace and didn't have a "deer in the headlights" look about him either on offense or defense.

As for Doyle -- scoff all you want, he is the 2015 version of Josh Gros and now one of the "Brothers of the Headband" with Rolfe and Halsti.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Also, drink whenever he makes a reference to DNA.

Exactly what I was thinking at the time. He was really wasted last night.

Halsti last night:

Winoman and freekickwiz repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I have to give Connor Doyle a five match amnesty. :D

19. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not an option. Either he abused the ball, which is a 3 game amnesty, or assaulted it, which is a six game amnesty.

Seriously, I want to know whose face Doyle was picturing on that ball when he struck it. I refuse to believe he was just trying to score. There was some wrath in that shot.

shawn12011, Winoman and asitis repped this.
  20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, that was an assault.

21. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Eff you, Bigsoccer United forum guys!"

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santino was loving Mishu. I agree that I thought he was adequate and almost did a couple of good things going forward. A good squad player with some potential.
    Which reminds me... who is actually in Richmond right now?!

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I've got nothing of value to add, but I do feel like I just found a $100 bill in ja acket I hadn't worn for a while.:D
    On to Toronto.

asitis

24. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been a LOT of shuffling back and forth. Last Kickers game was Saturday and they started Worra and Robinson. They are on the road this weekend, so no idea who they will have.

sitruc repped this.
  25. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought Mishu did well. A little over ambitious at times but he showed a lot of confidence on the ball.

Winoman repped this.