6/11 - UpBeat vs. magicJill

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by StevieBeat, Jun 10, 2011.

1. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thoughts on this weekend's game? Galanis says in the MDJ “I’ve overheard the players talk about how much they enjoy playing at home in front of our fans,” he said. “Our fans are the best. They give us a little extra push when we’re out there on the field. We’re excited to play at home, and there’s no doubt that we’re going to do everything that we can to win this weekend.”

The weather might be rough, but hopefully there will be a good crowd out this weekend. If anyone's interested, I have four meal vouchers for a free hot dog, chips and soda (yeah, I pulled the trigger on the Game-Used Jersey deal).

Possible things to watch for....

WPS' own weekly version of "Where's Waldo?" starring Dan Borislow.
    Will Kacey White play and, if so, will she pull a Klingenberg? (Has anyone else noticed we're slowly turning into SkyBlue 2010?)
    Allison will be in goal, but which one?
    Will magicJack play 3 back? Is this finally the defense our "Who's up top?" forward can penetrate?
    Trotter's not on the Roster Report for this week, will she start?
    Will CrazyOldLady throw a platypus on the field if we lose?

2. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Well one of you questions is easily answered. Galanis said in one of his midweek reports that Whitworth would be continuing in goal on Saturday.

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Will magicJack play 3 back? Is this finally the defense our "Who's up top?" forward can penetrate?

it's the only way the fool knows how to play, as he said.

if i was atlanta, i'd push everything forward in the 1st 20 mins and try to get the first goal of the match. i'm taking beats if that happens masar won't finish again, couldn't finish against wny and couldn't again last week.

unless mj run plays to make Press the primary striker with the reserves, it's going to be a couple of 0 point games for magicDope. and this is from a mj fan.

mj scores 1st than business as usual for atlanta.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the prediction thread, I noted that ATL has yet to throw enough numbers forward that would pull a 3 back defense apart. That's why I didn't pick a tie as the outcome. If Galanis has changed his tactics and will send numbers forward and go for the win at home, ATL has a chance. If mJ can't finish, ATL also has a chance.

5. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possibly Stevie, will certainly throw a wobbler.

Noticed on WPS Roster Site that India is available today but who knows what will happen.T- ed off that Magic Ass is calling us a High school team in MDJ article, we don't deserve that disrespect, guess it's a childish jab at Fitz re League rules and suspensions.Hopefully we can hit him where it hurts by winning the game and taking away his cellphone and computer.

6. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, he's "always the last one to know", so give the man a break.:rolleyes:

Atlanta needs to start scoring. They've been shut out for 315 straight minutes now. But, of course, they are improving according to the coach.:rolleyes:

I'm rolling my eyes so much, I'm getting dizzy. This is like the twilight zone, certainly not based in any reality.

At least, Atlanta made a very sensible move picking up Kacey White in the trade. I think she will help. She had a couple of decent years with Sky Blue.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. I do want to cheer for the Beat but the whole coaching & team choices over the last 2 years makes it hard for me.

9. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, kool-aide. I've bought season tickets for the past two years in spite of the coaching and choices. The least you can do is cheer for the Beat in one little game against magicDouche.:D

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  11. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    God, how I do ever love your one man relentless push to drag Ella Masar's talent through the mud with each post. I'm sure those shots from long range that went ten feet over the bar and needless fouls from Press are just slipping your mind when you post.

And, boy, has there ever been less coaching talent on the field than what's coming up tonight? Oy vey.

12. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps in the epic battle of the Unicorns vs. Dolphins in the 2010 DeKalb County YMCA U-10 Girls championship game.

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    oh please, i'm the only thing on this board you can call a magicjack fan. it's not like freedom fans are wishing him well. as far as masar, have you seen their 2 tv games? she's doing an aluko, not finishing. you want me to give her credit for not putting away at least 1 goal opportunitiy in which she has had at least 5-7 in 2 televised games.

as far as press goes, to some on this board she was a member of the harlem globetrotters at stanford, so you know what they think about her.

when last i looked masar and press have 2 goals a piece, but masar gets the bulk of opportunities right in front of the net including 2 balls which press put right on her feet.

hey, i'm all magicDan, Whabby, Masar, U13-14 BabyJacks and the whole circus down in Boca.

and of course....
    [​IMG]
    :p

ps masar needs to finish, and if she doesnt again today, mj could leave atlanta 4-3. she's the vet and the go-to girl with abby gone. that's it.

14. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Game's been temporarily delayed because of the obnoxious thunder cloud off to the side..... and I don't mean Borislow.

15. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bwahaha :D

16. erisa

erisa New Member

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Uh oh, everyone, better hurry and unplug your magicJacks!

17. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Lead by head coach Abby Wambach". Dan's got a sense of humor, I'll give him that.

18. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i think masar read my aluko comments. :)

19. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White was MVP of the 2005 W-League final four for the New Jersey Wildcats. That may not sound like much since it's the W-League, but her teammates included Cat Reddick, Christie Welsh, Christine Latham, Lindsay Tarpley, Heather O'Reilly, Tobin Heath, and Karina LeBlanc.

20. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I thought White played reasonably well considering she hadn't gone a full ninety in God knows how long. Hope the Beat keep the 4-4-2 look and just go for it instead of retreating into their shell as has been the case earlier in the season.

21. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Entertaining game tonight. I actually like magicJack (although I am not a fan of how dramatic Masar seems to make everything look). So what if the owner makes derogatory comments towards the other team?
    I thought White played pretty well, especially considering that she had just joined the team. I was glad to see Trotter back on the field in the second half. Still not sold on Salem and Patterson.
    From a goal-keeping perspective, this game was...eye-opening.

22. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Whitworth was bad, Maron was abominable. I wanted to shut my eyes after a while.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why'd she get the nod ahead of Lipsher? I know ATL got pounded w/ her in goal once or twice (and she was at fault for some of that) but she was playing generally respectable or did I miss even more blunders by her?

24. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ellertson was a rock tonight (and a very fast one at that). I couldn't even count how many of our attacks she snuffed out with ease. We definitely came out aggressive (goal disallowed I believe within the first minute) and kept it up for most of the game. We could have beaten just about any other team tonight that didn't have Tina. White's goal showed a poise and confidence that's been lacking with so many youngsters. Definitely looking forward to her and Chalupny working together. The ball distribution and first touch are still suspect from many of the newcomers (think "frantic"), but much improved overall. Masar took a decent beating out there, so I don't think there was too much embellishment on her part. She's actually one of my favorite players, but when I watched her launch some moon shots during warm-ups, I thought "oh man, newsouth was right, this girl can't finish to save her life!"

25. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe that once again, we conceded goals within the first five minutes of the game, right before the halftime whistle and right after. This seems to continue to be a pattern (as it was last year). How is that not a coaching issue?
    Agreed on Ellertson - great game on her part. In fact, most of the former Beat players appear to have a pretty good season and perform at a higher level than they did last year.
    White definitely kept the mJ defense much more occupied than before - previously, the opposing team never seemed to worry much about our forwards, so this was good to see. And I cannot stress enough how thankful I am that Chalupny is on the team.