6/10/17 - Atlanta United at Chicago Fire

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Jun 10, 2017.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came here to see what y'all were discussing about the game, and found that it was... nada. So here's your thread.

Already a few chances by each team, but 0-0 in the 18th minute.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At halftime Chicago leads 1-0.

Atlanta's strategy appears to be to let Accam run free behind the defense, wander aimlessly around the midfield, and spray crosses into the box that our 5'5" attacking players cannot possibly hope to meet.

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're lucky Accam is terrible at passing, or it could have been 5-0.

I'd be happy to replace the entire back line during the summer window. Maybe Guzan can make something out of them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Alabama Soccer repped this.
  4. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking. Fingers crossed we use the summer window.

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we talk about getting someone in management that believes corners are more than just a new way to concede possession? Can't believe people just look past Martino allowing us to waste so many scoring opportunities. Absolutely ridiculous.

On the bright side, we've made it truly easy to gameplan against us. Pack it in, put runners up top and sit your best passer in deep. Wait for United to give the ball away, get it to your passer and put it over the top of the defense.

Pissed off! Not saying we should have won the match. Chicago is no pushover. But we beat ourselves....from the manager on down.

6. kroppduster

kroppduster New Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 3, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The blueprint against us is: Press high on goal kicks, but then back off and allow useless possession otherwise. Pack it in, look for the turnover, then break. And win the set pieces. Ben Olson figured us out in that second DC game, and the league has followed. Vancouver and Chicago really made it click. Our back line is not precise enough with the trap, and even when they are the officials can't be trusted. That last time they got behind us and Kann made the strong save - clearly off-side. The telecast never gave a good view on the first goal - Accam and the other guy were WAY out there when the ball reached them, I'd love to see a better shot of where they were when the ball was played. Regardless, Parkhurst dribbling up the gut and needlessly turning it over, we deserved to give the goal anyway.

Omg Tito, just hit the frame already. Did we have one shot on goal?

Time for some adjustments.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to seriously consider new backline options.... teams have figured us out and we need to cut off the bleeding.

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of whether there was an offside infraction on that Accam counter that resulted in a goal, it was clear to me that the AR was well behind the play and making an educated guess.

....not that we deserved anything from that match. We did not.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry about that. Busy with the kids during the day and, well, life happens.

I'm not taking the blame for the L, however!

- - - - -

Okay, as to Saturday...

Frustrating in that I thought the boys played better than the previous week but still had the same anemic results in front of goal. At the least, this result seemed more honest whereas the Vancouver match was something out of the Twilight Zone. Full props to Chicago as they delivered when needed, offside or not offside. At the least, it wasn't as if Atlanta should've come away feeling they deserved 3 points.

At this point I'm open to defensive suggestions, and part of me is wondering about trading Carmona for a more offensive-minded midfielder and dropping Larentowicz into a deeper position to support Parkhurst and Pirez. Not sure if Gressel could do that trick when both Villalba and Martinez are available but that might be worth a spin. Maybe Kratz? Jeff would at least then add some height and defensive grit to the back, while covering for when Pirez or Parkhurst tend to track out of position. Mears is also looking more and more like the weakest of the back four, IMO. Not sure if the answer is simply replacing him or what.

As to the attack, Asad and Villalba are highly talented players but something is not clicking with them at the moment. They're not consistently making runs with/to Almiron (or whoever has the ball in the middle) that aid the attack, I think. Tito tends to run away in attempt to make/find space for something deep but ends up leaving the ball-handler with less options. Asad tends to find congested spaces too often and has a habit of dribbling into trouble. They're still good players but have simmered from those first few games where it looked like they'd both be possible all-stars. Maybe the dynamic resets itself once Martinez is installed up front once more. We shall see.

I thought the general approach was right by Tata and think he's still headed in the right direction with this team, but obviously they have some further tweaking to make.

10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No blame to be laid. I just happened to be the first one here, which was surprising to me.
    I think the weakness of the defense is the back line itself. They are consistently out of position, they don't cover each other, and they give the ball away. Our central midfield is, IMO, OK.
    Agreed. At this point, I'm not sure what he's bringing to the team.
    Asad is just lazy and/or out of shape. When he has the ball at his feet he's very competent. I haven't noticed Villalba.