50a Copa Libertadores 2010

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  2. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Traffic Sports, holders of the TV rights for the Copa Libertadores outside the Americas, said revenues from the sale of the competition's rights are up 350 per cent in the last four years.

The number of countries taking coverage has increased threefold, from 46 to an unprecedented 135 countries. Jean Marc Schwartzenberg, Director of International Business at Traffic Sports, commented: “The quality of the football that is played in South America, as well as the care that is being put into production and post-production, makes Copa Libertadores a television product on a par with any of the top European championships.”

Copa Libertadores is now sold to a record-breaking 135 countries outside the Americas. Current broadcasters include Setanta (UK), Sogecable (Spain), Chellomedia/Sport 1 (Netherlands), SportItalia (Italy), NTV Plus (Russia), Al-Dowaly (Middle East), GTV (Sub-Saharan Africa), NTV (Japan) and CCTV (China), amongst others.

Its only a matter of time :D

3. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    That is true. Apart from LDU, Ecuadorian football is pretty mediocre to say the least.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is how it's shaping up for Argentine clubs:

1-Defending Copa Libertadores Champion: Estudiantes de La Plata

2-Clausura Champion: Velez Sarsfield

3-Apertura Champion: Most likely will be Newells Old Boys or Banfield.

4-Top three record, other than champions: Colon de Santa Fe

5-Top three record, other than champions: Most likely will be Lanus (needs one more point out of nine to play)

6-Top three record, other than champions: Most likely will be Newells Old Boys or Banfield, whichever does not win the Apertura title.

Others with an outside shot to either win the Apertura or sneak into the three top records: San Lorenzo, Independiente, Rosario Central.

So, unless San Lorenzo or Independiente manage to sneak in (which would take a major choke job by Lanus, Newell's or Banfield in the last three matches), none of the Big Five teams from Buenos Aires will participate in the next Copa Libertadores.

5. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I would say that it is as good as Chilean club futbol history and on par better than Peruvian club futbol history,if you guys didn't know LDU Quito isn't the first Ecuadorian team to make it to a final or past the group stage the first team to nearly make a final was El Nacional in the Libertadores '85,Barcelona also made it to two finals and Emelc as well for the Copa Merconorte in 2001.

So in general our best teams of all time are El Nacional,Liga,Barcelona,and Emelec.But in present I would say that I would put domestic leagues in this order: Argentina
    Brazil
    Ecuador
    Chile
    Paraguay
    Colombia
    Uruguay
    Peru
    Venezuela
    Bolivia

Anyone agree with me?

6. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    I don't care about 2nd places. Second places means losing. If we are going to talk about football, I want to see titles.

I would rate the current leagues like this:

1- Brazil
    2- Argentina
    3- Mexico
    4- Ecuador
    5- Paraguay
    6- Chile
    7- Venezuela
    8- Colombia
    9- Uruguay
    10- Peru
    11- Bolivia

7. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Facking a.......I don't want to see Lanus in international tournaments no more.

Lo unico que han hecho es ir a pasear y llevarse goleadas. :rolleyes:

8. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    if your talking about titles than it would be more like this in order : Argentina,Brazil,Uruguay,Paraguay,Colombia,CHile,Ecuador,Peru,and then Bolivia and Venezuela in dead last with no international titles.

9. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    :rolleyes:

10. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Why is Brazil on top of Argentina they have won less titles than Argentina,if you didn't know Boca Juniors alone is one of the most successful clubs in the world with AC Milan behind them.

11. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Venezuela's league is NOT stronger than Colombia, Uruguay, or hell, even Peru's league.

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Depends what the ranking is based on.

My ranking (recent years)
    1) Brazil: Consistently having a team in the final and winning some. Inter won the Sul-americana recently.
    2) Argentina: Titles and final participations were by Boca until recently with Estudiantes.
    3) Uruguay: Typically send teams deep into the Libertadores.
    4) Chile: They send a different group of teams that tend to be competitive in the Libertadores.
    5) Ecuador: One team does not make the league. While LDU may better than the teams in Chile and Uruguay, the rest of their teams are not, at least in Libertadores competition.
    6) Paraguay: Libertad always has a strong showing. Once in a while, another team make things competitive, but they are usually disappointing.
    7) Colombia: Their teams are decent, but never seem to get out of the group stage or the second round.
    8) Venezuela: Caracas put themselves above the last 2 countries. I don't think the rest of the league is much worse than most Peruvians or Bolivians whereas Caracas is a lot more competitive than teams from Peru or Bolivia.
    9) Peru: Once in a while there will be a competitive team that steals some points.
    10) Bolivia: An embarassment.

13. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    cristal, and cienciano always still points
    and dont forget san martin

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    San Martin has probably the best performance of any Peruvian team in recent years. They were 16th out of 16 teams in the 2nd round and lost both of their games.

Cienciano has stolen a point here or there, but nothing major.

15. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    beating bolivar at la paz isnt easy though..........

cristal last appareance was in 2006, because both 2007 and 2009 playoffs dont count...

in 2004 and 2005 we oplayed decent, in 2006 we sucked, same for 2007, but in 2009 estudiantes barely defeated us in the 88th minute! they tied the score 2-2, and due to the away goal they advanced to the group stages

16. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I disagree on some of your points,first off LDU isn' the only team that is competitive in the Libertadores when El Nacional has made it,as well as Barcelona who haven't shamed us,except El Nacional's last shocking elimination in 2009,and also most of our teams have made it out of the first round in this decade and pulled off defeats against Argie opposition
    on their soil as well as at home(not to mention against Brazilians too).

And Paraguay and Colombia has stopped being competitive in these cups since recently because they always had a team that won it for them or gave a great performance,usually Cerro or Olimpia or Libertad.

17. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    but then again Bolivar isn't a very competitive team,they are alright but they're barely competitive to make it easily out of the group stage not to mention most of the Bolivian league,and the Venezuelan league is still a bit mediocre seeing as none of their teams have actually made it passed the second round.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When Real Potosi is your best team during those years and they get trashed at home, in higher altitude than La Paz, Bolivar really isn't much of a threat.

19. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I feel bad for Bolivian futbol club supporters because every cup is the same story for them,I guess they prepare for another asswhooping in high altitude everry cup because pretty much all their clubs are bad:Jorge Wilstermann,Bolivar,The Strongest,and Real Potosi all of them always end up packing their bags early.Peruvian teams aren't very entertaining to watch but at times they do surprise even the best teams,and Venezuelan teams actually surprise at times(well Caracas),but even then do play mediocre in the cups and their other teams play just as bad as Bolivian clubs.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For Barcelona, it's been what? Over 10 years since they've done something? I was talking about mostly the last 5 years.

El Nacional hasn't qualified out of the group stage in recent years, if I'm not mistaken. I think LDU has been the only Ecuadorian team to do so since 2004.

There are still teams that give trouble within the groups. It's not uncommon that some end up with around 7 points or so. Some of them even make it out of the group stages, like Libertad, Atletico Nacional in 06. I rated both below Ecuador anyways.:)

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It is sad. I'm not informed very much about their football other than the fact they have been poor in the Libertadores. In the early 80s, my club had great games with Bolivian teams like Jorge Wilstermann. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

22. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    lol thanks for ranking Ecudor higher then,and actually I've been informed that the only team from Bolivia to make it far in the Libertadores was Bolivar in 1998,but they lost in the semis against ours truly Barcelona SC in both legs of the semifinal.And as for Colombian teams you are right this Libertadores they didn't make it out of the groups surprisingly with the Paraguayans,and the only consolation was Caracas who eventually like everyone knew,was going to fall to a Brazilian team like usually Venezuela do.

23. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    and flamengo goes to libertadores everysingle year to libertadores?

give me a break

24. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Sorry, dude. There have been plenty of teams who have made it to the final, semifinal, etc.

The only one worth anything in Equator is LDU.

The rest? Well...who cares? :D

25. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I'm a Chiva fan by heart but I would love to see Cruz Azul back in it
    once more that Argentine forward Villa is awsome to watch I know
    he and Cruz Azul would rip it up in Libertadores. Morelia
    will be in Libertadores they have a Brasilian player that's awesome Mengao you
    know his name? I am sure Morelia will make it to the knock out stages.