5 YA: Fulham vs. Everton, 3/16 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by mattygp, Mar 14, 2008.

1. johnboys

johnboys Member

Jul 15, 2001
    N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ME thinks if Fulham do not pull it out and do go down, that Mcbride will get picked up by Everton, i think that with his history with Moyes/the coach that this is a given. He just seems in such great shape and i think he's still 35 going 36??? He'll be back in the Priemier someway or another.

2. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Well, at least you got through a Fulham post without calling the team's manager "Hogs." I guess there's hope yet...

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I honestly just cant figure out his position. Dont hog the info man, let me know.

4. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
  5. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news for Fulham! This is finally starting to look like they might pull it off,but I'm not entirely sold on it. Either way congrats.

6. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
  7. WShine

WShine Member

Jan 19, 2005
    New Jersey
    I agree. This is great. I really appreciate it. I downloaded the file but couldn't watch it. I got a message that the file may be compressed. Do you have to decompress it somehow in order to watch it?

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Does he make a radical suggestion that they may want to start winning games by scoring more goals and allowing fewer?

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They started today against a very good Everton team and have already been playing better since McBride and Bullard returned. We also know how good Keller can be when he's on.
    Ties won't do them a lot of good. Obviously they need to score and win. The point (if you chose to read rather than make a joke) was that the teams ahead of them have tougher schedules so its not so difficult that despite being down a few points, they can survive relegation.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's still a bad - largely irrelevant - point since it suggests little else.

Some of us were suggesting here within the last two weeks that Fulham go to a "2-forward + 2-wings" system.

Hodgson obviously didn't read our suggestion and stayed with a 4-4-2 Box rather than a Diamond.

Then again, Everton is one of top teams.

But Ives breaks no ground here.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry to have bothered you, but perhaps others who hadn't seen the schedule breakdown might be glad to have seen it and gained some new perspective from it. He doesn't break any ground and I didn't say that he did, but he does lay out the situation ahead which I hadn't seen laid out so plainly before and its even more relevant after the surprise win today.
    Again, sorry to bother you. Some of us here are YA fans and are interested in the relegation battle.

13. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
  14. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Better get used to it. While your perspective is dead on, there are people on BigSoccer who have staked their credibility on one player or another sucking. When that player turns out to be OK, those posters tend to reinvent themselves with a new nickname.

I thought Eddie played OK - getting a little better each week. To be honest, I'm surprised he's getting this much playing time this quickly, but he's adjusting. I expect he'll be starting next week, too.

15. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cross was good, under the circumstance that it was off of his left foot... but there were two defenders who went too deep before the cross was made... McBride did a great job of putting it away, you're right about it being a really clever finish.

The goal was fortunate in a couple ways, but impressive for more reasons.

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Perhaps the problem is with the phrase "Ives discusses how Fulham can avoid the drop...". Why, perhaps. How, I am not sure.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds-super nitpicky to me. I understand the issue after thinking about it more closely, but "why" isn't really accurate either. Ives himself used the word how: "So how will Fulham avoid relegation?"
    Sorry if everyone was expecting some new tactical revelation, but I actually think the team is fundamentally better with Keller, Bullard, and McBride in there and I don't know that any tactical changes are necessary. Maybe they are, but maybe not. My point was about the schedule favoring Fulham.

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For crying out loud, this was a reasonable post to make. I wasn't going to look up the remaining schedule of all the teams in the relegation battle. It's a useful overview and rep to Heist for posting it.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks...
    some people do love to pick at just about any post they can.
    Glad to know at least some people appreciated it.

20. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver
    I thought Ives's article was a good read. Of particular note was Bolton's schedule.

Looks like they are toast.

He didn't put up Newcastle's remaining schedule. I'd be curious to see who they have to play, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

21. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE/]He didn't put up Newcastle's remaining schedule. I'd be curious to see who they have to play, and I'm too lazy to look it up.[/QUOTE]

Newcastle has 9 remaining matches, including one tomorrow:

@ Birmingham
    Fulham
    @ Tottenham
    Reading
    @ Portsmouth
    Sunderland
    @ West Ham
    Chelsea
    @ Everton

So 6/9 opponents on the bottom half of the table (3 of those at home). Could be much worse.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that, if Newcastle wins tomorrow, they'll be pretty close to safety. If not, they are probably in the fight as well, but like Fulham have one of the better schedules.

23. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I hate Fulham...

ok I kid I kid...but Everton needed that one badly as they are in contention for a CL spot...

I guess Everton and Fulham will just have to win out now...they don't play each other anymore thankfully for me.

24. henvik

henvik New Member

May 21, 2007
    McBride have the best header in the world, he's a monster down there.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Had extra hour on the train and decided to progress EJ's game by the minute.
    1' header in traffic, to everton
    1' controls ball top of box, back pass to pienaar- everton
    3' holds ball, backpass, midfield
    4' header to open space, top of box right side, goes to Everton
    5' loses header, does not contest
    6' miss chest play off long pass at midfield
    6' sideways pass to onrunning everton defender
    7' runs out on Bullard run, instead of inside...EJ pulls two defenders away, though.
    (announcer at this point has bullard walking on water, while EJ and MCB should be whipped)
    8' loses contest on open ball, then runs to nowhere when Bullard takes it back.
    9' piss poor pass to andreasson who makes a great run center, EJ kind of lofts it right and long.
    10' EJ connects on back pass to Davies! on the wing, davies sends it into the box, MCB lofts it across the box.
    12' wins ball in traffic backpass
    13' wins ball again backpass
    13' header top of box, everton take control.
    16' penalty against, FK comes to nothing
    20' announcers say EJ is not electric, that he has no speed to stretch defenses. Other people would know better, does he have electric pace?
    22' good header on to MCB who scuffs the pass to onrushing player.
    24' minute bullard almost springs EJ.
    24' does well to hold up ball from keller. backpass to andreason lost
    29' loses ball at his feet, comically bad.
    29' gets ball at the top of the box, comically sends the ball back past one fulham player,
    murphy does well to win it back.
    33' wins long ball, then loses it, goes out of bounds to fulham. 'lot to handle, the American.'
    41' murphy lazy at midfield loses ball, attack dangerous by everton
    40' chest, hold up, tapped centrally to bullard.
    42' EJ header to Andreason, Andreason slow to react
    42' murphy loses ball for 4th time in the middle attacking 3rd.
    45' EJ header, to MCB back to EJ, he holds ball at right. does something with his feet, then moves ball back up the box and then crosses low, Everton clears easily and starts counter attack.

Conclusion:

Andreason is a natural Dmid, he is not a winger. He can get forward, but he is suited better on the defensive side of the ball. Hogs should pull him back. Murphy is not a dmid. I would like to see him removed for Dempsey.

EJ was just kind of non-effective with some comical moments on the ball. Defenders did have to watch his runs.

My MOTM: Konchesky. He kept a lot of attacks alive, controlled his side of the field and showed a lot of composure out there.