5 YA: Fulham vs. Everton, 3/16 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by mattygp, Mar 14, 2008.

1. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I'm watching Match of the Day 2 (BBC...another torrent download), and with the replays they've shown of the Fulham goal it took a deflection off of Yobo's head (the first Everton defender) without a doubt. Without that deflection, Everton #16 (the second defender.....couldn't quite make out his name) looked certain to clear it.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I read in a match report that at one point EJ went on a "long, jinking" run.

Is there a video clip of that moment?

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I don't know if this counts as a long, jinking run - but at one point EJ flew up the right side, got to the edge of the box, and made a move that actually landed Jagielka on his ass, as EJ blew by him. That was pretty freakin sweet.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I posted a MOTD video on the regular YA thread late last night/early this morning.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Hopefully Fulham can get 3 points at Newcastle this weekend. They should definitely be able to get 3 points at Derby. I'm predicting EJ's first goal to come in the next 2 weeks. No doubt his pace will cause problems for the Derby defense.

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    could it maybe, just possibly be the

Barclays Premier League

7. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I never missed an episode of Chuck.

When she was on, I made sure to watch both episodes multiple times.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I once talked to her dad, Danny, about a WWII related project he was embarking on.

He was there with his wife Heather Medway, who back in mid-80's was a top "spokesmodel" on Star Search.

The two of them did that "Viper" show together - Danny created and Ex-P'd it and Heather was the female lead.

I tried talking Danny into buying rights to a "Forgotten Soldier" but he wanted a US based book. It ended up being the "Medal of honor - Rising Sun" video game.

Ah but now Bruce S. is right. I am really name-dropping.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all there for Fulham to escape relegation. Games against Newcastle, Derby, Reading, Birmingham. I'm thinking 32 points may get the job done this year.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its almost like someone made a post of this refering to this exact moment about a month ago. What a crazy bastard he was, deffinely off his tuffet :D

11. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it just you that insists on using those initials, or is that something from US television??

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

It's your side of the pond that this comes from - most of us Yanks are stuck in EPL mode - I finally learned to refer to it as just the PL when they changed it again.

13. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I still call it the EPL...I was just saying why that other poster may have called it the BPL

14. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
    I have better highlights up of the game taken from MOTD and also an interview with McBride taken from after the game for those who are interested: http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Yeah, it's crazy. All of a sudden all these sportscasters in the US decided - let's call it Barclay's Premier League. That will be loads of fun and Barclays is such a household word over here in the States, everyone will really chuckle. And then next thing you know, they made a crest and a graphic and everything and then it even caught on IN BRITAIN herself! It's like a viral video, only having to do with the sponsorship of a football league! Wow, huh? Or maybe even WoW MoM WoW! Next thing you know they'll name a Chips Shop or a Bank with the same name! How about that!

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh, I meant to add - the idea that Dempsey is a better or more influential player than Bullard is insane. And I like Dempsey.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i motion for the radical prospect of putting Bullard AND Dempsey in the middle and seeing how them apples work out :cool:

18. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I was anxious to see the two of them in the middle also- but you would need to go with a 4-5-1 because neither would win the ball back..
    Dempsey's dip in form did start when Bullard came back- maybe there is something to it- maybe not.. He was the man setting up most of their chances- but now that's Bullard's job.
    The problem with Clint is that he doesn't play one position exceptionally well.. He doesn't really fit into a 4-4-2.. He best used in a 4-4-1-1.. Fulham lack speed and true wingers who can cross the ball. They look much better with 2 strikers, but McBride is less effective without someone to cross the ball in (Davies is just a little too slow for my liking- but he's the best they've got)..

19. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Given that their RB has largely been Baird, and they have Volz available, maybe they can move to a 3-5-2? Get McBride and Johnson up top, have Bullard and Dempsey clogging the middle simply by being there, with Andreasen shielding the back, and have Konchesky and Volz (or Davies for one of those) wide - both have the defensive skills and can also huge the by-line more. Leave Boca, Hangelund, and Hughes at the back. It's vulnerable if a team breaks on them while a wing back is pushed up, but it might allow more creativity around the box, and if they do go up a goal, it can easily morph into a more defensive set-up by switching out Dempsey for Murphy or someone similar...