5 top wnt players accuse ussf of wage discrimination

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Mar 31, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc repped this.
  2. ziggy1010

ziggy1010 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Keeping it "very" internal quite a change from Today show, 60 minutes, etc, etc

puttputtfc and Semblance17 repped this.
  3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Tannenwald‏@thegoalkeeper Jan 15
    Spent some time talking with Carli Lloyd just now. She noted that she has stepped back from the bargaining leadership group.

lil_one and sitruc repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Lloyd article:

"We just want a fair deal," Lloyd said. "There's things the men have such as bonuses and other things that we think should be the same. There's other things that we think should be different. There's other things that you really can't compare, because this is our primary source of income, and for the men, it's sort of an added bonus for them. The clubs are their main source of income."

What are those "other things"? Lloyd specifically mentioned "equal playing surfaces - if the men are not playing on turf, we don't want to play on turf - per diems, bonuses, that type of stuff."

Another subject that has long been on the list is travel accommodations, specifically when it comes to air travel between games. The players have asked for fewer flights in coach class, and more in business class or by charter.

"I think the whole 'equal pay' thing kind of got a little misinterpreted," Lloyd said.

That quote might raise the ire of fans who'd claim they didn't misinterpret anything. After all, much of the saga last year played out in public, from social media to national TV shows and major newspaper front pages.

But in the last few weeks, there has been a definite change in tone. It's likely no coincidence that happened after the players union got rid of lawyer Rich Nichols, who took some hardline stances against U.S. Soccer in public and in court. His rhetoric brought a lot of big headlines, but that didn't help get a deal done.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/410835785.html

Namdynamo and Gamecock14 repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Oh, how rich!

6. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Hope she doesn't pull a hammy backpedalling that hard

RUfan repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why are they so much more rational now?

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #909 Yoshou, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    New lawyer.. Solo is no longer at the table... EEOC and NRLB are likely going to see a more corporate friendly swing due to the election, etc

Gamecock14 repped this.
  9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I love how they still downplay they get a salary. I say give the whiny outfits what they want, use percentages of revenue and distribute it exactly the same. So salary gone, ungrateful things, how do you like equality now? All the riders concerning per diem, travel, and playing surfaces ought to be exactly as the men.

As to pitch quality, Saprissa (was carpeted concrete), Antigua and Barbuda (cricket pitch played on during typhoon conditions and the center circle was a pond. The men play oon some shite surfaces too.

If I ever look up overplayed hand, there should be a note See USWNT post 2015 WC.

You cannot legislate interest in a game. Until WOSO puts the same amount of butts in seats and gets a TV provider willing to air their games, women will make less than men. There is very very little consumer interest in their game other than international football.

repin1836 and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thing is about international football....

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guardian article on the CBA negotiations and possible effect on NWSL: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...onal-team-soccer-pay-dispute?CMP=share_btn_tw

I find it interesting that the players involved in the negotiation have almost completely changed. Not only is the lawyer gone, as well as Solo, but Lloyd, Rapinoe, and Morgan have all stepped away from the negotiating table. Now the player representatives are Sauerbrunn, Press, and Klingenberg. I think that change probably plays a big role into why the tone has changed.

Namdynamo, Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Who wrote that garbage? What does he know about women's soccer in the US?:p

jackdoggy, Beau Dure and lil_one repped this.
  13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder why the other players left the player representatives role?

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can make some guesses:
    Solo: obvious as she was terminated
    Morgan: signed with OL and is now is in France during the negotiations
    Lloyd: she basically said she had too much on her plate with her wedding and other duties (and she's admitted in the past to hating the "politics" of the WNT).
    Rapinoe: no idea; maybe she wasn't asked? (see below)

I hadn't read the above Philly article (post #905) until just now, but it does mention that the new representatives were a part of "rebuilding" the WNTPA:

Gamecock14 repped this.
  15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The emails that were filed in the USSF lawsuit a year ago had all cc. Sauerbrunn, Lloyd, Stevens (Solo), Rapinoe, and Morgan.

Solo was thought most associated with lawyer Rich Nichols who is also gone. Maybe the ones who advocated his approach are those off the new list?

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Maybe the players realized that salary and job security were more important to them.

17. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    More likely that it was all a ploy to get public sympathy and a better deal. They knew what they wanted all along.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I hope the player pool is opened up. No reason to roll out a declining Rapinoe when Pugh and Ohai are on the upswing and so much younger.

19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I get that, but the money problem is due to trying to build a domestic league. The salary situation pre-dates the domestic league. If they want the same deal as the men, then the first thing they need to do is give up guaranteed salaries. Until that happens then there is no meaningful comparison between the two.

Security has a value not easily quantified. They purposefully downplay the significance of having their club salaries supplemented and a contractual spot on the roster. If it has no value, then surrender it as a sign of good faith and require/demand the same percentage of Fifa revenues as the men. All fair then right?

20. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Do we really have to do this all over again?

chungachanga and Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Anything new on this?

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Since Solo got round filed and some of the other vocal players got sidelined things have been a lot quieter.

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we have to accept there will be nothing new/off the cuff player comments/interviews, etc. until there is official news.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    These people only want to talk in carefully orchestrated interviews.

bigredfutbol and Gamecock14 repped this.