5 Soccer Heroes

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by cpwilson80, Aug 23, 2002.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking to my sister the other day and she was telling me how John Doyle was helping out with her club team. Now, this may be standard practice elsewhere, but I NEVER had the chance to talk soccer with some of my old favorites. So, chilling at work here, I was thinking of the 5 players I would most like to meet and chat about some soccer (the 'people to dinner' thing is trite ;) )

My 5:
    1. Claudio Reyna - my favorite player ever, the guy I always wanted to be like when I was playing...so I'm only 7 years younger than him, he was the coolest. I'd love to talk with him about the change from '94 to '98 to today.

2. Wade Barrett - San Jose hero. Went from my Clash cult favorite to national team pool player. The guy with whom you could chill out at the bar with all your buddies.

3. Roberto Baggio - Italian hero...I can't see cheering another Azzurri member the same way.

4. Eric Cantona - Man U hero. I was wearing his shirt back in '96 when my family went to Epcot Center, and all the people in the French cafe started cheering "Ooh, Ahh Cantona!" You really can't beat that.

5. Andri Shevchenko - Milan hero. Yes, van Basten, Baresi and Maldini are all up there, but Sheva was my boy from the Kiev days. Plus, I've seen Milan play 4 times over the past two years, so there is the added bonus of seeing him in person (something, unfortunately, never happened with Baggio and Cantona.)

2. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Herose

My 5 HEROS

1. Luis Hernandez (La Galaxy / America) showed me to never give up and to always try my hardest and in soccer thats not that easy..

2.Cuauhtemoc Blanco (America) Made me see the fun side of soccer and to always be spectacular and to be good at playing it.

3.Jared Borgetti (Santos) Showed me that if you stay cool and calm miracles can happend on the field i learned to never loose my coolness with him.

4. Fransico Palencia (Cruz Azul) Showed me that to always try harder then the next person and to like it

5.Christian Veri (Inter) He showed me the skill of determination

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Pablo Mastroeni for teaching me not to punch jackasses like Cuauhtemoc Blanco when he's threatening a man with a yellow card.

2. Ryan Giggs because he's awesome and doesn't seem to have a big ego.

3. Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer because he isn't a whiner and scores tons of goals off the bench, the ultimate team player.

4. Landon Donovan because he's from America and will destroy the world in Germany 2006

5. Pele - how can you not love the man? Goals goals and more goals. Plus he give the USA respect.

4. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Gerd Müller – 365 goals in 427 club matches. 68 goals in 62 national team matches. Still holds Golden Boot record in BL, 40 goals in one season. Still holds record for total goals scored in WC, 14 (two tournaments). Won everything possible in the sport. Hardest shot ever.

Ruud Krol – A most tenacious defender that could not be out-dribbled. No one could beat this guy. Composed, precise, effective.

Ferenc Puskas – Perhaps the best player ever. Couldn’t play for two years and came back at the age of 31 not having lost any of his skill and deadliness—perhaps being even better. 35 goals in 39 European matches for Real Madrid (on top of all his other achievements).

Sir Stanley Matthews – Played professionally until he was 50, and was damn good at it all the time. European Player of the Year at age 41(!!!). Never received a single booking.

Zico Over 100 goals in his first two seasons of club play. A scoring midfielder if there ever was one: 650 career goals.

Müller, Krol, and Zico I saw play (not in person), so it was easy to pick them. They were the best in their positions while they were active. Puskas and Matthews I didn’t see play, but they fascinate me as human beings, not just as players.

5. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Peter Schmeichel- Showing me how a tall keeper should own a game.

Kasey Keller- showing me how to become more calm as a young keeper.

Brad Friedel- For the awesome reflex saves.

Eddie Pope- Even after injuries, never gives up

Roy Keane- For his viciousness, his leadership, but definitley not his mouth.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Brian McBride- For proving me wrong that he can finish during crunch time.

Claudio Reyna- He proved to me that he was not Ewing in disguise.

Tab Ramos- One of the founders of MLS. What would have happened if he played for Uruguay?

Eric Wynalda- All-time leading scorer for US. Enough said.

Clint Mathis- When he came to the Metrostars, I thought he would be worthless. Now he's one of the best in the country.

7. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 5

1. Roy Keane - tough and tenacious
    2. Bixente Lizarazu - I just admire his playing style
    3. Claudio Reyna - Always appreciated him
    4. David Beckham - so pretty (his crosses and free-kicks)
    5. Marcel Desailly, circa 1998. He was just unbeatable. Defenders who are that good in the air frustrate me to no end.

8. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Ronaldo - The guy plays with flare, real style. Watching clips of him dribbling with a circle of literally four defenders marking him and seeing him make them all fools is stunning. He always knows exactly where to move next to keep all of his opponents off balance.

Eric Wynalda - I wonder if he had been in his prime for this 2002 team what it would have been like. I'd probably meet Eric Wynalda if I could meet anyone.

Kahn - He's got that "I"m a bad ass" look about him. He's just plain scary.

Carlos Valderrama - When I was little I thought his hair was great and I wanted mine just like it. Now I watch him because his passes are dead on the money, and he's got great vision.

Pablo Mastroeni - He can definitely keep calm under pressure. It was great of him not to do anything back to Blanco, who deserved to have his teeth knocked down his throat that day.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I’m not big on the term “Hero” for someone who gets paid for playing a sport but the players I looked up to were:-

Billy Liddell Liverpool was known as ‘Liddellpool’ in his playing days.

Sir Stanley Mathews Saw him play Liverpool at Stoke City when he was in his late forties and he was still great then.

DiStefano and Puskas in their Real Madrid days.

and

Pele He may not be the brightest off the field but on it he was magic…!

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Edgar Davids - a friggin' bulldog. Eats any of the heroes named above alive. That's why I like him and hope he'll return to Ajax one day.

Frank Rijkaard - One of the greatest players of these times. A true club man too. Something you don't see a lot these days.

Marco van Basten - No comment needed.

Johan Cruyff - for being right and showing so.

Stefan Petterson - my Ajax youth idol

Jari Litmanen - great footballer whom I wish all the best. Couldn't leave him out of this.

11. neroazzurri9

neroazzurri9 New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    I will only put one

Angelo Di Livio - for signing with Fiorentina 1926

12. NawlinsFats

NawlinsFats New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was born in 1974. This is favorite, not best.
    1. John Harkes - first great modern American
    2. Eric Wynalda - goal versus T&T
    3. Marco Van Basten - goal versus USSR
    4. Paulo Maldini - great defender.
    5. Mark Jonas - best player I played against.

13. alansl

alansl New Member

Aug 20, 2000
    I'm afraid I only have three:

1. Paolo Di Canio: for his originality, flair, and that time he caught the ball to stop play when the opposing keeper was down injured outside the box, instead of shooting on the open net.

2. Andres D'Allesandro: it excites me to watch him play. I hope he doesn't lose that flair when he goes to Europe. I think he could be the first great player that I'll have the privilege of watching from near the beginning of his career in my short history as a fan.

3. Clint Mathis: I don't know what it is. He just seems a bit special. Like when he wore the famously plain "I Love NY" undershirt for when he scored after he was traded to the Metros. I thought that was a great thing to do for the fans.

alansl

14. Tommo-Tommo

Tommo-Tommo New Member

For me these are the players who I liked to watch

George Best - So fun to watch

Carlos Alberto - A joyous player

Roberto Baggio - Italia 90 against the Czechs

Michel Platini

Ruud Gullit - In full dreadlocked glory before the knee surgeries

15. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    How come no-one has mentioned Zidane the most magical feet ever.

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    ever?
    garrincha had the most magical feet ever

17. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Was he that german that could juggle wet soap with his feet.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    1. Diego Maradonna - Winning a world cup almost all by himself. Even if he hadn't played another game after WC 86 he would still be my nr. 1

2. Johan Cruijff - Onfield maestro, of the field still a great personality, one of the very few to reach the top both as coach and player, still a fun guy to listen to as a tv Pundit.

3. George Best - Living proof that you can have a dodgy lifestyle and still be the best, first real glamour boy of football, but will always be remember for his of and on the field antics

4. Marco Van Basten - Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - According to his father, this maestro could already put a ball in his neck at the age of 2 and a half. Always destined for greatness, and always delivering when it was most needed

5. Mathias "The Paper Man" Sindelar - One of the most naturaly gifted players ever, the Austrian was nicknamed the paper male, because of his frelety and his gracefull way of playing the game. A player who shouldn't be forgotten.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Garrincha German???????? One of the greatest injustice in the football world is that a lot of people don't know who he is, but he had as much to do with Brazil winning it's first world cup in 1958 as did the young pele. Before both of them were added in the team during the tournament, Brazil's play had be under par, but with the addition of the two maestros they destroyed the rest of the opposition.
    We all know what happened with pele after that, crowned 'king football', but garrincha died a lonely death in the early eighties if i remember well...

20. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    I'm sorry I never heard of him by the sounds of it sounds like hes was good. Could someone post a link of where I could find more about him.The player I was thinking of is Ferenec Puskas who apparentley used to juggle the soap in the shower.

21. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Try this: http://www.givemefootball.com/html/wc_11_garrincha.stm

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    garrincha was the main man in 62
    he carried brazil to victory

23. DMTwigg

DMTwigg New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    San Clemente, CA
    My 3 kings...

Bobby Charlton - Even as a ManU hater, I love this guy. The man has done it all. Euro champ, WC champ, and if I'm not mistaken, survived the plane crash of '58 and rebuilding era that followed. Played with and against the absolute best.

George Best - Magic. The greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest off-the pitch personalities. A shame he didn't have the supporting cast at the int'l level.

Graeme Souness - My favorite player as a kid. I wanted to be just like him. A balance of nails and skill, a world class captain.

There are so many more that I would love to sit down with - Stoichkov, Bobby Moore, Malcolm McDonald, Gazza, Puskas...