4v4 vs 7v7 for U8/U9 group

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Aug 3, 2017.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm training a combined U8/U9 group this year. Normally U8s would be playing 5v5 (with a GK) but the state assoc is making us play 7v7. I think 7v7 is too big a format.

What do you coaches think the final phase of training should be? Should we finish sessions in an age appropriate 4v4? Or give a nod toward reality and finish 7v7? If we finish with 7v7, I plan to do 4v4 right before 7v7. I have the numbers to do the full 7v7.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think you have to do both. If the league mandates 7 v 7, not a whole lot you can about that, but you do have the responsibility to prepare your kids for what the game is going to look like. Get too many kids out there who don't where they should be on a 7 - sided team and eventually you'll invite parental questioning, and that's just a road you don't have to go down.

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You numbers should reflect your coaching objectives. Even if team tactics is not a coaching objective for this team, I would spend a little time in the full side before the first match to 1) teach the system I want to use and 2) give the players the context to fit the SSGs into. This prepares them for the first match, reducing confusion and stress.

If you have enough contact time, I would give them a little unrestricted 7v7 scrimmage at the end of practice for fun, which they will look forward to. One important point for the end exercise, I would adjust the numbers so everyone participated. I think it is important that no one is sitting out if they are healthy. I see this as fun time and an incentive, not as efficient use of training time. It is an investment in developing the mentality you want to see.

4. Foundation Age Coaching

Aston Villa
    England
    Nov 27, 2017
    Coaching in NC, our U8 players play once every other weekend with 7v7. I have found that spending the majority of sessions with a SSG to finish (3v3 or 4v4), with a 30 min team shape scrimmage (7v7 or 6v6 with no GK depending on attendance) gave enough benefit for the players to improve their technique, learn the core skills of movement and decision-making and provide enough exposure to 7v7 without losing time on the ball. At first it was rough, but by the end of the spring season (6 months later) they had a great understanding of team shape as well as knowing when and where to look for combinations (1-2's and overlaps) when and how to shield the ball, when and how to beat a player 1 v 1 and how to finish effectively.