4th turns into AR

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Rufusabc, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Carling Cup Match between Chelsea and Liverpool on Wednesday. Lot's of traffic going to the evening match, and the fourth official calls ahead to say he is going to be really late. The League then gets a local (non Premier League official) to stand by as the fourth in case the real fourth doesnt arrive. He makes it with seconds to spare, BUT, one of the AR's comes up lame at the coin toss! And the 4th is pressed into duty as an AR. And the local ref becomes the 4th.

My question: What would have happened if the fourth hadn't arrived and the local fourth was pressed into service? And do AR's at the highest levels in English Football ever progress to the center? If so, when do they make the progression?

By the way, the game as always was rough and tumble and the local fourth had his hands full of the Liverpool manager during a sending off.

2. falcon.7

falcon.7 New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    If you take a quick look at bios of most of the current Premier League referees, you'll find that nearly all of them were Premier League/League One ARs for at least one, usually 2 or 3, years before being given whistles. It gives them a chance to gain experience at the higher levels.

Except for FIFA-sanctioned matches, I don't think there is a hands-down requirement for someone to be a certain level to do a match. I'm sure that the FA wouldn't exactly have been comfortable with a non-Premier League referee doing a game, but if you have no choice, you have to go with it.

You have to wonder how the local guy felt about the whole thing. He gets a phone call telling him to pack his things for Liverpool-Chelsea cup match, ends up being a 4th and has to put everything he learned together at once to deal with a coach...good stuff :).

dadman repped this.
  3. campton

campton New Member

May 1, 2007
    Chi-city
    All i know is that said referee must have been the most excited and nervous person in the world at that moment.
    Thats quite an opporitunity.

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  4. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    To be fair, the 'local fourth', is Jarnail Singh, a FL referee of about 3 or 4 seasons experience, who regularly does 4O jobs on the PL, including Chelski (because of his proximity to Stamford Bridge - he's Middlesex FA).

As for Peter Walton, it was funny to see him run the line, given he hasn't done it for several years. His technique certainly left a lot to be desired. :D Had he not made it in time, Singh would have taken over from Paul Norman, and they'd have had to get a qualified referee from the stands to do 4O until Walton arrived.

And as for the question about whether top ARs make the progression, most do. Phil Sharp is an obvious exception, who by his own admission, considers himself a better AR than referee, and has officiated on about every major game in world football, but never gone higher than a L3 referee. Glenn Turner is a similar example. However, a lot of the younger referees progress. Gavin Ward and Roger East were both FIFA ARs, but are now L1 referees, regularly refereeing FL games. Given their respective ages, they could make the SG in a few years time. Matt Messias was a FIFA AR who progressed to the SG, but got dropped after a supposed mistake and ultimately resigned. The promotion ladder dictates that all referees you see in the PL or FL have had to serve some time as an AR on the FL, PL or FIFA list.

5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I knew the Englishref would know the answer to the question....thanks.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman, tomek75, SccrDon and 3 others repped this.
  7. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome. I'm sure that he will remember this for the rest of his life.

On another note, I know exactly how that AR feels. I had a similar incident happen to me this year on camera, except it was the other leg. I wanted to put a serious hurt on the camera man that was right in my face during the walk across the field.

Law5 repped this.
  8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    once again I apparently missed my chance...sigh

REFEREE GETS INJURED IN BELGIAN CUP MATCH, GETS REPLACED BY GUY FROM THE CROWD. LUC BOSMANS GOT THE CHANCE TO BE LINESMAN IN A MATCH WITH 2 CLUBS OF THE BELGIAN FIRST DIVISION. HE DID NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKES AND EVEN STEPPED IN TO CALM THE PLAYERS IN SOME INCIDENTS
    DECEMBER 1, 2017

https://www.matchdayfootball.com/re...lgian-first-division-he-did-not-make-any-mis/

9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I also made no mistakes during that match, without having to leave the comfort of my couch!

Seriously, that would be quite a thrill. The beer after that game would taste like nectar.

dadman and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  10. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Loved the pictures of him out during a confrontation. Wonder what he was saying, me I'd be like "come on guys, my wife and my whole family are watching from the cheap seats and it's the only damn time I'm ever gonna be on this field, help me out here..." LOL

msilverstein47, dadman, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.