News: 40 Man Provisional Roster For The 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 20, 2019.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen him play consistently? I’m curious if people have actually seen him play consistently and still think he is good.

2. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God damn this place is a cespool

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think it’s funny that our new coach decided to do one semi-creative thing tactically in his first Camp Cupcake — using a faux right back that became an extra midfielder offensively, basically just a simple Guardiola variance, a lot of you think that’s his entire coaching philosophy, a right back that becomes a midfielder offensively.

As if none of you have been around for one or two or five World Cup cycles.

You guys do realize it is 42 months until Qatar.

gogorath, Lance90, wsmaugham and 4 others repped this.
  4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Except that he did the experiment with LIMA, Lima did well and then did not proceed to continue to use Lima in that role when Bradley was around, so he can put Adams there.

Garber and Arena run this team and Berhalter is there lap-dog. Give me evidence to the contrary.

Not even having Morales or canouse in the final 40, is insane.

Morales gets minutes in a top-10 Bundesliga side.

nowherenova and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #130 Rahbiefowlah, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    I mean it’s been a nice little experiment with the right back thing for like 4 games. Are you mad that Berhalter has ideas?

Bro Don Garber doesn’t give a shit about this roster or any roster. Don Garber is trying to convince more billionaires to get in bed with a bunch of other billionaires who are making a long term investment together. It’s all gravy, the Mexican team, the US team, the ICC, all of it. The Copa Americas to come. The World Cup. All gravy. Expansion fees, tv money, sponsorships. He doesn’t care about defensive midfielders that play for Düsseldorf. Get over yourself.

Some of you guys have never sat through a Mutiny-Clash game or lived through 100 Jeff Agoos caps and it shows.

gogorath, olephill2, napper and 13 others repped this.
  6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See guys? It's not a big deal!

At least it's not Jeff Agoos or the Tampa Bay Mutiny vs. San Jose Clash!

Yikes.

The Garber stuff's probably a little overblown, but GGG isn't really looking great with this roster. Obvious head-scratchers, both ways.

majspike, btlove, RalleeMonkey and 2 others repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seriously need to seek mental health treatment. I'm not being facetious, nor looking to be humorous. Go see a mental health professional and follow their guidance. Please, before you hurt yourself or someone else.

8. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    I was being facetious. Adams should play there, I wish Berhalter would stop messing with his development into the international game. Use a worker bee like Lima for the pet RB role, not a top central mid prospect (globally we might even say)

Bradley should have stepped aside but he tripped over his ego on the way out and we’re stuck with him.

Deadtigers, tomásbernal and Patrick167 repped this.
  10. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Finally, we get some USSF/Berhalter supporters to respond to criticism and occasional hyperbole with reasoned, cogent arguments...

just kidding, they talk about mental health and leaving the thread.

Ahhhh, refreshing!

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Jackson Yueill a little more so, but given the dogfight at the position its more understandable. Hopefully camp cupcake for them. Also a bit disappointed in no Pomykal.

Gyau is an interesting shout, hope he gets picked up by a BL2 team witha good showing.

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Tomasbernal is a rationale poster - even if we disagree, he lays out his thoughts and isn’t dogmatic.

When he (and other rationale posters) offer a perspective that’s different from mine (which is not unusual), I reflect pretty hard upon the point.

Wrt this specific issue, I don’t think #1F&A needs a mental health checkup - he’s probably young and enjoys making hyperbolic statements on an anonymous forum.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    So, we'll probably get more Lovitz, Baird and Omar?

Canouse apparently can't buy a call up.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    THis roster can win the Gold Cup. People freaking out about a whole bunch of names that'll be cut down when the final roster is announced.

What I would say is that if folks are worried about the state of our player pool, they should really be focusing on our U20 team that's at the world cup. Games start this week. There's a lot of talent on the way to fill a lot of the holes in the Gold Cup group.

When you add Weah (PSG) and Soto (Hannover) and de la Fuente (Barcelona) and Llanez (Wolfsburg) and Ledesma (PSV) and Mendez (Freiburg) and Richards (Bayern Munich) and Dest (Ajax) and Gloster (Hannover) and Scott (Koln), and on and on....................you come away with a warmer feeling about the future.

Add Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Amon and company from this Gold Cup.....................and our U23 team looks STACKED.

Everybody just needs to come off the ledge. Things are fine.

These boards can be totally schizo. Folks talk endlessly about how much of a Mickey Mouse tournament the Gold Cup is. Then when our coach experiments with tactics or player selection for the event, people freak the hell out.

Eeeefus! THIS is the time in a cycle when a coach gets to experiment with player selection and tactics. Give Berhalter the freedom to do whatever the hell he wants.

gogorath, adi21, Lance90 and 9 others repped this.
  15. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm positive about the future, but besides Weah none of these guys are 1st teamers. Next year is almost a make or break year when it comes to development for all of those players listed, especially the attackers.

Deadtigers and Magikfute repped this.
  16. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been critical of some of Gregg's choices but this is beyond harsh. Gregg's worst crime is benching a good right back so he can try out a hybrid position with one of our best players (who can play right back well) and in the process allow a sometime EPL starter to play the only version of left back that he can play. One could also fault him for not calling in a slow forward who's scored a few goals in Holland and failed to call in quality German Americans with questionable loyalty to the team. His team's play organized ball and they have so far won at a decent rate. Klinsman called in an unproven kid over the greatest goal scorer we've ever had for the World Cup. Klinsman repeatedly played defensive midfielders in attacking wing positions, Klinsman repeatedly called in players from the Mexican league who clearly did not perform or work in our set up as some odd type of effort to increase hispanic team representation and possibly fanbase. Because of the above, Klinsman's teams played unorganized and defaulted to the most defensive teams we've seen in the modern era.

Deadtigers, lmorin, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.
  17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I ask is that the guys who have already demonstrated in GreggB's previous camps that they are not yet of international quality will not be relied on in this tournament.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's a big ask.

Lookingforleftbacks and CyphaPSU repped this.
  19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence, it is the only thing I ask for.

Lookingforleftbacks and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Agreed, looking forward to the "MB at defensive midfielder" experiment.

Deadtigers, btlove and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who do you think has demonstrated international quality?

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Respectfully, I think the biggest issue is if the coach is making structural preferences that hurt the team.

It sure appears that we are devaluing Big 4 players at the expense of MLS/ B2/ Championship level players and have a bias against English-as-a-Second-Language dual-Americans who weren’t raised in the US.

Arena did this and it cost us and now it appears the pattern continues. This is not a nothing-burger in my mind.

nowherenova repped this.
  23. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe, Roldan, Bradley, Omar? Laughable.

With the exception of Pulisic and Lletget, that’s the most toothless MF pool in the final 1/3 that I’ve ever seen.

We will go out in the Semis.

soccerusa517 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seriously, people need to calm down until the see the ACTUAL Gold Cup roster.
    This is the 40 man provisional roster. The guys you're all whining about will likely be cut.

Seriously #2. Gregg Berhalter is undefeated as USMNT coach.

We're in the honeymoon phase. Give him the opportunity to do whatever the hell he wants. Give him the freedom to fail at this point in a cycle. Jeeeesh. Do we really have to freak out about every player selected on a provisional 40 man roster for the Gold Cup?

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The 40 man roster is only useful to show who Berhalter doesn’t rate at all. That issue is worth discussing but I agree that simply making the list doesn’t indicate much.

deejay repped this.