News: 40 Man Provisional Roster For The 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 20, 2019.

1. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    The future is US.

[​IMG]

tbonepat11, OWN(yewu)ED, btlove and 2 others repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, that's not Andrew Gutman!

wixson7, skim172 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    The Kiwis haven’t played a game in almost two years so probably not a hard battle.

4. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    20 more caps, how long does that take? through early 2020?

5. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    What an uninspiring group of included vets

RevsRule, Namdynamo, TxEx and 4 others repped this.
  6. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    No Novakovic is the roughest one for me personally.

tbonepat11, Paul Calixte, STR1 and 5 others repped this.
  7. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    [​IMG]

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont care about gks other than steffen and horvath. at all. id like to get horvath a few games, but steffen is going to get every match for his work permit caps.

the irony being that steffen is going off to loan limbo where he may not even play- and the bulk of horvaths games came he was out of form/not playing for his club team. so its very easy to see average ass sean johnson as our default first team keeper in qualifying.

would ANYONE be surprised by that? steffen? not playing.horvath? not enough experience with the nats, better go with a low ceiling, "proven" mls player...

i dont think there are any glaring omissions. brooks and yedlin are injured, and yedlin doesnt fit berhalters stupid ass system anyways. theyre the only two remotely close to a first team 11.

the hand-wringing over gutman or gyau or whichever "surprise inclusion" is unnecassary, 13 of these guys arent going to be in the discussion two weeks from now.

theres bigger things to worry about. we have a 20 year old dmid who is thriving in the bundisliga whos gonna play rb (to accomodate michael freaking bradley), while our best player (and in adams' defense the two are arguably 1 and 1a) is being played centrally rather than on the wing. cause berhalter (and a bunch of you dummies, too) thinks he knows more than every champions league level coach pulisic has ever had.

our only promising lb doesnt fit the system so we get tim ream. nor does bello if he pans out, cannon, dest on the right...doesnt matter. we accomodate bradley/trapp and waste adams as a gimmicky rb, ream and heir apparent daniel lovitz on the left.

and before anyone chimes in with "adams looked ok there..." yeah, of course he did. we only have maybe a handful of players even CLOSE his quality. im sure pulisic would be our best left back- you wanna do that just cause you can?

while arriola is solid backing up/rotating with pulisic/weah on the wings, its a very different situation when hes by far the most proven wing on this roster.

and im supposed to get fired up arguing over baird or gyau? seriously?

until berhalter gets his head out of his ass and scraps this nonsense system absolutely none of these fringe battles matter at all. we arent close to what should be the absolute floor for us.

9. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he’s not going to be selected....Why not carry 4 LBs and reward a guy like Wooten?

Deadtigers and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Head out of his ass? I think Berhalter knows more than you. His system requires maximizing Adams' potential as a right back. It's all about the system. Get the system right and gawd willing, we can use the exact same players as 2017 but qualify out of mighty concacaf this time! Bradley is the best DM we have (actually an 8 but whatever). Nobody wants to step up and challenge him (except adams but again, he's needed as an influential right back).

He's playing chess while you're playing checkers. Reminds me of when I play chess and immediately put my queen in the very right corner behind 3 pawns. Best spots for her and Adams.

11. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic, largely because I'm very bad at chess and can't tell if this is a negative thing.

Deadtigers, Dander, btlove and 1 other person repped this.
  12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Ask Berhalter, he'll know.

Deadtigers and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am surprised Hamid was not in the 40 ...

I am also surprised Birnbaum is not in the 40 ....

happy that Ariola made it ....

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fully agree with you

hopefully at some point GB will publicly state his rationale ...

Morris and Bradley?

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'd say Guzan, Gonzalez, and Nagbe are question marks. Berhalter is clearly signalling (IMO) that Steffen is the starter; so will Guzan be willing to sit the bench?

I'm skeptical about Gonzalez unless Berhalter takes a 5th center back. Miazga and Long are likely locks, and Ream is a good fit for THE SYSTEM. That leaves Zimmerman and Gonzalez for the 4th spot.

Nagbe... we still don't know how Berhalter views him. I would say the 2 players he is competing with for a spot are Roldan and Lletget.

16. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Miller proves that all you have to do is be a keeper on a good MLS team and you can get a national team call.

It makes me wonder if Bingham would’ve gotten a call if the Galaxy hadn’t gone down the toilet the last few weeks. He’s not good either.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    He will say Jordan Morris brings something different with how dynamic and fast he is and Bradley’s experience is invaluable to the group. Done. And none of the cream puff reporters will be willing to say with all due respect do you GB at least recognize they are not in form.

P.s. Bradley actually is in form now, this is just as good as it gets from him at this point.

Deadtigers and Patrick167 repped this.
  18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #118 rgli13, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    remember when bradley was in breathtaking form- scoring a brace in week one against fabian (who doesnt even CONSIDER playing defense)? rolling back the hands of time!

clearly hes the form player in the pool. and i mean, i havent even mentioned the assist he has this season...

Lookingforleftbacks and yurch10 repped this.
  19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Silly kids...we all know he's not there to score/assist or play defense. He's there to provide leadership, hit them long diagonals (not for assists, though), and CIRCULATE the ball!

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miller put up a solid xg saved # each of his first two seasons starting. It's the same this year's as Bingham, and was far better last year. Plus he's a better distributor than comparables in the department like Jesse Gonzalez.

Other than Horvath, viable American gk's in Europe are pretty non-existent right now. So the game is pretty much to suss out which MLS keepers are the best prospects to make the transfer in the future. Miller is fairly toolsy and young enough. I like the choice, and would seriously consider awarding him that 3rd spot. It would have been him or Gonzalez for me. And it's more about the status it would give them considering they wouldn't play anyway.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you could do the same with the other guys

22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter is an idiot and maybe, just maybe, if we get the crap kicked out of us by better competition, he'll be smart enough to change what he's doing. He is worse than Klinsmann so far

yurch10 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, Bradley is looking a lot better than last season, but that's not enough to keep bringing him when we should be playing Adams there.

24. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a strong statement for one camp no?

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Picking Trapp/Bradley over Adams at DM already puts him in that category. Then we get to all the other crap....