News: 40 Man Provisional Roster For The 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 20, 2019.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why is Bradley here? This is the perfect opportunity to jettison him. It makes sense for Jozy, but not for Bradley.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    say what? rephrase.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's a skew, not a cutoff date. Guzan is the only goalie in the whole group over 30 so I don't see the issue.

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Lol, I didn't know Zusi played as an "underlapping RB."

But, with regard to Zusi, he had a good WC. Playing for a super low scoring team, he had 2 assists. Only 4 players in the tournament had more.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G-money appears to have a pretty lazy understanding of our player pool. He's also tied down to his favorites at the expense of superior players.

Not a good sign going forward.

I know he's with the U20s but I'd have Pomykal in this team. Top rated American attacker in MLS next to Jozy and a higher whoscored rating than the majority of this roster.

Also would like to see Mueller get a look over Baird and Gyau.

How the hell doesn't Wooten get a look? 17 goals in the 2Bund which is a similar level to what Jozy, Morris and Zardes play at. He's our hottest striker. And.....he actually has a nice touch.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Really? Morris had two good games. Toronto has been struggling last 5 games. I don't really see this as performance based roster. It's more.of the same favorites.

Deadtigers and bct81 repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that Wooten is not getting a look because at 29 and soon to be 30, he may be deemed, "too old" to introduce to the international game. His international shelf-life is limited. Of course the limited shelf-life could be said about Bradley, O. Gonzalez, and Guzan. The only difference being those guys are seasoned international albeit on their way out. I would have loved to have seen Wooten, though. His play has intrigued for a few years. But he's supposedly wanting to leave Germany so we might see him in MLS - -- fingers crossed.

8. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lichaj, Nova, EPB and Hyndman. I can only hope that these guys were asked and declined for whatever reason and just were not snubbed outright. As someone asked, who needs a 6'4" forward with good feet? It would be great to win the cup. It is very important to keep the conveyor belt moving. Bradley just comes to mind as someone who is off the far end of the belt. There are some others but I know you get my point.

9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    But, again, it exposes GB's statement that the goal is to win the GC as B.S.

Namdynamo, yurch10 and harttbeat repped this.
  10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The original remark was sarcastic.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I think the "too old"/"want to win NOW" excuses are just that, excuses...however, couldn't you argue that Wooten is a "young" 29? Hasn't he been injured more than healthy? Sure, that might also mean his body is broken down a bit, but he's also played way less matches than most int'l caliber 29 year olds, right?

Plus, as numerous others have mentioned, Bradley is there despite being in poor form, broken down physically, and really not a good player (by any measure, not just mine) for at least 2 years.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So we get Morris and Zardes but not Wooten or Novakovich?

Alrighty then.... Sigh.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disconcerting that Adams is listed as a defender.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Wooten, Johnson, Chandler, and Morales are too old to start getting looks at the beginning of a cycle. Sarachan should have given Morales some caps during his time in charge, not sure what happened there.

Yes, Bradley, Ream, Omar, Nagbe, Guzan are also too old but they have been called in. Yes, it makes no sense. We all know Bradley is basically a USSF insider; so that is why he is there. Not sure why Ream is involved and Omar's inclusion is truly baffling. Nagbe and Guzan are on this 40 man roster and we will see if they make the cut.

btlove, harttbeat and largegarlic repped this.
  15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ridiculous.

Winoman, btlove, Ghost and 1 other person repped this.
  16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I agree that they are too old. But as you illustrate, their exclusion has nothing to do with being "too old". If GB wants to "win now" as everyone says, then the "too old" excuse doesn't hold much weight.

I'm probably the foremost Bradley critic, but these other Lions from WC Failure 17 might even be more alarming. Yes, Bradley is an insider, and will be there through his record breaking cap. Fine. I don't like it, but it's clear. Omar, Ream, Nagbe, Guzan? My lord, why? This ain't even just "ok, we need MB's strong leadership", this is a complete bringing back the gang to re-run 2017. Who needs to see these guys succeed? Does someone need to see them win the GC to make up for previous failures? We already won the 17 gold cup!

17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree with almost all of this, but I will defend Ream's inclusion a little bit. Yes, he's over-30 and is guaranteed to make a one or two head-scratching mistakes per game that gift the opponent good opportunities, but if Berhalter wants the LB to stay home, tuck in a bit, and play almost like a 3rd CB when the US has possession, Ream fits that role pretty well.

I don't really know if A. Robinson is a LB in Berhalter's system, or if he would be more of a candidate for left winger. And then after him, it's not like we have any highly regarded younger LBs anyhow (at least none who've graduated from the youth USMNT rosters). That's why I've suggested before that we look more at mobile, younger CBs for that role, maybe M. Robinson or EPB.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    GB wants to win now and win in 2022. He will say both depending on what audience is listening. At this moment, they have to sell tickets to this thing and he is going to emphasize the GC. But the roster released today certainly has a lot of 2022 on it. Guys that he can work with in this one extended camp.

I understand where you are coming from. But do we really want FJohnson over ARobinson? Yes, over Lovitz and Ream of course. Do we want Morales over Adams? Yes, over Bradley would be a nice change. Do we want Chandler over Cannon? That Omar keeps showing up on rosters is an insult to the fans.

GB was right to leave these guys at home. He is mistaken to bring Omar, Bradley, and Ream and probably Nagbe. But just because it doesn't make sense to exclude one group and not the other, doesn't mean you have to bring all of them.

It is entirely possible Johnson is soft retired from the national team. I'm not sure what his club situation is and ever since he had a kid he has been happy and content to hang out in Germany.

I hope Nagbe and Guzan are on this just to embarrass them when they are left out of the camp. Would be petty, but appropriate. But maybe their probation is over. I don't really see a midfield role for Nagbe in the GB system.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good chance every single one of them is on the roster...

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Ream was completely uncomfortable in the role in March. There are quite a few veterans around that can be brought in. It just comes down to GB wanting Bradley, Omar, and Ream in camps. I don't know why. Why not Bedoya, Zusi, and Besler?

EPB being left off is baffling. Hopefully, that is explained.

This early in a cycle, try Robinson there and if it doesn't work then fine. But I doubt there is anything Lovitz can do that Robinson can't do. Robinson played LB for the U23s and was quite good against Holland under Kries.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    -----------------------------Guzan------------------------------
    Adams----------Miazga------------Gonzo----------Ream
    -----------------------------Trapp------------------------------
    Puli------------McKennie-----------Lletget-----------Boyd
    ----------------------------Altidore-----------------------------

Bet we promised Boyd a spot in Qatar to make him switch.

22. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think telling a guy "hey, you get to play with Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic" is enough to pry a guy away from the mighty Kiwis.

Paul Calixte, Dervos and tomásbernal repped this.
  23. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Again, I agree with leaving em all home. But if you're rolling with older players, give me 1. the more talented players, and 2. the players who failed miserably two years ago.

It's an insult to fans to keep selecting these guys.

Where's Backpass Beaz? He's still kicking around, and likely not playing much worse than these other retreads.

And are these old guys even in good form? Seriously, I have no idea. I turned on Atlanta this weekend and wasn't impressed at all with Nagbe (invisible) or Guzan (thumping numerous balls directly into the 18th row). I'm assuming MB is in top class form, but it seems Toronto is losing every week now?

Deadtigers, Patrick167 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The pool looks better to me than the pool in 2017, especially with the already-proven nature of some of the youth.

We haven't had a group of sub-21s like Pulisic/McKennie/Adams/Sargent at the same time since at least the Donovan/Beasley/Onyewu/Convey era. Let's enjoy the nice things and hope for more behind them.

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm surprised by some choices, but without the U20s, there might not be a missing player whom I think would help us much. Well, Wood, maybe Wooten.

I'll save my discouragement for when we move a BL ROY player to right back so we can get an average MLS midfielder on the pitch.