News: 40 Man Provisional Roster For The 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, May 20, 2019.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! No one said Gutman deserved anything. I just implied I understood the reasoning for the inclusion. I also said he won't make the roster and is one for the future.

Tom Collingsworth, WrmBrnr and wsmaugham repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The future is now!

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Nova and Ale are the big snubs.

Is Nova captied? How is Serbia fixed for 6'4" forwards with great feet?

I don't get leaving Bedoya off. GB said the priority for the Gold Cup is to win.

Crazy to leave Wooten out, too.

For me, I'd take Fab. I don't know who besides Puli is a better winger, even at his age.

Clearly, the goal with these call ups is something other than fielding the best available team - trying to win the tournament. I'm wondering if there is a team in the BL2 that would take Bradley or Trapp on a free. Not knocking those guys, just saying it's incomprehensible that he doesn't want to get a look at Morales.

Gyau is a shocker to me. I'm cheering for him to come back from that horrible injury. But, as far as I can tell he's gotten spot minutes at best at a at club that just got relegated from 2BL. Mueller wouldn't be a better guy to get a look at?

honest trade, Namdynamo, btlove and 4 others repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Lewis getting time this year?

I'd never heard him before Camp Cupcake, but he looked to have some real super sub potential

5. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players who can play LB in the 40
    -Garza (I know he may be injured now)
    -Ream
    -A. Robinson
    -Gutman
    -Lovitz

This dude plays in the USL. This is just as bad as when Klinsmann called up Ibarra in the NASL or Morris at Stanford.

tbonepat11 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Im surprised Guzan and Miller made it.

Thn again, the no.3 is pretty thankless. And some clubs wont wanna lose their no.1 for a few weeks to just ride pine.

7. Alex Blanton

Alex Blanton Member

Queens Park Rangers
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    I think Gutman is good enough for the MLS but Chicago got mad when he refused to sign a homegrown so they wouldn't let Celtic loan him to the MLS.

Deadtigers and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bedoya? Hashe played for the Nats since 2016?

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i concu. Hopefully this keeps him fighting to prove his worth

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Those five names tell you all you need to know. Sometimes you take a flyer on a player with future potential.

@Alex Blanton just provided a plausible explanation - MLS petulance.

I don't feel including Morris really helps your case. If laughable once, no one's laughing now.

Tom Collingsworth and russ repped this.
  11. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised to see no EPB, Morales, Nova and Gall. With Yedlin injured I expected to see Hines-Ike. Interesting to see who makes the final cut.

Gacm32, Namdynamo, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Not that I'm aware of. Are Nagbe and Roldan better than him? (I ask about them, b/c I know Bradley and Trapp are auto-rostered). Is Lima? I think Bedoya could give Lima a run for his money at the underlapping RB role. Either as a back up, or if GB came to his senses and played the best CM we've ever had based on club play as a ...... CM. (Come on Greggg, it was a novel idea when TA was a young, multi-talented guy w/ great stamina - but now ..... )

btlove and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, BA knew for certain that he was in deep doo-doo with the squad he had. I heard a SiriusXM FC radio interview with him months after the T&T debacle. He knew qualification would go to the last game and, paraphrasing him, "Then what do we do? Where do I get the players necessary to be competitive in the World Cup even if we qualify?" The player pool sucked. JK knew it and made things worse, IMHO. BA knew it and couldn't do anything about it because there too few players from the essential 1990-1995 age group who were national team quality. Then, by bizarre good luck, the impossible combination of events happened and the US failed to make it to Russia thereby avoiding the most incredibly embarrassing international performance imaginable.

14. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One concerning observation I've had that appears to be solidly reinforced by this roster is that Gregg appears to value calling in players with potential who haven't earned a call up over players with proven ability who are in bad form and could use a callup to help break out of it. Wood and Hyndman are textbook examples. Both have the ability to be solid starters but have run into bad form and one would think a few good performances against Concacaf minnows might be beneficial. I feel like that's a mistake in the long term.

DHC1 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    With no Johnson, Brooks, Chandler, Zelalem, or Green, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first Gold Cup in over a decade to not feature a single German dual-national.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude yes all of those guys can play LB so what's your point? It's not a position loaded with choices. It's thin. Very thin. I clearly said he won't make the 23 so what's the big deal about him being named to the prelim roster? He's one for the future just like Lewis, Mihailovic, Amon, Fossey and M. Robinson even if Lewis and Mihailovic have a handful of caps between them.

17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yes, take the biggest egomaniac in US soccer at his word, months after the most embarrassing failure of his career. Surely his honesty will shine through, as he took the job out of complete love of US Soccer, despite knowing it was ALMOST impossible, and it was amazing he got as close as he did, frankly.

(Now excuse me, I need to go figure out a lineup comprised of the worst talent in US Soccer history, while ensuring I slot our 50m rated Bundesliga dmid as a rb so we can start Bradley or Trapp.)

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A # of those picks are huge reaches. Gutman? Gyau? Fossey? Some of the others are just call-ups simply because they've been there in the past: Lewis, Baird, and Lovitz. And while it's not an abomination to see the names of a few, like Omar, Ream, and Nagbe; I just feel it's time to move on considering the combo of age and lackluster contribution.

I think I've seen enough now to where I can conclude Gregg is not going to be a good manager from a roster standpoint and there are seemingly too many voices in his ear. Wish they had aggressively pursued Marsch, but he's not as connected to the ol' boy's club, so what ya gonna do. I'm pretty excited about the young crop coming through, but at the same time still pretty disillusioned about the program on the senior level. Haven't been able to transfer the benefits of the talent infusion much as of yet, and I'm skeptical it will be maximized in the near future.

19. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Bradley, Jordan Morris, jozy. Yep again.

Deadtigers, soccerusa517, bct81 and 2 others repped this.
  20. mattyfire

mattyfire New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bedoya as Zusi2.0: pass. Also roster announcement has Adams as a defender so we get more of that experiment

eainterplay repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    This explains Guzan instead of Gonzalez.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and skim172 repped this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Pretty much anyone who has ever had a good half-season in MLS made it. I mean that more observationally than negatively. The pool is in a bad state. The absence of Germericans is noticeable. And no Wood, Nova, or Wooten.

btlove repped this.
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think Gutman is on this roster simply to help him with his Work Permit appeal. There is really no need for 40 guys this close to the tournament (are you really going to have 17 injuries?). Taking one of the spots to help the kid possibly make a move into Celtic is a gamble worth taking.

It is possible Gyau is looking to move back to MLS. Haven't we seen guys get on USMNT rosters in similar circumstances (Rubin)?

The interesting names missing are EPB and Nova and some others in Europe doing well or have done well in the past year at times. I wonder if it was just a case that USSF (i.e. ES and GB) didn't want to try and get them released if he couldn't guarantee them a spot on the final roster. Then, do you put them on the 40-man roster without a prior release? Guys like Fossey can probably get a release with a quick phone call. Or Fossey is on there as a "thinking of you" gesture.

Danilo Acosta not being anywhere near this and on Honduras's roster is a loss. He has his problems, but he had promise. Many around here thought he was better than A. Robinson.

The final camp roster comes out. You can just about pick out the names that should be dropped. I will be interested if the guys that got zero minutes in March will be there.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only think this if you don't understand that he's a complete defensive liability. He's a poor tackler and cannot effectively pressure at this stage of his career.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. We should shutdown the forum because Gregg doesn't care about our opinions. Here here!

26. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm afraid you may be as slow to understand as Bradley is to providing defensive pressure.