News: 40 man preliminary Roster for the Copa

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Footsatt, Apr 13, 2016.

1. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...icking-right-23-man-usmnt-roster-copa-america

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    True. JK tries lots of stuff, and seldom sticks with any of it.

Will be interesting to see what he opts to do going forward.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Clint in the hole would work best with an effective partner that moves off the ball and fullbacks willing to overlap effectively with the wide mids. The game against Dallas, while SSFC lost, saw Clint doing what I saw to be a really good job finding guys making runs with effective passes. (He was completely terrible trying to take guys 1v1 but then again that part of his game has always been really overrated).

We have some of those components. Assuming Yedlin plays fullback and FJ heals and plays there as well. Wood up front is probably the best option in terms of movement. Bradley playing a deeper role needs to happen 2 years ago.

swedust and wsmaugham repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt, he was excellent in CCL. But that didn't save LD, either (he was great in two legs against Xolos, netting 2 assists). Scenarios are different, of course, but like you the thought crossed my mind.

tab5g repped this.
  5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thx. For whatever reason the quote isn't showing on my screen.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straus for Sports Illustrated:

Guzan, Howard, Rimando
    Besler, Birnbaum, Brooks, Cameron, Castillo, Chandler, Gonzalez, Yedlin
    Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Johnson, Jones, Nagbe, Zusi
    Dempsey, Morris, Pulisic, Wood, Zardes

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/05/19/usa-copa-america-roster-final-projection-klinsmann-usmnt

Very similar to NBCSport's

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando
    Defenders: DeAndre Yedlin, Geoff Cameron, John Brooks, Steve Birnbaum, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Edgar Castillo
    Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Kyle Beckerman, Darlington Nagbe, Alejandro Bedoya, Graham Zusi, Christian Pulisic, Fabian Johnson
    Strikers: Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Gyasi Zardes, Bobby Wood, Jordan Morris

On the bubble: Ethan Horvath, Matt Miazga, Tim Ream, Mix Diskerud, Danny Williams, Lee Nguyen, Chris Wondolowski

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/05...insmanns-23-man-usmnt-squad-for-copa-america/

Ives for Goal

GK: Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, David Bingham
    Defenders: Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler, DeAndre Yedlin, Steve Birnbaum, John Brooks, Timmy Chandler, Eric Lichaj, Edgar Castillo
    Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Fabian Johnson, Alejandro Bedoya, Jermaine Jones, Kyle Beckerman, Darlington Nagbe, Graham Zusi
    Forwards: Clint Dempsey, Gyasi Zardes, Bobby Wood, Jordan Morris, Christian Pulisic

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/587/...n-for-klinsmann-to-experiment-with-final-copa

Very similar projected 23s

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Roster should be out soon. How good will my picks be?

This is the 23 I would pick.

GK: Horvath, Guzan, Howard
    Defenders: Yedlin, Chandler, Besler, Gonzalez, Brooks, Miazga, Johnson, Lichaj, Ream
    Midfielders: Cameron, Bradley, Kitchen, Acosta, Nagbe, Bedoya, Nguyen, Pulisic
    Forwards: Dempsey, Wood, Morris

This is what I expect to be the 23 picked.

GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    Defenders: Yedlin, Chandler, Birnbaum, Alvarado, Cameron, Brooks, Ream, Castillo
    Midfielders: Mix, Jones, Beckerman, Bradley, Johnson, Bedoya, Zardes, Pulisic
    Forwards: Dempsey, Wood, Morris, Wondo

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The question in my mind is, will Klinsmann include an injured Johnson in the roster? What about Altidore?

It's not beyond him.

9. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Goff reporting that Birnbaum is on the roster.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not surprised at all. Klinsmann likes him.

I don't dislike Birnbaum or anything like that, but watching him in MLS, he doesn't perform better than Hedges, Parker, Campbell, Farrell, etc. Thats not to say he's terrible, because he's not. He's not Alvarado or Orozco, I can at least understand an argument for him getting NT call ups, I just think there are more deserving MLS players. Birnbaum was at the front of the uncapped MLS CB call up line two years ago. Since then, he's maybe 5th or so choice of the untested MLS CB list, IMO. Not the worst call up Klinsmann has had before, but I don't think he's capable of doing a good job at the GC.

With the NT, Birnbaum has looked very shaky in games where we played teams that forced us to play any type of defense at all.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Doubt Alvarado earns a spot. I also doubt Klinsmann takes Pulisic, he'll see no need to rush him.

The Core is impervious to form, so Dempsey, Howard, Jones, Bradley will be there.

The rest of the roster, quite a few doubts in my mind. Orozco, for example. He may be a good utility player, but his form is meh. I think Gonzo and Besler are our best CB pair, but I also have a feeling JK is not particularly fond of either, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or both are left out.

GK: Guzan, Howard, Bingham
    CB: Cameron, Brooks, Birnbaum, Miazga
    SB: Yedlin, Castillo, Chandler, Ream
    CM: Jones, Bradley, Beckerman, Zusi, Morales, Mix
    SM: Bedoya, Johnson, Nagbe, Zardes
    FW: Dempsey, Wood

Maybe Morris instead of Morales or Mix. But it's going to be a roster emphasizing defense, as expected.

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birnbaum's sample size is small outside of those two weak opponents in January. We know he's good on set pieces. Doubt he starts once the tournament begins, a backup.

Alvarado & Orozco could be out, unless he see's them valuable to play as right backs. Still see at least one of them making it, he loves those two. Lichaj call up might be a tease to us fans.

Gonzalez could be the man cut for Birnbaum IMO.

I know their skillsets are different but it would be quite a joke if Orozco or Alvarado make it over Gonzalez.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Will be pretty frustrating to see Lichaj left off but that's what happens when you have the versatility of Cameron who can double as a CB and RB and plays in the EPL. Still hope he's on the team though, if for nothing more than vindication for some of us.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann has no faith in Morales. Mix's MLS form has no been good enough. JK is a huge fan of Morris and he's scored goals with the Sounders. He will be there.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's a LOT better than Farrell, who has a pronounced weakness that's troubled the Revs considerably. (And I was an early one on the Farrell train, but one just can't not see the issue.)

SJB repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watch NE more than any MLS team. I just don't think Farrell is the defensive weakness some think he is. I know that perception is out there, but he looks like NE's best defender (at defending) to me.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a major liability in the air. Right now, it's a disqualifying issue as far as the USMNT is concerned. I'm not saying this from an old-school American/English "all CBs need to be 6'3" lugs!!!" perspective. CBs on the shorter side can be perfectly adequate aerially and some can excel (Bocanegra). Farrell, unfortunately, is just really bad with that part of the game, to the point where whatever else he brings to the table doesn't matter from the US point of view.

18. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Only nominally like that: please note I was referring to MB+CD working "with our young wingers and forwards", not laboring with Zusi, Mix, AJ, and Jozy, and certainly not with fullbacks like Garza and Evans.

Also note my dream comment....

19. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC vs RB is going to kick off at 3:10 EST if the FA Cup Final ends in regulation. So the roster announcement will probably end up even later than it was supposed to be.

20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I havent noticed that mls teams are competitives in continental tournaments...........colombians teams always reached far in libertadores and actually are sudamericana holders

Colombian players the only reason they want to get of out the domestic league, is because football is in europe......fredy montero prefered to return to colombia despite being a franchise player in mls.....victor ibarbo returned after a diifcult year in europe.....so not all players wants ideally get out of there........actually colombians league have a lot of foreing players, some with euro experience.....and members of other NTs.....

so get informed a little

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  21. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club: