4 Expansion finalists announced for next 2 spots

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by newtex, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mind Detroit playing in a dome. All of the “cold weather” teams should have some sort of solution in order to extend the MLS season.

Paulo_PT and Footsatt repped this.
  2. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing in a fully enclosed stadium ensures they'll have solid attendance in months like March and November when it can still/already be below freezing out.

Not having the possibility to play "outdoors" might be unfavorable but I dont see how it's a deal breaker in any sense.

3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as Detroit fills a nice geographic spot between Chicago and Detroit and north of Columbus, I would only accept them with a SSS. The minimum exception i would make is the "Montreal Method". You could play your first 1 or 2 games at Ford, then move outdoors. Having said that, the weather in Detroit can't be too much different than Toronto and you have seen what they have done outdoors in the last 2 years of playoffs and finals in December. Now of course, if the league would shorten it schedule by shortening the playoffs and getting rid of the mid year friendlies, you could end earlier than December and outdoors should be a problem. I would think fall is still better than spring, as rain is worse for both the game and fans than just plain cold.