4 Expansion finalists announced for next 2 spots

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by newtex, Nov 29, 2017.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/29/four-finalist-cities-named-next-two-mls-expansion-teams

Cincinnati, Nashville, Sacramento, and Detroit have made the semifinal cut.

2. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Who I expected. I'd be most surprised if Detroit gets in or if Sacramento does not. To me the second spot is the battle between Nashville and Cincinnati.

The Franchise repped this.
  3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I say Sacramento and Nashville get the spots. Cincinnati will become the new Sacramento to dangle before the remaining expansion contenders.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    So, are the remaining two presumed to be front runners at that time or can other cities overtake them if they click an additional box on the checklist?

5. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the remaining two are the front runners, but they can be surpassed if the other cities improve their bids. The following is from MLS...

"The league made it clear that while only Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville and Sacramento are being considered for the next two expansion teams, all remaining markets are under consideration for the following two expansion clubs that will be announced at a later date. Those include Charlotte, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg."

6. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Detroit and Cincinnati have both NFL and MLB teams, so sponsor money is limited.

Nashville only has an NFL team, and Sacramento only has an NBA team.

An MLS team would have less competition in the latter.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hasn't hurt ATL

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nashville Predators say hello..............

Len and oknazevad repped this.
  9. oknazevad

oknazevad Member

New York Red Bulls
    Oct 24, 2005
    North Jersey
    You know, the team that was the Western Conference champions last year and sold out every single home game last year. The Preds are no afterthoughts in their market. And that's friggin ice hockey in the south!

Nashville is a good sports town. They're a strong candidate for that alone.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit has the Lions... 50 years of supporting a losing team.

jaykoz3 and oknazevad repped this.
  11. oknazevad

oknazevad Member

New York Red Bulls
    Oct 24, 2005
    North Jersey
    Very true. And the Tigers haven't always been top of the AL, either. And the Pistons have more loosing seasons than winning. The and the Red Wings nearly went bankrupt before Mike Ilitch bought them. Detroit is a dang good market, too. And we know Cincy and Sac have well-supported clubs now. Really, they can't go wrong with any of them, and I'd pretty much expect them all to get in soon enough.

12. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Cincinnati already announced a shirt sponsor contingent on MLS that would put them among the top teams in MLS. Carl Lindner and management has shown to be able to secure sponsors, they have connections that go deep in the city.

I don't see issues of overlap and soccer is actually really appealing to sponsors because our fanbase skews young in that 18-35 demographic they seek.

13. TallGoalie

TallGoalie New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Not sure why you have California instead of Sac, but according to those stats you can see why Sac is a front runner. According to that website, the change in population since 2010 here is 162%. Occupational employment doesn't seam right as the State itself employs over 64,000 workers in sacramento, that is not a typo. Also we are a very educated town with over 75% having at least some college (quite a few students with Sac State and UC Davis so close). Our median age is also lower than Nashville. And income is higher but that's expected in California. Since you just posted California, thought I'd add these numbers to the discussion.

14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I think all four get in to make 28, but Cincinnati and Nashville are told to wait out this round to incubate in USL a little longer.

Detroit's Ford Field plan doesn't excite me too much, but I think it's a key market and the league wants in it before it gets too full. Prime land for development is plentiful around downtown Detroit so if FF turns out to suck its not like theyll be locked into staying indoors forever. And if it turns out to rock, then you have another ATL/Sea.

Footsatt repped this.
  16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Detroit fall back on using Ford Field? That should be an immediate dis qualifier.

17. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Wasn't that news last month or so?

I hate the plan too but I think Detroit is one of those markets the league probably views as important enough to look the other way on the venue.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it’s not even an outdoor venue. It’s a true dome. if it’s not a short term solution it is totally unacceptable. Detroit definitely isn’t an appealing enough market to look the other way on that.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is the same as Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta has a porthole that theoretically opens in the roof but otherwise it is the same.

Will MLS go along with it? We shall see but "outdoor venue" is definitely not a requirement.

NaBUru38 and sitruc repped this.
  20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Come on, man, you guys play in an 18k seat stadium next to an airport, in the middle of nowhere. That should be unacceptable!

sitruc repped this.
  21. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    You mean that gorgeous new soccer-specific stadium that has sold out every game since it opened? Yeah, what a black mark on the league!

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a beautiful 18k soccer specific stadium (built to the size range MLS desires) right on a major rail line and freeway a mile from downtown San Jose? Yeah, terribly unacceptable :rolleyes:...

23. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The stadium is fine (a little small), but you also forgot about MLS' desire for stadiums being located in an urban core. So, San Jose does not meet that desire, but Detroit fits the bill that in that respect. It remains to be seen if MLS will accept the tradeoff of size vs location, but as Detroit has made the final four for consideration, Ford Field is certainly not considered "unacceptable" off the bat.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize San jose’s Stadium is as close to the “urban core” as Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, Los Angeles 2, Houston, etc... in so much as that means anything in San Jose right?

As for Detroit, an old fashioned non retractable dome is unacceptable period. Probably part of the reason all the rumors coming out have Detroit 4tg of the 4.