4 Expansion finalists announced for next 2 spots

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Nov 29, 2017.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, it was as annoying as the people who respond to other obvious trolls. This thread has been mostly good, but a few of you can't control the impulse to not go for the ride with someone who clearly is just here to be a douche. Makes you just as bad as them and ruins the thread just as much as the troll.

VBCity72 and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean our new friend Morrisey decided to spend the day in bed instead of posting his words of wisdom? OK, maybe he didn't decide...

NashSC repped this.
  3. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    #678 Honore de Ballsac, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Whilst others amongst us are rubes.

This troll got me along for the ride - because I'm accustomed to his/her tone. Many discussions on this site seem so routinely trollish, and folks who might know something here are so commonly dickish about it, you kind of have to abide that to see if another poster might be close to a situation and have some better perspective (rather than sitting in the audience or reading articles like me in this case.)

Burr, jayd8888 and NashSC repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that the tone of this article and quotes in it lead me to believe that Sacramento's hopes are fading away:

http://fox40.com/2018/02/01/nothing...blic-fc-confident-they-will-find-an-investor/

"We are looking for a lead investor," said Ben Gumpert, the team's chief operating officer. "We've had multiple conversation toward that front. We are continuing those conversations, and MLS is incredibly excited about Sacramento."

After all these years they are still looking for the big money person. Which sucks cause I want them in the league.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Shovel Ready"

This is why MLS has a formal bidding process now. The league's investors take their time in deciding who will be let into the league. They leave no stone unturned. They sift through all of the Noise that fans hear and accept at face value as truth, to determine if a potential investor group has long term viability.

Remember when Sac Republic's owners were begging MLS to take Miami's spot? Miami's ownership group has a combined wealth of what, $15 BILLION dollars??? Good times.

Kejsare, TheJoeGreene and mbar repped this.
  6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------
    Any idea what the combined ownership groups of LAFC and NASH are worth in comparison to MIAMI and for that matter SACTO ? Billions will usually win over Millions.

7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since billions now appear to be a requirement I wonder if any current owners might be pressured to make way for bigger fish.

BalanceUT repped this.
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do not need billions to operate a successful MLS club. With the SUM money, they make money.

However, if you need to privately finance a $250 million dollar stadium, then, yeah, you need billions.

Honore de Ballsac and Coyote89 repped this.
  9. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Yep. Public financing will become more and more scarce, at least for a league like MLS. So, you need billionaires to privately finance a stadium and still have money left for all the operational costs.

Plus, now that MLS is stable, they want owners that are going to be ambitious and willing to take a risk to push the league forward, yet rich enough that if those risks backfire, it won't drive them out of business.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    maybe it has more to do with the Republic's head honcho, kevin nagle- its interesting to note that in the last moment in december and just prior to MLS awarding expansion franchises, the major billionairess investor, meg whitman, pulled out - might be some undercurrents going on in the investor potential in the city- i think its more than just she lost interest and lost her courage to go all-in

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    kevin nagle doesnt strike mas a man who will release control in order to save the franchise bid

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    kevin nagle doesnt strike me as a man who will release control in order to save the franchise bid

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #688 Goodsport, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    It seems to have been that way for quite some time now.

Case in point: Multi-millionaire Dan Van Voorhis (who had previously owned the APSL's San Francisco Bay Blackhawks) was the yet-unnamed San José MLS team's Investor/Operator when it was announced as one of the league's ten inaugural teams. His I/O tenure was very brief, though, as ugly divorce proceedings with his wife at that time forced him to then accept a buyout from the league, which was why San José started the inaugural 1996 season as one of three league-owned teams (along with Dallas and Tampa Bay).

I'd heard that a few years later, Van Voorhis tried to buy back in and become San José's I/O again sometime either around the turn of the century or just shortly afterward, but by then the league was only interested in letting in multi-billionaires rather than "mere" multi-millionaires (I suppose in the league's eyes, it didn't want another Ken Horowitz / Miami Fusion F.C. situation). :eek:

-G

Honore de Ballsac and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mls is just being smart. Things may be good now where there aren’t likely to be huge cash calls on owners but if that ever changes who would you rather stand shoulder to shoulder with as an owner? Billionaires or millionaires?

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Net Worth of LAFC's Ownership is $4.5 Billion – mtest212 – Medium
    LAFC owners:
    Henry Nguyen
    Peter Guber
    Tom Penn
    Ruben Gnanalingam
    Vincent Tan
    Will Ferrell
    Magic Johnson
    Nomar Garciaparra
    Mia Hamm Garciaparra
    Tony Robbins
    Allen Shapiro
    Bennett Rosenthal
    Brandon Schneider
    Chad Hurley
    Harry Tsao
    Irwin P. Raij
    Jason Sugarman
    Kirk Lacob
    Larry Berg
    Mike Mahan
    Mark Leschly
    Paul Schaeffer
    Rick Welts

Miami MLS owners net worth
    Masayoshi Son - $23 billion
    David Beckham - $450 million
    Simon Fuller - $608 million
    Marcelo Claure - $1.26 billion
    Tim Lewinke - $1.2 million (multiple sources)

Miami wins...MMMMMiami wins!

But it's not just about the owners' net worth, there's also the companies behind them.

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're also forgetting the Mas Brothers who own multi-billion dollar companies in South Florida as well.

Burr repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Laudy

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    harrylee773 and JayRockers! repped this.
  21. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason that quote sounds fake.

superdave repped this.
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy hell, I just started reading that conversation via my mobile phone and kept thinking, "what the hell is going on with our mod"?!

sitruc repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But then you look at the Colorado Rapids who are owned by one half of a power couple (Stan Kroenke and a Walton) that probably has 20 billion, and realize that even a rich owner might not get the job done on the field.