3V3 Tips?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Spencedawgmillionaire, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I'm reffing my first 3v3 tourney this weekend. Rules are pretty simple, can't touch the ball in the goal area offense or defense, kick-ins, must score from offensive half.

Been watching youtube footage for ref position etc...

Anyone have any advice for this game?

2. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I would say don't sign up...

When I did one, I was told to stay on the touch line, much like a basketball ref would. Seems to be the best way to stay out of the way.

The tournament I worked said "no coaching" during the game. Worst rule ever...

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #3 mwulf67, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Review and enforce the Substitution rules, whatever they may be…

If they are fast and loose and on the fly, so be it…

But if they say gain attention of ref and enter/exit at mid-field, please enforce…

Not a ref, just a parent who dislikes the “on the fly” rule and the tricky bs tactics that tends to come with it, especially in tournaments where it’s not supposed to be allowed…

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The games are self-policing, so you'll be simply staying off to the side.

Bring two pens as you'll be doing games that have scores comparable to football (14-10, 14-7, etc).

Honestly, you'll be a bit bored to tears after a few games since there's not much going on. You're experience might wind up being different perhaps.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  5. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I only did one 3v3 tournament, but only because it now coincides with a different tournament. I had fun during the games. But it was very different. I agree 1,000% with mwulf67.
    Make sure you know the substitution rule and remind the players of it at check-in. Mine was to be an orderly substitution and often they'd "forget" and try to sub on the fly. The only other problem I had was being scheduled 10 games in a row. Five hours on the same field and the last couple games had temperatures in the low 90s. Because of the goal area rule, I did not stay in the center circle. I made sure I got down to the goal area.

But it was fun. Next year I will probably go to that tournament again as the other one will be in a different part of the state.

dadman repped this.
  6. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    My experience:

After committing the tournament rules to absolute memory, I arrived at the site only for the head ref to tell us all that the rules, as written, are to be enforced differently.
    Example 1: Rules state "Body is an extension of the goal box", so if a player's foot is in the box and he touches the ball outside the box, it's a PK.
    ---Head ref: This is not to be enforced, the body is not an extension. Only a PK if the ball is in the box or touching the line.

Example 2: In bold-"NO SLIDE TACKLING"

---We see a ref yellow card a player for saving a goal outside the box by sliding. We have a ref tent discussion about it. Later, the tourney people ask the yc giving ref about it and they say "You're allowed to slide, just not slide tackle." He gets upset about it, head ref states "no sliding." Tourney people roll eyes and walk away.

A couple of other guys I had made quick friends with asked what we should do. I told them I was going to call it like it's written. A coach will pull out the rule sheet and it will escalate from there. Have a pre-match with both coaches to make rules clear and sort out issues ahead of time. This may be ill-advise because the head ref/assignor is my boss, but I 'm a rule follower, a regular little Ricky Rulebook.

It was a weird setup. I lost a match because the ref on match before my first one started 5 minutes late and took forever at the half so I couldn't make my second match in time. I wasn't happy.

I had a good experience, tracked with the play every match because I don't feel right standing in one spot the whole time and potentially blowing a close call. Teams/coaches were all great, great parents. It was a fun experience, but I won't likely do it again at $10 a match and only 6 matches between having to be there at 8:30 and leaving at 3PM. I'd rather hang out with my kids.

P.S. Every rule and person called the little goal area a "box" and it hurts my brain calling it that.

P.P.S. Thanks for the tips/advice, muchly appreciated.

dadman repped this.
  7. BTtotheP

BTtotheP Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A 3v3 tournament combines the abomination of 3v3 with the abomination of a tournament. Steer clear.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Hey, 3 v 3 basketball just got added to the Olympics, maybe 3 v 3 soccer is next . . .

9. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Ok, this is weird.

10. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Did you have a bad experience? If so, please share with the rest of us?

Ironically, "Steer clear" were two words someone gave me once about refereeing. I'm glad i didn't take that advice.

My suggestion to the OP, try it once. If you don't like it, don't go back.

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  11. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I enjoyed the experience and the games themselves. Quick turnover lots of skills on display. It was a really fun day. I didn't like the fact that I was reliant on others to start and finish in a timely manner in order to get my matches in. $10 a game is fine as long as you're not losing them because of stupid people.

In the end, I didn't get enough matches to make it really worth my time, but half of doing it was for the new experience. As my wife said "Well, at least you weren't home SPENDING $60."

12. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Repping your wife.

13. psyc1Ops

psyc1Ops Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Singapore
    Hey, we played 3-on-3 growing up (sometimes 3-on-4), homework waited. The school bag was chucked somewhere as soon as we entered home, a quick change of the uniform, a quick chug from whatever was in the fridge, and back on the street (ours was a cul-de-sac, most popular). It was usually an old tennis ball we kicked about until the day someone brought a punctured futsal ball, then it was heavenly. The best times of our lives they were, and not too long ago either. It never was a tournament though, but always competitive and very educational, not only in deft touches and control but also notching up street cred.

BTtotheP and voiceoflg repped this.
  14. BTtotheP

BTtotheP Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nothing wrong with small sided skill building after school. I'm just skeptical of why anyone would want to formalize it into a competition.

No specific bad experience beyond working one too many tournaments that failed to keep schedule and demanded too many hours of time. I just really strongly prefer league play.