3rd colombia Goal Scorer was Michael Bradley's man.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 11, 2018.

1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #1 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    The third goal by Colombia should once and for all put a dent in MB90 as a starter in this team. He was completely burned by his guy. MB90 is too slow to be on this team as a starter. He was caught out of position on the 4th goal and was burned on the off the post shot in the second-half. In the first half he was completely skipped at the DM spot on the attempt that Miazga cleared off the line. Robinson should not be the only scapegoat tonight.

This will not be reported by the sheep US media. Instead they will have plants like Maurice Edu and Stuart Holden saying what a leader he is.

70runner, TrueCrew, sakibomb523 and 6 others repped this.
  2. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    I don't really post much. To be honest, the T& T loss might of been the last time period I posted but I was at the game and some US fans almost cried on how the United States Men's National Team is being operated on how best to suit Michael Bradley. My point is, a lot of people were not only upset that Michael Bradley played all 90 minutes but also that he completely jogged once again on the third Colombia goal just like he did a year ago.

3. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #4 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Video evidence

"Michael Bradley letting Falcao run right past him.. ☕️ pic.twitter.com/fbUoBVmcQn

— DMV Soccer (@DMVSoccer96) October 12, 2018"

Marky Delgado came from a much deeper position and almost caught Falcao. Marky Delgado was in a clear sprint back to help the backline while Bradley jogged.

TrueCrew repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lol. People are funny.

Has anyone on the USMNT every heard of a tactical late-game foul, btw.

That is a thing, you know.

TrueCrew, IndividualEleven and comoesa repped this.
  6. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    #6 Soccer888, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Looking at his twitter, That twitter person has a longer video of the play in question.

1050566701262213122 is not a valid tweet id

Two things are clear.

1) Michael Bradley was slow-jogging it for most of the play. This is an extremely poor attitude to have, if your a captain in a young team. Lack of leadership is very present. At this moment the game is still winnable as it was 2-2. On top of this which is not in the video as I saw it live, After the goal, Bradley threw his hands up in the air to blame his team for this goal. To me this is a player who is in denial of not only his own flaws but has no sense of his own role in a teams collective failure. You cant jog in a tied game and then throw your hands up at your teammates.

2) Both Acosta on top of the screen and Delgado on the bottom of the screen are running at all times. The younger players seem to be beyond Bradley at this point, and don't need him. Just my two cents.

gunnerfan7, TrueCrew, yurch10 and 9 others repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia's third goal was a beautiful counter executed to perfection.

I think that has to be mentioned around here.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    There is plenty of blame to go around on this play BUT the tipping point was Robinson over-running and misjudging the bounce. That opened the field to the subsequent Colombia goal.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. No surprise. The announcers blamed Delgado who was further behind Bradley. While not fully to blame on the play, adding Bradley's slow play and really providing any sense of positive strength to the team and you have a bad game from someone who shouldn't be in the picture moving forward.

10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #10 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Correct.

Here is the problem though. Robinson is a 20- year old. Micahel Bradley is a 31- year old who has the captains arm-band and plays 90 minutes and self proclaims he is "balance" to this team and has both ESPN and Foxsports coordinating a positive Leadership image on his behalf.

You cant JOG on this play exactly like you did last year when we missed the world cup and expect to set an example for the younger players. to me you come off as an entitled jerk especially when as soccer888 correctly points out Bradley put his hands up in the air in disgust at his younger teammates.

these games were meant for players like Robinson to make errors and learn because these are the teams we are going to play in WC 2022 if we make it.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreover, the thing I noticed perhaps the most the game was how Bradley actually bunches up the center Backs. He’s not only absent but counterintuitive. What looks like good soccer...him maintaining possession and circulating the ball is actually crowding the defense. He’s acting like he’s Andrea Pirlo, making 75 yard bombs on a dime to a racing attacker, but in actuality he’s taking from Brooks and Miazga the outlet pass to the midfield. I get it when you have JV level defenders who can’t pass out of the back but both Brooks and Miazga can pass. We don’t need Bradley crowding them. What happens time and again then is the opponent just fills in that hole and the spine of defense is broken. More so, it’s even worse, he refuses to defend.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Wikipedia involved somehow?

LOL.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of that style in general, and I'm REALLY not a fan of it with the team we have now. We have more athleticism than technique, and more technique than soccer brains, so why try to play like we're 2010 Spain?

Bradley making a triangle with Brooks and Miazga might have allowed them to get him the ball and then for him to make dynamic diagonal passes to bypass several lines. Him coming deep just constipated us.

14. Dr. Soccer90

Dr. Soccer90 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    According to research,

Falcao is 32 and Bradley is 31.

in the video highlighted, what it concludes is that both players older and younger displayed an effort well-beyond the player in question.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to the GC.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    3rd and 4th - to be honest the "killer" pass from our LB position was basically open for the taking. Good scouting or just a natural fit from Colombia. They really knew how to attack our left side.

They were very good. But Sweat should have grabbed a hold of the jersey there and never let go. How many late game goals will we give up before everyone understands a deadball at 4 meters is better than a back-heel defensive free-for-all.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Triple-G is connoisseur of that style.

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #18 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    And we don't need him to make those passes either. both Brooks and Miazga are good passers of the ball.

For example:

at 83:20 or 82:30 we had Michael Bradley come into the CB's space and couldent find a player with the supposed type of pass your suggesting. Bradley then back passes it to Miazga who instantly finds Sweat on a long sharp forward diagonal pass, which Sweat eventually was offside.

every angle we look at. Michael Bradley is a liability unless we have 3 CM's in the game so his weaknesses wont be exposed and he can step in at the right time to break up a play when a player tries to go right through the middle. And even then on several occasions, as highlighted by the play where Miazga cleared off the line in the first-half, Fast players will easily blow past Bradley if there aren't 2 other CM's creating a tight boxed triangle for Bradley.

The USMNT will have to be set-up to adapt to Bradley's current deficiencies, and that's before even starting the game plan.

19. Soccer888

Soccer888 Red Card

Mar 28, 2011
    This was actually emphasized by a Colombia fan at the game who stated "Falcao with a terrible knee history just easily ran right by your captain, any where else in the world, that player is no longer captain"

20. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    So it’s positive for Robinson to make errors, but inexcusable if mb does it? Sounds like quite the double standard bro

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the difference between a young guy on the way up and an old guy on the way down.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Falcao did really well to split the CM. Bradley looks caught between closing down space on the ball and thinking Delgado could catch. Just extremely slow to mentally to keep up with the game script.

Honestly, it doesn’t look good on either Bradley or Delgado (also jogging until it was too late) when Falcao makes that move. More so Delgado because in real time he overcommitted in the clearance and Falcao exploited the empty space where he should have been.. The problem of Bradley’s athletic ability to make recoveries is really concerning as people mention. Although, I don’t think he was in full gear until it was too late because, like me and Delgado, he was assuming his teammates could handle a 2 v 1 (sad face). But shame on us both for assuming since Acosta’s mark essentially was free to draw Bradley and Yedlin away from Falcao as you can see plain as day.

As mentioned by others, Robinson should have stopped the play by taking the Colombian player down after misjudging the ball. Watching it again in real time, I was really impressed with how uncomfortable the Colombian attacker made it for Robinson and put him in a difficult situation. Also impressed by awareness of Acosta’s mark to make him look like a fool and burn a ton of calories for nothing.

Finally, I think Yedlin could have reacted quicker and attempted a block in the end. He was quietly having a torrid second half.

Ultimately, really well worked from Colombia. Poor transition off the clearance for Robinson, Acosta, Bradley, Delgado, and Yedlin. Levels of responsibility in that order. What’s maybe even more concerning is how bad our shape was and the way Colombia was able to exploit is in transition after a corner.

ceezmad and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #23 HomietheClown, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    And to add more context:
    Bacca is a solid Striker who plays in Spain and has made plays like that against some very strong defenders.
    JuanFer Quintero is one of the most creative passers and has such skill at River Plate leading them to a Copa Libertadores Semi and was arguably Colombia's best player in the World Cup.
    Falcao made such a great run and beautiful strike like he does for Monaco against much better defenders and Keepers.

These are not just ordinary Joe Shmoes that can be easily kept up with and marked in transition by defenders.

These guys are some of the best in the Western Hemisphere.

neems repped this.
  24. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, absolutely correct. Once they saw the our shape dissolve after the clearance all three completely switched. Our midfield positioning certainly helped.

You just can’t switch of, be indecisive, or assume anything at this level. I think situations like these really illustrate top tier vs second tier game speed.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Conversely team USA also had a nice counter.
    Weah had such a beautiful pass.

Kid is going to be good.