32 Best Cities...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MLS3, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a league were to start up, are it was going to have 32 teams, which 32 cities would you think would be the best to start teams out in...

Toronto
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Calgary
    Victoria
    Edmonton
    Vancouver
    Winnipeg
    Regina
    Augusta
    Fredericton
    Halifax
    Charlottetown
    St. Johns
    Québec
    Yellowknife
    Churchill
    Iqaluit
    Mississauga
    Whitehorse
    Longueuil
    Laval
    London
    Hamilton
    Surrey
    Brampton
    Gatineau
    Windsor
    Saskatoon
    Burnaby
    Kitchener
    Hopedale

Those are my 32...tell me which you would remove and which you would add...

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think Iqualuit would be tough... but it might work. And I don't know about Churchill. St. John (NB), Corner Brook, NF, Mount Pearl, NF, Happy-Valley/Goose Bay (Lab), and down around Burin-St. Lawrence would all have sufficient fan interest to have a team; the problem would be money.

3. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From that list we can narrow it down to 10 teams.

1. Toronto
    2. Ottawa
    3. Montreal
    4. Winnipeg
    5. Edmonton
    6. Calgary
    7. Vancouver
    8. Quebec City?
    9. Nova Scotia?
    10. London or Hamilton?

Question, where is Hopedale, Canada????

4. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You do realize that Iqaluit and Churchill are around the arctic circle, don't you?

And a lot of the cities you mentioned are suburbs of larger cities, such as Mississauga and Brampton, which are suburbs of Toronto. Mississauga is an oddity in that it is actually the sixth most populous city in Canada.

I, too, and curious about Hopedale. And isn't Augusta in Georgia?

5. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a joke, the poster is just trying to be funny. Perhaps he is poking fun at the failed attempt for a pro league in Canada?

Hopedale is a town in Labrador.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Yes, no doubt the person was taking the piss. However Canada deserves it by not having the brains or the balls to get it's own professional league started.

But if we were going to name 32 cities that could have a soccer team I'd have taken away many and added Abbotsford and Kelowna. Burnaby is a joke as that where the Whitecaps/86ers played when they had a team and is basically Vancouver anyway.

Surrey is interesting it will be larger than Vancouver soon (is it now?). All you'd have to worry about is getting home safely from that cesspool without a gan of teens swarming and attempting to murder you.

7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was in Hopedale once... It's a tiny Inuit community. Definitely not soccer team material. But I honestly do think that, after the interest at the Challenge Cup, that Newfoundland has enough interest for a soccer team at national level. The only problem would be getting money.

8. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there was no offence to your country meant...I was playing Ultimate Soccer Manager Last night and I was editing leagues to make em all North American leagues, but I've only does cities so far and I did US (where I'm from) and then I was going to do Canada and then Mexico and see where i can go from there...

And so i just did a google search on the top cities in Canada and it only gave me top 20 so i put those down and then i went to a canadian map and looked up other cities to "spread" the league around a little and put down cities i had heard of...

And that sucks you guys don't have a D1 league yet, we don't really either...hahah...I live in washington state so i'm closer to canada that I would be to going to an MLS game...

But ya, I'm still doing it, so if anyone could give a REAL top 32...32 that best would support soccer is i guess what i'm looking for...thanks

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Well I'd add Abbostford and Kelowna (or Okanagan).

Abbotsford will have a team in the PDL next season (they've had one before). They have a 4200 seat stadium. Okanagan/Kelowna have a team in the PCSL and they have had one in the PDL. They have a 5700 seat stadium. Prince George has a nice 3500 seat soccer stadium. All of these cities are in BC. I suppose you could leave Burnaby in, even though that is the home of the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Definately remove teams from Iqaliut, Yellowknife, Churchill, Augusta, Whitehorse, Gatineau and Hopedale.

10. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I tried to play USM today, but it didn't work on my computer. I think I have to get windows 2000, is that correct? Oh well, it looked like a fun game...

You could add Kingston, Windsor, Kamaloops...

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

That would be Kamloops. However thats a little too close to Kelowna but what the hey.

Oh yes, add Coquitlam, they have a nice 3200 seater stadium.

12. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help guys...I'de like just a little more so I can get the top 32 "cities"...take into account everything but ownership or money or, hah, I'm just leaving that out...but city size, past soccer support and kinda stadium and weather but don't worry about that too much unless its impossible for a city i've listed to play there...also if teams are too close to eachother take that city out, but if they are just close but are both top 32 cities leave them...

This is my updated list, its split into two, top 16 Premier teams and bottom 16 Division 1 teams...I'm going off your input so try and be accurate, thats why I'm asking cuz I don't really have a clue except for looking up #'s on the computer but that doesn't really always tell you something....

Toronto
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Calgary
    Victoria
    Edmonton
    Vancouver
    Winnipeg
    Regina
    Fredericton
    Halifax
    Charlottetown
    St. Johns
    Québec
    Hamilton
    Kelowna

Yellowknife
    Churchill
    Iqaluit
    Mississauga
    Whitehorse
    Longueuil
    Laval
    London
    Surrey
    Brampton
    Windsor
    Saskatoon
    Kitchener
    Abbotsford
    Coquitlam
    Kamloops
    Kingston...

Thanks in advance...

13. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

There is no way you can have a team in Iqualiut. Who is going to watch a game in Iqualiut-Eskimos? The mean average temperature in Iqualiut is -11 C In the summer the average temperature there is 1C which is around 33 degrees fahrenheit! The rocky terrain there makes it virtually impossible to grow any vegetation, so there'd be no grass to play on!

Whitehorse is in the Yukon territories. No team would play out of there in the middle of nowhere.

Yellowknife is in the Northwest territories. Also the middle of nowhere. It has a population of around 20000 and they probably don't like soccer.

Churchill is also in the frozen North. Nothing there but Polar Bears.

14. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Krammerhead...you seem to know the most about whats going on...what about the rest of my list...any cities you would add, are any of those cities to close? too cold, in the middle of nowhere, any you would add? and on the ones you would add could you tell me why...thanks

And thanks for the info...keep it coming...

15. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did some more looking...what about these cities?

Vaughan
    Durham
    Metro
    North York
    St. Catharines

And since I have no clue, a question, is Metro a city? and North York? Where are they located, etc?

16. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    This is my updated list, its split into two, top 16 Premier teams and bottom 16 Division 1 teams...I'm going off your input so try and be accurate, thats why I'm asking cuz I don't really have a clue except for looking up #'s on the computer but that doesn't really always tell you something....

Toronto
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Calgary
    Victoria
    Edmonton
    Vancouver
    Winnipeg
    Regina
    Fredericton
    Halifax
    Charlottetown
    St. Johns
    Québec
    Hamilton
    Kelowna

Yellowknife
    Churchill
    Iqaluit
    Mississauga
    Whitehorse
    Longueuil
    Laval
    London
    Surrey
    Brampton
    Windsor
    Saskatoon
    Kitchener
    Abbotsford
    Coquitlam
    Kamloops
    Kingston...

Thanks in advance... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well Charlottetown has a population of 32,000 so is probably second division material. Saskatoon has a 6500 seat natural grass stadium and is about 215,000 so it is defintiely a 1st Division City. Sasaktoon is also more soccer oriented than Regina, which is slightly smaller, at about 200,000.

London is quite big, 350,000 or so I think and has a good soccer tradition so would be ahead of Fredricton and/or St. Johns. I would look at moving up London and Saskatoon and dropping down Charlottetown and Fredricton. Would also eliminate Iqualit, Yellowknife and Whitehorse and replace with cities such as Red Deer, Lethbridge and Prince George.

17. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

18. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Metro refers to "Metropolis" aka TO, as in CPSL's Metro Lions.

I also believe that Iqualuit's population is really low, like 3,500.

Laval and Longueuil are Montréal suburbs, but with adequate facilities, they could sustain a club.

19. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just a word on St. John's stadium capasities - King George V stadium seats 5000, but they fit 7500 in for the St. Lawrence v Manitoba match. Definitely fit to sustain a club. Also the field in St. Lawrence can seat 3 or 4000.

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That capacity is shrouded in mystery as no one's ever seen a decent pic of it on the web (just one closeup with like 5 rows of people).

21. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There are 2000 perminant seats behind one goal. On big match days, large bleachers are put around the other 3 sides of the stadium. This brings it up to about 5000. But they crammed just under 7500 (official attendance) in for the Manitioba match.

It's not much to look at, but they can fit the people in okay. I do admit, however, that 7500 was pushing the limits a bit. Alot of people were standing... 5-6000 would be safe enough.

22. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Could you get a good pic of it?

23. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Perhaps... I have a friend who has a digital camera, and mabye he could take a pic of it for me. It's not much to look at, though (without the match-day seats). It looks alot like the Winnipeg soccer complex, where the Canadian team has played a few recent matches, or the field where Canada plays Rugby games.

24. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That would be muy excellente!

25. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A Criteria for D! cities would one's that have a population of at least 250,000 plus a stadium than can sit at least 3,000.