3 things I wanna see happen before I die

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Apr 29, 2011.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    A French team winning the Europa League

A 2nd Paris team in Ligue 1.

The National (3rd divison) fully professional.

These are not unreasonable things to happen. I make such small requests.:)

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thankfully for you, gene therapy is making strides forward and increase in longevity is now a possibility...

3. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    WE'LL DIE TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST ONE MY LOVE ! :D

(note that if a French club wins the Champi... the Riches' League, I'm willing to negociate)

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    That already happened so thats why I didnt list it. Plus the stuff I listed is far more realistic than a French team winning the Champions League again.

5. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    1 . PARIS SAINT GERMAIN winning the league ( We're cursed I tell you ! ) I want this more than anything , it's been so long . :(
    2 . The other clubs in our beautiful capital to get big

Just the two , I'm easily pleased . :D

6. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes but I didn't see it. I started watching football since 1998. :(

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I didnt see it either. I mention Europa Laugue because no French team won the old UEFA Cup either and its certainly a competition they can win.

8. waltlantz

waltlantz Member

Jul 6, 2010
    How come A French team can't win the Champions League?

Isn't France as wealthy a football market as England, Germany and Italy?

9. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We're not a football country.

Marseille won the CL because the club had been made rich by Bernard Tapie (2nd richest club of its time behind Milan) at a time when a French golden boy could still afford it.

Now we're not talking about 220M francs anymore but 220M euros (x 6,56). Millionnaires and billionnaires and big industrial groups in France are not interested in football. Our elites often despise the sport where "22 overpaid morons run and run for a stupid ball".

Football has not the impact it has in England or Germany. We have less fans, who spend less money for their club.

10. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think one of the problems that France isnt as big football country compared to Germany and England is Paris. Among most countries the biggest city usually are a torch for the rest of the country when coming to football. The ambitions and size of the capital clubs really defines the ambitions of the clubs in the rest of the country.

Paris with 9 million only having PSG in basically a small ground compared to PSG having monopoly in Paris and PSG not winning championships doesnt help either. France situation is that a small town as Lens is comparable in all all levels of football to Paris.

So come on Paris FC and Red Star how many pro clubs have London???

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Paris is definately the problem. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. largest French cities arent nearly as big as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th largest cities in England and Germany. The total French population is too heavily concentration on Paris and in other countries its more spread out. England and Germany have many more cities of over a million people than France does.

12. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France's land area is much larger than England, so you can't compare them. Yes, the French population is more concentrated in Paris, as compared to Germany.

But you are missing alot about the French league's problems. First, the French government puts restrictions on how much the teams can spend. French teams can only spend the amount they produced each year. Lyon and Marsielle could've borrowed, so they could kept a few of the players they sold over the years.

Second, many of Ligue 1 stadiums are horrible, so that will turnoff many French fans. The France got Euro 2016, and many Ligue 1 stadiums will be renovated and built for Euro 2016. Lyon, Marsielle, Lille, and many other teams should see major increase in revenues with the new stadiums are completed. Lyon and Marsielle are should be able to complete, with the big europeans clubs, after their new stadiums are completed. They are 14th and 15th riches football clubs according to current ranks.

Third, PSG has been a mess over the last 5 to 6 years. PSG could move to the Stade de France, but the management of the team doesn't want to leave Parc des Princes.

Last, Catel makes many very good points. French elites can afford it. Bernard Arnault could turn a team like Montpellier into atleast another Chelsea.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Parc des Prince is where they belong and where they should be. Its going to be renovated/expanded to over 50,000 seats. Stade de France is too big for any club. There are very few clubs in Europe playing in stadiums that big and that are filling them. Parc de Prince is fine and isnt the problem.

14. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    True Parc des princes would be a perfect size stadium for a top Capital city club in most big european countries........ but considering PSG is the only club in Paris attracting over 1000 people in Paris it seems a bit small.

The question is offcourse does PSG have all the fans they could have and if Paris had 6 more pro clubs would the average be the same?

15. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have the third highest fan base in France only behind Lyon and Marsielle. PSG could easily sell out the Stade De France, atleast 80% of their matches.

16. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well I am aware of that but if you compare marketsize PSG should have the highest att. Not only that they should have one 4 times as high as Marseille and 5-6 times that of Lyon........... so realistically I believe they could fill Stade de France and if there was a couple of Paris competitors averaging 40k they would still sell out in Parc des Princes.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont think so. They arent a club that has a lot of female and family support. They rely heavily on their Ultra support and the club president put certain restrictions them and is trying to attract the women and families and it hasnt worked and people have boycotted. Their attendance this year is way down.

18. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well but basically that issue illustrates that Paris is one of the problems in french Ligue. Theres 10 million in Paris and if they cant............ well then shame on Paris :(

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Red Star is the best hope for a 2nd pro team. Paris FC and Creteil dont have the fanbase. Racing are in the 5th division and were going to merge with Alfortville but they will be relegated so thats off. The rest of the Paris teams in the 4th and 5th division are too small such as Villemomble, Aubervilliers, Drancy, Mantes, Sannois Saint-Gratien. 10 million people but very few care about sports.

20. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yeah thats a really a shame and I wonder why because thats quite unique in europe. Most big cities have at least 2 teams and historically more and Paris is still much bigger than the others.

21. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Maybe because Paris has always been separated from its suburbs. Mantes or Aubervilliers are called "Paris" but are not Paris. Parisians insist about the notion of "intra muros" like they were an assieged citadel. Paris is not this huge, unique agglomeration like London or Berlin. The limits of the city of Paris have stayed the same since Thiers' fortified line built in 1841.

22. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So you are saying that theres a bigger possibility for a new bigger club in the suburbs commpared to our old understanding of what Paris is?

23. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true, but this is not a bad long-term marketing strategy. I just hope they didn't expect it to pay dividends right away.

24. Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Marseille
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France

PSG has been mismanaged organization for the last 5 or 6 years. The club president's plan better work in the next few years or he will be fired. Lyon and Marseille are on another level than PGS in term of finances. They have much bigger fanbases than PSG. PSG want be able to keep up them. I hope they can keep up with Lille, Bordeaux, and Saint Etienne.

25. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Corrected.