3 points for win, 1 for draw, who thought of this?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by n00bie deluxe, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    And I have seen many a 0-0 draw that has displayed a great deal of tactical understanding by both sides and good play by both attackers and defenders.

I have also seen many high-scoring games that were an embarrassment to watch, when nearly all of the goals came from bad defensive play.

I think it is an over-simplification to take the view that a 0-0 draw is somehow "bad" and not deserving of a point to either team.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    First off, you should know that NFL and NHL are small potatoes when it comes to the sports world as a whole. What they do is generally irrelevant, especially vis a vis soccer. And as I explained in my previous post, they're not actually trying to eliminate draws.

And I'm not sure which league you're watching where teams actively play for draws. A) Points are too valuable and most of the time, you can't afford to lose 2 points by sitting back and B) killing the ball is never good strategy and usually backfires.

And not to sound like a broken record, I really don't see a problem with giving a point for draws. Getting a result on the road in the Champion's League, in the first round of the World Cup, or against Real Madrid are all worthy accomplishments, deserving of a point, at least.

3. Ilhan Mansiz

Ilhan Mansiz New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Anchorage,AK
    I don't think it is a freak occurance,I see it all time especially in the closing stages of tournament or league.

and agian the reason i said

A draw is as bad as a lost,is because it is a term people use in sports,Figured this is a sports forum that people would have known what i meant.

and agian i am not saying have 2 overtimes and a shootout every match i am saying just blow the whistle call it a draw and go home.Just don't give either team a point.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Even with the sentence edited, it still doesn't make loads of sense. Anyway. A draw is not as bad as a loss. In a loss, the other team scores more points than you do, and in a draw, they score the same number of points. Therefore, a draw requires a better performance (given the object of the game) than a loss requires.