3 months, 2000 posts, 0 players - continuing Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bandwagongooner, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I don't think anybody really took that seriously except the one guy who wrote it.

2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things.

1st - Your nickname for him is stupid because every time you read it you have to stop and figure out who you're talking about. It would be like if I started calling Cazorla - Sammi.

2nd - Mertesacker is a GOOD player. He entrenched himself in the team because he's positionally superb and an excellent organizer. He has physical limitations in regard to speed, which can cause problems. In every other aspect of the game he is an outstanding player. In fact, his speed limits him to the point that if he wasn't so good, he wouldn't play. Defenders are supposed to defend, something that Arsenal has finally done this year (2nd best defense in the Prem). Finding a defender who would improve the defense would be a difficult prospect. There are very few top level defenders, and even fewer who would be available.

GunnerDawg repped this.
  3. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    1. Ok, so for the reading afflicted whenever I write Marty you can take it as referring to Per Martysacker.

2. Marty is limited in speed _and_ agility which is actually a bigger deal in a lot of situations. I'm not as bullish on Marty as you are obviously but besides that the point is that the reason he is entrenched as he is goes beyond quality. Ie, he is organizational leader of the defense and it's pretty clear that we've got a big missing piece in that regard when he's not playing. Neither Larry nor Verm nor Szcz seems to have the knack for it.

Even if we agree that Larry is a better player (and that's pretty clear for me), I think we could replace him with Mats Hummels or Vidic or somebody and be ok. Whoever replaces Larry only has to worry about Larry's responsibilities. But whoever replaces Marty has to worry about a lot more and I don't know of anybody who can do it. So unless I'm missing somebody obvious I think we have to live with Marty for at least another year. But it does have a cost.

4. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shay Given isn't at city, he's at Aston Villa backing up Brad Guzan.

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Defense isnt the issue. Its defensive depth. If KOS or MERT go down, we are boned. I dont mind our over defensive approach we used to do that in the early 2000s the issue is back then we had a lightning quick counter attack, players who were quick of mind as well as quick of foot.

Defend deep, get the turnover, hit on the counter. Used to work for us. Currently works for Manure. Could work for us again.

6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the point though. Isn't Mertesacker more valuable because he is more difficult to replace? Players with that level of positional and tactical acumen with the corresponding leadership skills don't grow on trees. I would love to find a player that's better than Per, but those players aren't on the market. To me, players like Kompany (I think the best defender in the world), Vidic, Thiago Silva and Hummels would improve the team and aren't available. I don't think there is a defender that AFC could buy that would immediately be a replacement for Mertesacker, and that's because of his unique talents. Maybe replacing that leadership with a different goalie would allow for a new CB.

7. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We have been linked to Ashley Williams, think he would be an intriguing signing because he reminds me a lot of Campbell. Although he would defo be a gamble I don't see . There were rumors of us trying to get Aleksandr Dragovic too.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of the two (Williams or Dragovic) would be good additions, adding depth. I lke Dragovic, a great young prospect. With Williams, it may be a tough situation to become a bench player at Arsenal when he was the captain at Swansea.
    I like Per and he obviously has experience and leadership qualities however some of the posters above are selling Kos short from a leadership standpoint though. I have watched him lately playing and he has been very vocal and has become a leader in the team. He, himself, acknowledged as much, saying that since his english has improved, he has become much more vocal on and off the field.

9. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Kos was massive against the Toon. Had he and Mert played like that all season, we would have been 2nd.

10. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he did lose his place. i'm presuming age and looking to the future had some influence there. makes sense i guess.
    strangely though guzan has let in a LOT more goals than given did last season, considering last season and this have been quite similar overall for villa (this season they are arguably a better team) and guzan has been hailed for his performances.

11. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Seriously...wtf is KozIsCrazy going on about?

12. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some guys named Marty and Larry. Maybe his Sunday league team?

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Going to church on Monday this week as I wish to pray this does not happen.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    remember when some giumps wanted 'deuce'

what a bag of shit he has been at the yids

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  15. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of them are responsible for the lack of offense, especially Mertesacker. Sagna's crossing can be better but even when he sends in good crosses, nobody is in the box attacking the ball. The slow tempo and build up play of the midfield is what's stifling Arsenal's attack.

16. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone here at some point in time has wanted a turd on the team. It wasn't long ago some posters wanted Charlie Adam and Steven Fletcher at Arsenal.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. 88AgentS

88AgentS Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    37 games, 12 goals isn't rubbish, so your just talking crap for no reason.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree with you BigMan on this. While I was never on the Dempsey to Arsenal bandwagon, The Deuce has a pretty good first season at Spurs. 12 goals in 37 games was a good return.

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just curious.... why would you be against that?

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he's noot good enough for us or them

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not good enough for that kind of money. Guy looks generally unhappy.

22. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming that Dempsey is still playing a support striker role and is comparable to Pods (realize Pods had some games as lone striker but mostly played on the wing so I call that a draw), the league stats make me land somewhere between your two assessment.

For the 2012-2013 campaign:
    Shots Goals Assists Games
    Deuce 70 7 4 29
    Pods 54 11 9 33

Pods comes off much better in the comparison and I would say his season was "inconsistent" before I would say "good".

Also, one of the pluses for Dempsey was supposed to be that he was a league veteran and would not have the adjustment period of a Pods so, for one this should be far closer to the mean than for the other.

I would argue that Dempsey had some big goals and goals against some big teams in there but statistically any of the players we deployed close to a "support striker" (Theo, Santi and Pods) were superior.

Interesting stats, Santi is seen as our best (attacking) player but look at his league stats:

38 games 12 goals 11 assists and 115 shots

Compare to Theo:
    32 games 14 goals 10 assists and 87 shots

Even look back at Pods stats and Santi isn't a statistical stand-out like I expected (stats and what you see on the pitch do so often diverge). A very good player who will be better with an English season under his belt? For sure. But that blaze over the bar this weekend seems a point to work on when you compare his shots to goals ratio compared to the other two:
    Pods 4.91
    Theo 6.21
    Santi 9.58

Just my usual statistical drivel. What can I say, I am a numbers man.

daedalus repped this.
  23. LSUnited

LSUnited Member

Feb 11, 2004
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not what you were really getting at, but I'm glad Santi takes a lot of shots. He's pretty much the only regular starter willing to take a shot from outside the box.

Even if they're often off target, they at least pull the defense out a little bit.

24. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Santi takes harder shots than almost anyone on the team.

He is far more likely than our other players to take a pop from a deep position.

In contrast, Theo gets himself into dangerous positions with his speed, resulting in easier finishes.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of money? We dont know how much money he will cost and these numbers are just speculation! Anyway, IMO, he is a solid if not spectacular player and could be a good replacement if Bac leaves.