#3 in CONCACAF?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Jay510, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I have to be honest guys.

Now is the time Canada is going to step up and become a force. The wild popularity of Toronto FC and the incredible attendance figures seen at the U-20 WC make me confident that Canada is ready.

You could make a case that De Guzman is the best player in CONCACAF. I personally don't think that's true, as Nery Castillo and Andres Guardado were brilliant at Copa America, but you can at least make the case. Wasn't he named the most outstanding player at the Gold Cup?

I look for them to push really hard for that 3rd position in CONCACAF. I haven't been impressed with Jamaica, TT, Costa Rica, or Honduras of late. I just haven't. I also went to the USA-Panama match, and Panama does indeed have several good players. But I witnessed Canada absolutely destroy Guate that day also. Seriously, you could make a case that Canada has the best midfield in the region. De Rosario, De Guzman, Hutchinson, etc. are very strong players.

We'll see I guess. By the way the best thing that ever happened to Mexican football was the development of US Soccer to push them. The best thing for US Soccer would be for their neighbor Canada to develop into a power.

2. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Way to ignore Honduras. We usually/sometimes have more people abroad than the Ticos.

3. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you didnt even mention Radzinski....if he can find a way to get back to form they can have a very good forward leading them along...he was a premiership player for years....He will be 35 by the Hex though, so who knows the role he will play

4. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    My apologies. Please enlighten me. I only know of Suazo.

5. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada is no #3. They had a good Gold Cup run but lets not ignore the fact that they have a very shoddy Federation. While they may have some talented players they have shown over and over they lack any real consistancy in their game.

They have to earn the #3 distinction in qualifing for me to beleive they are better than a full strength Costa Rica or Honduras.

6. el mero mero

el mero mero New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Santa Úrsula
    You mean the Canada team that couldnt score a goal in their U-20 own tournament?

Bright future I must say.

7. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know that few U-20 players ever end up playing for the senior national side....in smaller countries they might, but in Canada, i doubt this is the case...a team like Canada put out there, probably wont even get a shot at the senior level...a select few might

8. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    I don't really see why everyone is all hyped up about Canada . They made it to semi's in GC so what ?
    Start naming players that are going to impress besides De Rosario?

9. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Currently, some of Canada's best player like Atiba Hutchinson, Julian de Guzman, Iain Hume, Mike Klukowski, Rob Friend, and Tam Nsaliwa played for Canada at the 2001 U20 World Cup. They went 0-3 without scoring any goals at that tournament as well. They all turned out to be great players for Canada.

And, I must agree. We do have a very bright future.:)

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Have to agree. Didn't we hear the same thing when they won the 2000 Gold Cup:confused:

11. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Yep we did, and everyone knows what happened after that:NOTHING.

12. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edgar Alvarez - AS Roma
    Julio Cesar de Leon - Genoa C.F.C.
    Maynor Suazo - Antalyaspor
    Carlo Costly - GKS Bełchatów
    Wilson Palacios - FK Crvena Zvezda

Those are the players I can remember on top of my head. I know there's more but I can't seem to remember them.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    who else is there to get all hyped about in concacaf ?

Canada evenly played the US and were denied a clear equalising goal. They also made mincemeat of Guatemala who the US struggled against twice. Player for player they are better than any other concacaf side besides US and Mexico. CAnada for me is #3 in concacaf.

14. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    So your argument is that Canadia is #3, only because there's no other team that performed above expectations in a short tourney?

Keep in mind that even with their "player for player" superiority, they were expected to suck. They didn't and they deserve kudos. But will they be able to keep it up during WCQ?

15. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    I perosnally think this is all useless posturing and its way to early to judge. Number 3 right now doesn't really matter, cuz your number 3 now in 2007, 3 years b4 the WC, wowiee good for you. Alot can change in 3 years.

16. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Quite true BUT .
    We are discussion who is 3rd at this moment before qualifiers start .

17. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    you're right. I guess what I should have said was, what is the point of that in the first place? To see how wrong we would all be again at the end? :D

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    3rd best team right now is costa rica, thats what the Fifa ranking says... :D

19. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Come on. What would we have to talk about in between cycles if these useless posturing threads didn't exist ? :cool:

Anyway, I was working on this idea. It would be a lot easier to rate teams if Concacaf was a league right? While this isn't feasible for a number of incaclulable reasons, I tried to simulate it from existing results.

Are taken into account:
    - competitive matches* between the top 10 teams since the end of the 2002 World Cup.
    * in 4-5 cases the results of friendly matches played during the time period studied were used to avoid too many blanks

- top 10 defined as follows
    sample 1 : USA/MEX/CRC/TNT/GUA/PAN/HON/CAN/JAM/CUB
    sample 2: USA/MEX/CRC/TNT/GUA/PAN/HON/CAN/JAM/SLV

One can do the ranking by comparing the points per game avg for each team to make up for the huge discrepancies between certain teams in terms of matches played (eg 37 for CRC and 13 for CAN). However this destroys the whole idea of the league.

A better idea is to get two competitive matches in between each team (unfortunately there is no assurance that these will be home and away, even if this is usually the case)

There are 3 methods possible
    - method 1 : take the best two results for any given team against another
    - method 2 : take the best and the worst result of any given team against another
    - method 3 : take the worst two results of any given team aainst another

The rankings were as followed :
    Sample 1
    PPG: US/MEX/CRC/JAM/HON/CAN/GUA/TNT/PAN/CUB
    Method 1 : US/MEX/CRC/HON/CAN/JAM/PAN/GUA/TNT/CUB
    Method 2 : MEX/USA/JAM/CRC/HON/PAN/GUA/TNT!CAN/CUB
    Method 3 : MEX/USA/JAM/HON/CAN/CUB/TNT/CRC/PAN/GUA

Sample 2
    PPG: US/MEX/CRC/JAM/HON/GUA/CAN/PAN/TNT/SLV
    Method 1 : US/MEX/CRC/PAN/GUA/HON/CAN/JAM/SLV/TNT
    Method 2 : US/MEX/CRC/JAM/GUA/PAN!HON/CAN/TNT/SLV
    Method 3 : US/MEX/CRC/JAM/HON/GUA/CAN/SLV/TNT/PAN

- Several Comments
    Jamaica benefits from having played a very low number of competitive matches (miss out on the hex, caribbean cup, as well as the gold cup)

Canada suffers from not playing enough competitive matches (none against TNT or Panama since the 2002 WC), and from qualifying automatically for the Gold Cup

Central American teams as a whole benefit from playing UNCAF against many of the teams in the 'league' whereas the caribbean teams (tt, jma, cub) play a lot of their competitive qualifying matches against teams outside of the league

- The US supremacy over Mexico in the 2nd sample is an optical illusion created by the fact that the US have played and beaten El Salvador competitively 4 times in the period whereas Mexico only has one friendly which they lost. Without that friendly match Mexico would be ranked ahead of the US in 3 of 4 categories

20. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Whoa :cool:

That's a lot of work. Repped.

21. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Thanks

So based on the procedures above the scores were obtained and/or simulated (for the moment I have trouble getting the score tables up in a readable format)

Therefore the two league standings would look like this:

Sample 1
    Code:
    	P	w	d	l	f	a	pts
    US	17	11	4	2	32	12	37
    Mex	15	10	2	1	37	10	32
    CR	16	7	4	5	27	22	25
    Jam	13	5	5	2	17	18	20
    Hon	17	4	8	5	23	19	20
    Gua	16	5	2	9	22	31	17
    TNT	16	4	4	8	14	26	16
    Pan	15	2	5	8	13	25	11
    Can	11	2	3	6	10	16	11
    Cub	12	2	2	8	13	28	8

Sample 2
    Code:
    	P	w	d	l	f	a	pts
    US	17	11	4	2	29	11	37
    Mex	16	10	3	1	40	10	33
    CR	16	8	3	5	25	20	27
    Gua	18	7	2	9	25	32	23
    Jam	14	5	6	2	19	18	21
    Hon	17	4	8	5	19	19	20
    Pan	16	3	4	9	14	25	13
    TNT	15	3	4	8	12	25	13
    slv	14	2	2	10	6	24	8
    Can	9	1	3	5	10	16	6
    Of course this is all irrelevant for WCQ. Qualifying in Concacaf has never been about consistency, but about peaking at the right moment. Other than the US's and Mexico's dominance very little can be deduced from all of this :eek:

Still had fun though.

22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't that pretty much why everyone is here? :D

23. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Erratum, Canada ought to have 9 points and not 11

24. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    ahh ... you got me. ;)

25. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    One thing all of this proves is the gap between USA/Mexico and the rest of the CONCACAF is pretty large, something that wasn´t true even just a few years ago.