3 goalkeepers too many?-discuss.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Olo2317, Jun 5, 2014.

?

3 goalkeepers too many?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2016.
  1. 2 goalkeepers

17.6%
  2. 3 goalkeepers

82.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    world cup rosters use to 22 players, but fifa expanded it after 1998 (i beleve the 3 gk thing was the reason) so there's no reason to complain. basically the squads are now 2 full lineups plus an extra goalkeeper, sure it's unlikely that a team gets 2 injured goalkeepers, but it only has to happen once

themightymagyar repped this.
  2. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't think it's too many, but I think it should be up to each individual team to decide if they want to take only only two and risk getting caught without a proper goalkeeper.

Having to use your third keeper is a very low-probability event, but the negative consequences of being caught without one when needed are very high.

3. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I don't think teams should be allowed to risk it, they should all have 3 keepers just in case. We don't want a situation where a team has to play without a recognised keeper.

The article doesn't make any great arguments for changing the rule. The nearest it gets is:
    That *might* be an argument in favour of enlarging the squad, but it has no connection to the issue of the 3rd keeper.

4. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    These countries used 3 GK's at the WC:

• France 1978: Jean-Paul Bertrand-Demanes, Dominique Baratelli en Dominique Dropsy
    • Belgium 1982: Jean-Marie Pfaff, Theo Custers en Jacky Munaron
    • Tsjechoslovakia 1982: Zdenek Hruska, Stanislav Seman en Karel Stromsik
    • Greece 1994: Antonis Minou, Elias Atmatsidis en Christos Karkamanis

Unak78, Sandinista and Excape Goat repped this.
  5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and in 2010, Uruguay took 4 goalkeepers...

Fernando Muslera, Martin Silva, Juan Castillo, and Luis Suarez!

Unak78, LGRod, diablodelsol and 9 others repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're managing Brazil, Germany, etc., you have to plan for winning a 7th game. In that case, you want 3 keepers.

If you're managing the US, there's no point in planning on winning a 6th game; the 5th game is as far as your plan should go. Of course, there are nations that realistically aren't going to play a 4th game.

Here's my point. Germany and Brazil are smart to take 3 keepers. The US, Honduras, nations like that, obviously would be smart to take only 2.

I like the 3 GK mandate because it puts everyone on a level field. But I certainly understand the opposite view, that part of the challenge of being Germany or Brazil is that you are going to bring 20 field players, while your group opponents are likely to bring 21.

7. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    We don't? That would be hilarious!

8. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    I would be for the teams being able to take 23 + an U18 player . this would give experience and project young players . National teams would invest in some more development of talent.

9. Beautiful_Game

Beautiful_Game New Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would say unless you have a field player who's good in goal, you should carry 3 keepers.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 goalkeepers definitely... if your starting goalkeeper gets injured that leaves you with NO goalkeeper on the bench... something happens after that, a red card or injury and it's lights out.... and should you have no goalkeeper on the bench, watch your opponents try extra hard to make that scenario happen...

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    And it doesn't take 2 injuries. The first one could get injured and the second one could get sick, or get a red card. Then you need a 3rd one in those situations.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It didn't ever happen in the past when teams didn't have a sub keeper, so I think such fears are a little unfounded.

Oddly I've seen my team put an outfield player in goal three or four times, and I think each time we've won. In one game we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2

13. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I once watched a Boca vs River game where the Boca GK was red carded for a 1 v 1 tackle where he didn't touch the ball and the second string GK was already out for some reason. Their third stringer then found himself playing in one of the biggest rivalries in the world. It can happen.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, certainly you got outfield players playing in goal.

My point was that the suggestion that players would look to take out goalkeepers deliberately if they had no sub keeper looks unlikely, as I can't think of a single occasion in the past where that's happened.

15. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My country has Buffon with an ankle issue, and Sirugu still not 100% this morning. Thankfully we have 3 goalkeepers. If anything I would like to see 2 or 3 more field players added.

16. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet but don't forget North Korea only took 2 goalkeepers to the last world cup. They named an extra striker in place of the 3rd 'keeper.

However, FIFA wasn't happy with this and said that that player could only play as a 'keeper during the tournament.

Unak78 and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  17. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I honestly think that squads should be unlimited.